Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

January transfer window rumors and gossip

• 24-12-2014 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭

Thread is just that, rumors and gossip from all sides of the interweb, please don't bash something that's posted, everything's to be taken with a huge pouch if salt.

I'll kick it off. Rumor Inter Milans director of football is in town to buy Paulinho......

I'll start the van...!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭slegs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

slegs wrote: »

No way will levy pay 7mill for a striker out of contract in the summer and rightly so

• Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

As D:ream once said ..... Ings can only get better....

but seriously. .. of all the potential transfers ... Austin, Berahino, Bony etc.. Ings is at the bottom of that list for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Seems like a pointless transfer to be honest. No option to buy, and we are already pretty packed in midfield. Unless Paulinho and or someone else leaves, i don't see the point of this.

Kiith wrote: »
    Seems like a pointless transfer to be honest. No option to buy, and we are already pretty packed in midfield. Unless Paulinho and or someone else leaves, i don't see the point of this.

I can see us offloading Paulinho and Townsend, the easily sellable ones

Kiith wrote: »

Paulinho will leave for 15 mill or so. This guy will take his place on the bench for 6 months and keep money for the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Lennon & Naughton could leave. Depending on Levy's valuation, that is? Don't see any mega singing happening. Overall the team is slowly starting to play to its potential, still a long, long way to go.

Danny Rose's comments brought a smile to my face, you can understand why certain players don't even make the bench.

“Let’s just say if you don’t work hard under the manager, you’re not playing! You better make sure you give 100 per cent each day in training, which is very hard and intense.

“But I really enjoy it. As long as the manager sees you are willing to work hard and want to fight hard for your team-mates then you will go far with him.”

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I can see us offloading Paulinho and Townsend, the easily sellable ones

Would you sell townsend, I certainly wouldn't... not now anyway mid season with no other winger apart chadli and lamela because lennon is not wanted.
    mickman wrote: »
    Paulinho will leave for 15 mill or so. This guy will take his place on the bench for 6 months and keep money for the summer

No chance of getting 15m now for Paulinho is there??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Hatch99 wrote:
    No chance of getting 15m now for Paulinho is there??

Closer to 5M I'd say.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Would you sell townsend, I certainly wouldn't..

Yes, cash in, he's a one trick pony, still living off that England goal, all hype. One good performance does not make him worth keeping. He's not able to cross the ball in from the corner so cuts inside every single time, so predictable, so easy to defend against, they just steer him to the corner.

Closer to 5M I'd say.

I think we will get 15 from seria a or brazil

Yes, cash in, he's a one trick pony, still living off that England goal, all hype. One good performance does not make him worth keeping. He's not able to cross the ball in from the corner so cuts inside every single time, so predictable, so easy to defend against, they just steer him to the corner.

hhhmm maybe.. we'll see what the manager decides, I have a feeling he'll keep him... could be wrong.

hhhmm maybe.. we'll see what the manager decides, I have a feeling he'll keep him... could be wrong.

Andros has great feet , he can control a ball out of the air better than most

However he is , how do I say this , "stupid"

He was taken off against Chelsea because he would have kept trying fancy tricks , losing the ball and put our defenders under pressure. I don't think he understands that to win a game is more important than wowing the crowd with a fancy back heel

I'd sell for 10 mill in a heartbeat but would keep him if the offers are around 5

mickman wrote: »
    Andros has great feet , he can control a ball out of the air better than most

However he is , how do I say this , "stupid"

He was taken off against Chelsea because he would have kept trying fancy tricks , losing the ball and put our defenders under pressure. I don't think he understands that to win a game is more important than wowing the crowd with a fancy back heel

I'd sell for 10 mill in a heartbeat but would keep him if the offers are around 5

:D harsh 99% of footballers are stupid ;)

:D harsh 99% of footballers are stupid ;)

Ha ha. Compare his decision making to Kane and there is some difference

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

• Advertisement

I'd take Defoe back as a stop gap for the remainder of the season. Highly unlikely to happen of course. Effectively we have one striker. I don't think many club who have aspirations of a top four finish would be so bold to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

A massive step backwards if we took him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

A couple of things that we should all know about these transfer windows...

Swap deals NEVER happen!!!!!

80%ish of all transfers are done in the last few days of January!!!

The next few weeks will be full of paper fillers.

Me personally, i wouldnt mind ...

1. Ings, Austin, Shane Long.

2. Delph,

cant think of anyone else..

not all them, any of them....
    I dont see us getting a Shaqiri or Knopoylanka although i would love him over the lot!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I'm not mad about Berahino. Yes he scores a few goals, though he has a bad rep off the pitch. He was done for drink driving yesterday and I've heard his name linked to other off-pitch antics.

Plus £20m?! Nuts! He's scored 13 league goals in over 50 games for WBA.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    If berahino has poor time keeping and a bad attitude then poch won't want him. Strikes me as a bit of a disciplinarian when it comes to things like that

these part exchanges almost never happen anyway.

If berahino has poor time keeping and a bad attitude then poch won't want him. Strikes me as a bit of a disciplinarian when it comes to things like that

these part exchanges almost never happen anyway.

Well, its just rumors. Something to talk about I guess. I'd say your spot on with Berahino. He's the same age as Kane, but a bad boy, where's Kane's in bed by 9:00.

Pullis isn't exactly Mary Poppins, so he'll have to tow the line. I've only seen him play a few times. He looks deceptively small, probably not in reality. He's stronger than I imagined.

If he has a good 2nd half to the season his value will shoot up, no doubt Liverpool will pay over the odds yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    I'd take Defoe back as a stop gap for the remainder of the season. Highly unlikely to happen of course. Effectively we have one striker. I don't think many club who have aspirations of a top four finish would be so bold to do so.

Why do you say we have only one striker? Do you mean one good striker? We sold Defoe because he can't play up front on his own. Nothing has changed there. Buying him just means we need to go 4-4-2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

A couple of things that we should all know about these transfer windows...

Swap deals NEVER happen!!!!!

80%ish of all transfers are done in the last few days of January!!!

The next few weeks will be full of paper fillers.

Me personally, i wouldnt mind ...

1. Ings, Austin, Shane Long.

2. Delph,

cant think of anyone else..

not all them, any of them....
    I dont see us getting a Shaqiri or Knopoylanka although i would love him over the lot!!!

Yeah I wouldn't mind Ings, Austin or Long.

Delph is about as good as the 6 midfielders we already have.

Shaqiri looks like a class act.

Konoplyanka would probably flop like almost every other Russian/Ukrainian who ever played in England. He looks great I admit, but they have an awful track record.

• Advertisement

Ormus wrote: »
    Why do you say we have only one striker? Do you mean one good striker? We sold Defoe because he can't play up front on his own. Nothing has changed there. Buying him just means we need to go 4-4-2.

Well Ade is exiled, Soldado hasn't found his shooting boots, nor does he look like he will anytime soon.

God forbid Kane picks up an injury, out for a few games, even worse the season, or goes through a goal drought. Only other option is to play a winger up front. Will you be happy with Soldado leading the line?

I know Defoe isn't the ideal answer, put pickings are slim. I'd take him till the end of the season if it were an option. I understand January isn't the ideal time to do business. Still, its a gamble relying on one striker to come up with the goods in every game.

Our midfield better keep contributing.

Advertisement