Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

The one glaring absentee is Donna McLoughlin, the Irish champion. I can only presume she declined the invitation.
    She didn't reach the distance standard required for selection

There are 2 boardsies amongst the Irish team. Since there are also some nominated running for other teams, boards.ie will be very well represented.

afaik there is 3 other contributors from boards running in the open race,as well as donna mc..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

ultraman1 wrote: »
    She didn't reach the distance standard required for selection

Ah! Didn't even think of that!
    Still weird that the reigning Irish champ doesn't make the cut, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Very interesting article there! Nice one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Brilliant! Thanks for that! I'm seriously considering making the "big switch" :D after a lot of reading and attending Barry Murray's talk in Blessington a month ago. I've asked Santa for a few books on the matter, including Atkins and Ketogenic... It sounds to me that Volek and Phinney's Low Carb/High Fat approach, Keto and Atkins are very similar if not the same :confused:, even though they seem to avoid mentioning Atkins in their books. Yet they have co-authored the book New Atkins for a New You... :rolleyes:

Does anyone here do LCHF/Atkins/Keto? (I know some of you do ;)) What are your impressions? What sort of impact has it had on performance and general health? What sort of intensity sessions do you do?

Was reading that yesterday. Very intesting article. Hopefully the promised papers will be peer reviewed and published soon.

Of a similar ilk, this video of a Tim Noakes talk from a recent conference in Australia is worth a view...

Inigo, I err in that general direction, but I'm far from a purist. What I would say though is that fat-adapting, and being able to run on empty (fat burn) for long periods of time is hugely benificial for ultras. As Noakes explains well in the videos, if you can tune up your fat burning engine you'll have more than enough ptential speed to compete (never mind complete) at endurance events without having to worry about glycogen depletion issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Enduro wrote: »
    Was reading that yesterday. Very intesting article. Hopefully the promised papers will be peer reviewed and published soon.

Of a similar ilk, this video of a Tim Noakes talk from a recent conference in Australia is worth a view...

Inigo, I err in that general direction, but I'm far from a purist. What I would say though is that fat-adapting, and being able to run on empty (fat burn) for long periods of time is hugely benificial for ultras. As Noakes explains well in the videos, if you can tune up your fat burning engine you'll have more than enough ptential speed to compete (never mind complete) at endurance events without having to worry about glycogen depletion issues.

No starting an argument opinions on diet here more a general question as I haven't found any article which raise the point but has Noakes ever dealt with the issue of raised cortisol levels in his talks? Would be generally interested to see his views as I was having a debate during the week regarding this and had a look around but couldn't find any articles dealing with the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

inigo wrote: »
    Does anyone here do LCHF/Atkins/Keto? (I know some of you do ;)) What are your impressions? What sort of impact has it had on performance and general health? What sort of intensity sessions do you do?

I tried it for a month. I know thats not long enough to say wether it worked or not but this was my experience of it:

I reduced carbs hugely for a month. The only thing I ate that was high carb was an apple a day (gotta keep that doctor at bay ;)) and sweet potato a few times a week. Other than that I ate high fat and protein, plenty of meat, loads of eggs, salads, veg and walnuts as a snack.

It was great fun for a while cooking everything in butter, eating a fry every morning and believing that this was good for me! Everything tasted great but I found going HFLC very restrictive and lacking variety. I got bored quickly eating eggs for breakfast and salads everyday for lunch.

Similarly with running, the first couple of weeks on the diet were fine and didnt notice much difference. I dropped a few pounds and I was running high intensity sessions first thing in the morning on empty while full of energy. But for a couple of weeks after that I was very lethargic all the time mentally and physically.

I decided to drop the diet for a couple of reasons; the first being that I'm not a top ultra runner. If I was, I would consider fully changing my diet for my running. Right now I'm a beginner running probably 4 ultras a year. Why would I change my diet for 365 days for something I'm on only utilize for 4 days in a year? This didnt make sense to me. (I know there are other benefits to eating a HfLC diet but I took it up for my running so thats what I'll talk about here).

The second reason I dropped the diet is because I love food. I love eating. Dinner time is my favorite time of the day. I hated the fact that I was so restricted in what I was eating on the diet so I knocked it on the head.

Thats just how I found it. Dont let me put you off it, but before you step into it maybe think first what you want to get out of it and are you prepared to make such a change.

All the best with it.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

HELLO ALL ULTRA HEADS

I was pretty sure the way my knees were this year I coulnt get back doing what I love and that's ultra running and mixing again with all ye mad sound heads.
    I just love this sport and the friendship and adventures along the way are unreal.
    Cant wait for 2015 to kick off.
    Keep up the fantastic work everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Well done to Tom Frazer who set a new Irish 50k record of 2:58:00 knocking 22 secs off Mick Molloys record. I think Molloys record was a half way split in a 100k track race and has stood since 1979. Its good to see athletes of Frazers quality trying their hand at the ultra distance. There are now a number of Irish men with 2:20 or better Marathon quality who have ran good Ultra distance races. Id Imagine Steve Ways exploits will continue to inspire that type of runner to take the step up.

This might be of interest to some of you... the Spine Race starts on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Enduro wrote: »
    This might be of interest to some of you... the Spine Race starts on Saturday.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Good luck Enduro

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

Amazing challenge! Best of luck!

Go get it EOIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

good luck dude.... that would be some achievement if you can finish it. keep the green flag flying high.

Twitter updates @thespinerace....
    *C001 has dropped out

• Advertisement

lads just to tell you what it like overthere at the minute,have a friend that lives a half hour from the start and he runs a lot of fell running,hes a hardy lad and he walked up onto one of the climbs they go trough to watch them,he said he was blown over 3 times,one of the favorites gone not 2 hours in with a sprained ankle as he was blown over 4 times,he said the hail and wind and cold is unreal up there.

Enduro just into the lead asfaras I can make out..group of 3 few mins behind,,May be just after a check point...and is starting to snow..

EOIN UP IN TO 2ND NOW,FECKING WATCHING THE TRACKING IS VERY ADDICTIVE,DIDNT GET MUCH SLEEP HAHA.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The Spine race looks amazing.. Anyone have pictures of the current conditions on route?

On another race, I was in Killarney at the weekend which reminded me of the Kerry Way Ultra.. has anyone on here run it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 anthony.whelan

Online tracking is really making my monday a lot better! Glued to the tracker in work. Cannot comprehend the distance and the challenge involved! A real big boys race! Fantastic to see an Irish athlete leading the charge (although its no surprise). Well done Eoin!

Massive well done to eoin keith finishing 2nd in the SPINE RACE,its not until you look closely and follow the race you begin to relize what a challenge they are taking,unreal.
    Nothing but respect EOIN.
    You done Ireland proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Massive well done to eoin keith finishing 2nd in the SPINE RACE,its not until you look closely and follow the race you begin to relize what a challenge they are taking,unreal.
    Nothing but respect EOIN.
    You done Ireland proud.

+1 Phenomenal undertaking. Well done Eoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Keith Whyte also won the Antarctic 100km today in 9 hours 26.

Massive well done to DON HANNON on winning the ART O NEIL

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the support all! A great race. Report to follow...

What a week for ultra-running! Unreal time from Keith in Antartica, and a great battling win for Don in the AON.

Advertisement