Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hanging Christmas Lights Outside

Options
  • 09-12-2014 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Wondering if anyone can help.. trying to hang outdoor xmas lights (icicles) from gutter. used self adhesive hooks which lasted one night - lights on the ground this morning :)

Does anyone know where i can get gutter hooks/clips locally or is there another way to hang them without having to pick them up every morning :)

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

i have a wee trick, i use curtain hoops, ye know the white swirly yokes? pop them along the length of the lights and slip them into the grooves of the fascia! never fallen down once! and they stay on so it takes about 5 minutes every year to throw them up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

We got the gutter ones in home store and more and they seem good (so far).

About 1.99 for 100

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Mikey101

thanks both! very inventive we'llallhavetea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

thank you! cannot take the credit, my uncle told my dad about this years ago and we've been using it ever since! :)

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭kellymick39

Mikey101 wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone can help.. trying to hang outdoor xmas lights (icicles) from gutter. used self adhesive hooks which lasted one night - lights on the ground this morning :)

Does anyone know where i can get gutter hooks/clips locally or is there another way to hang them without having to pick them up every morning :)

Thanks,

Gutter clips is what you wanted,they clip onto your gutter in a split second,and then you clip the lights onto the gutter clips.No messing about and job done very fast too.They stay in put in the harshest of weather and the strongest of winds,and so too do your lights.
    BnQ were selling off bags of the long gutter clips for 60 cents a bag the other day,I stocked up on some spare bags of them for the next few years.They are very handy for outdoor light hanging indeed.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

if your facia board is made of timber...you could also use cable clips

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭kellymick39

fryup wrote: »
    if your facia board is made of timber...you could also use cable clips

IMO alot of needless and pointless hassle when up a ladder and trying to hammer in clips to hold up lights.Then you also have the hassle of unclipping the lights back out of the cable clips with a flathead screwdriver when little Christmas has passed.All in all alot of needless and pointless hassle on a ladder in wintery weather or wet windy weather.Plus you will be piercing through the plastic pvc facia board and then the plywood beneath,which over time with frost,ice,rain and wind will make it worse and create splits to occur.You will also ruin the look of any painted facia boards too with holes and cracks in the paint and wood.
    But whatever floats your boat.
    Gutterclips for the win allways.And at 60 cents a bag in BnQ,well its a no brainer.:)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127582733@N07/15767732607/

Lots more bags of gutter clips put out for sale today,so bought some more.Handy to have for future years to come.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127582733@N07/16157259632/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

MOD NOTE: KELLYMICK THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT IN FUTURE IF YOU COULD EMBED PHOTOS RATHER THAN HOTLINKING YOUR FLICKR ACCOUNT. IF YOU HAVE ANY ISSUES WITH EMBEDDING PICTURES I'LL BE HAPPY TO HELP. THANKS.

Advertisement