Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Teaching in UK - agencies?

Options
  • 01-01-2015 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi, I'm due to finish my PDE this June and have been considering moving to England to teach next year as it seems my chances of getting any substantial work here in Ireland are slim. From reading other posts here, I have heard alot of negativity about the teacher recruitment agencies in the uk, however I would be unsure how to go about getting a job directly through the school. A friend of mine has recommended Career Teachers to me and I've also heard good things about KS education. Anyone have any experience with these agencies or any agencies? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

LeonDen wrote: »
    Hi, I'm due to finish my PDE this June and have been considering moving to England to teach next year as it seems my chances of getting any substantial work here in Ireland are slim. From reading other posts here, I have heard alot of negativity about the teacher recruitment agencies in the uk, however I would be unsure how to go about getting a job directly through the school. A friend of mine has recommended Career Teachers to me and I've also heard good things about KS education. Anyone have any experience with these agencies or any agencies? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I worked with uteach who were really helpful. They offered to reimburse all my moving expenses and were very quick to respond to emails and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Hunter gatherer

I am in a similar position and don't know whether to go through an agency or not. There are so many of them it is hard to know which ones are good. Was reading through some posts on a facebook page about some NQTs were took the plunge and moved to the UK in 2014.

Here is what they said if it helps.

Hi guys! Just wondering about anyone who has gone to the UK this year, how are people finding it? I've just signed up with Engage this week, so if anyone has any advice it'd be much appreciated

Great but expect workload, paper work and inspections. In terms of experience it's been great.

Ye really tough. So much work. Uteach is a really good company to go through they pay your flights and help you find accommodation.

No its all helpful. By paperwork are we talking reports, lesson plans and all that? I'm only going because nothing has come up here and I never wanted to sub so yeah just for some experience...

It's really tough in our school and anyone I know that's over here is finding it tough. Like you're in school early and you don't leave until late and you still have work to do. It feels like you never leave. The kids are great the majority of the time, that's in an outstanding catholic school, I can't speak for anyone else tho! You will be so busy, but if you know you wanna be a teacher for the rest of your life then the experience is worth it! Just choose carefully and don't take a job unless you see the school! It is really supportive too - but you will be wrecked! But I suppose that's with any new job until we all get used to it! Best of luck!!

Very exhausting but I really like it! And talking to people in other schools it seems the same everywhere! I have heard some not so nice stories about engage though.. I haven't dealt with them personally so I'm not talking from experience!!

I live in a small town so it is a quiet place but the students come from all over but they are so good compared to students in Ireland, in my opinion. I originally started going with an agency but ended up going privately. That way I was able to negotiate pay/benefits etc. so you might want to look into that.

Make the move! Hard work but great experience. You will get a 10% reduced timetable as an NQT. This time enables us to ensure the NQT folder is complete! Wouldn't recommend an agency, go privately, sign the contract with the governors. Catholic schools are good, students are very conforming as opposed to non-Catholic schools! Hope this helps. Best of luck!

I am in a similar position and don't know whether to go through an agency or not. There are so many of them it is hard to know which ones are good. Was reading through some posts on a facebook page about some NQTs who took the plunge and moved to the UK in 2014.

Here is what they said if it helps.

Hi guys! Just wondering about anyone who has gone to the UK this year, how are people finding it? I've just signed up with Engage this week, so if anyone has any advice it'd be much appreciated

Great but expect workload, paper work and inspections. In terms of experience it's been great.

Ye really tough. So much work. Uteach is a really good company to go through they pay your flights and help you find accommodation.

No its all helpful. By paperwork are we talking reports, lesson plans and all that? I'm only going because nothing has come up here and I never wanted to sub so yeah just for some experience...

It's really tough in our school and anyone I know that's over here is finding it tough. Like you're in school early and you don't leave until late and you still have work to do. It feels like you never leave. The kids are great the majority of the time, that's in an outstanding catholic school, I can't speak for anyone else tho! You will be so busy, but if you know you wanna be a teacher for the rest of your life then the experience is worth it! Just choose carefully and don't take a job unless you see the school! It is really supportive too - but you will be wrecked! But I suppose that's with any new job until we all get used to it! Best of luck!!

Very exhausting but I really like it! And talking to people in other schools it seems the same everywhere! I have heard some not so nice stories about engage though.. I haven't dealt with them personally so I'm not talking from experience!!

I live in a small town so it is a quiet place but the students come from all over but they are so good compared to students in Ireland, in my opinion. I originally started going with an agency but ended up going privately. That way I was able to negotiate pay/benefits etc. so you might want to look into that.

Make the move! Hard work but great experience. You will get a 10% reduced timetable as an NQT. This time enables us to ensure the NQT folder is complete! Wouldn't recommend an agency, go privately, sign the contract with the governors. Catholic schools are good, students are very conforming as opposed to non-Catholic schools! Hope this helps. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Dave0301

I would suggest going with an agency initially as they will cover the cost of flights etc. to interviews. Once you have a job and are set up in the UK you can look for work direct with a school. If you go with an agency, just double check if they are getting you a permanent job with a school, or if you will be doing supply work.

I went with Engage, I found them to be helpful, and I secured a permanent full time position through them.

In terms of the teaching and workload, yes it can be quite a shock to the system initially, and there is a lot of emphasis on data tracking and report writing. However, if you get a nice school, and a supportive department, this can make all the difference. Time management, and being smart about how you use your time is important also.

Any more questions, ask away.

Interactive whiteboards - obviously it may depend on the school. But I have heard they are used widely in the UK.

Is there any training involved for them or is it a case of pick it up as you go along yourself situation? I have never really had to use them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Interactive whiteboards - obviously it may depend on the school. But I have heard they are used widely in the UK.

Is there any training involved for them or is it a case of pick it up as you go along yourself situation? I have never really had to use them.

Don't use one myself - although if you are in any way ICT literate, then you will pick it up very quickly. Ask any other teacher that uses them, and I am sure they will give you a run through.

You can use normal PowerPoint presentations on it, and it can be used as a normal white board once you use the pens that are designed for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MissSilly

Hi Guys

There are 5 NQTs in my school ( including me) with UTeach and I would highly recommend them if you are looking to make the move over. I was totally unsure myself until I visited the a few schools that UTeach flew me over to. They dont apply much pressure and if you tell them what you want they will always do their best to accommodate you. They were also very helpful with finding accommodation and collected us from the airport on the very first day. If you would like any further information please don't hesitate to PM me.

Thanks for all of the information. May just be a case of trial and error. Choose an agency and go for it. Sort out any problems as and when they may occur. Better to have a tough first year than be employed in a career or job you don't want perhaps.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

As previously posted, if you are any way ICT literate, you will pick them up - I had no experience of using them before I went over, but I ended up delivering a staff training session on them last term. If you do get a school with IWB, let me know and I'll send on the booklet I put together.

Every classroom would have in built projectors, lots of schools expect you to have everything on powerpoint, but not necessarily use the IWB.

Would some schools have power points in a shared resource folder? Owing to the curriculum being different it would be beneficial to get resources from fellow teachers at the school (as opposed to grabbing them from tes websites etc) the day before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Would some schools have power points in a shared resource folder? Owing to the curriculum being different it would be beneficial to get resources from fellow teachers at the school (as opposed to grabbing them from tes websites etc) the day before.

Depends on the school and the subject - we have some shared powerpoints in our department for Maths, but not a huge load, or we use a website called MyMaths which has loads of lessons preloaded on it already.

I know the science department has all their powerpoints linked to their schemes of work already, which makes it very easy - different schools, different systems. When I'm teaching I use a combination of whiteboard and projected work, some days I may not use any projector

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I went through an agency.

What are your subjects? I could pass on your details to my school if you want if they're in an understaffed area?

To be honest depending on your subjects agencies can either be a help or a hinderance. If for example, you teach English or Maths, you'd probably be best off ringing up a bunch of different schools in the UK. tes.co.uk have plenty listed.

Academies aren't the greatest but thats where you'll probably end up with an agency anyway. They are full of young staff though so it's a lot easier to make friends than in a school back here.

Experience wise, nothing beats it. The teachers are so helpful and you will come away from it with more resources than you'll know what to do with. You do get a 10% reduction time in teaching which, my advice would be to use to go observe other teachers in your area. If I could do it all again, this would be the only thing I did different

Even if you hated it, by Christmas you would have your 300 hours done and could come home and do the Workshops there.
    I originally started going with an agency but ended up going privately. That way I was able to negotiate pay/benefits etc. so you might want to look into that.

This

If you complete the NQT year or some sort of induction that the school sign off on, you can get your 300 hours done without having to do the workshops from what I've been told. Something I must do, I have the form to say my hours are done, but need to get the induction letter - but I came straight to the UK, didn't bother joining the teaching council as I knew I was going to the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bre2016

Hi there, I'm currently searching for schools with Uteach at the moment for a September 2016 start. I've had a look at some schools in Essex that have got my attention! Has anyone been in the Essex area (living/working) or have had some dealings with Uteach?

Thanks in advance
    :)

Advertisement