Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amalgamating National Policing Teams

• 25-12-2014 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

Probably not the most pleasant of topics for Christmas Day but was browsing online and found this.

The last two paragraphs in particular caught my attention as Commissioner O Sullivan has huge potential here.
    Just curious about what, if anything can anyone shed any light on regarding
    The Garda unit is expected to undergo a major revamp in the new year as part of a plan by Commissioner Noirin O'Sullivan to realign and,in some cases, amalgamate national policing teams.

The unit will likely be expanded to take on additional duties and responsibilities for other areas in the sexual crime area.

Wish this Endeavor and Progress in An Garda Síochána the Very Best for 2015! With the additional duties, responsibilities ... , I presume they'll be looked after with sufficient resources.

Many Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Comments

What Garda unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭waulie_palnuts

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I presume they'll be looked after with sufficient resources.
    /QUOTE]

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

I presume they'll be looked after with sufficient resources.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

Amalgamating means closing

which should be already done by now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I wonder if we'll be seeing the disappearance of the average detective and the implementation of things like district burglary and community policing units, divisional robbery and car theft units and regional sexual assault units.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I've wonder if we'll be seeing the disappearance of the average detective and the implementation of things like district burglary and community policing units, divisional robbery and car theft units and regional sexual assault units.

According to that link above "The meeting heard that the finer details of the policing plan were not yet ready to be publicly unveiled."

I just HOPE they do this Justice tbh! I'm guessing the finer details are not yet complete.
    No pressure now or anything HQ :)

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

According to that link above "The meeting heard that the finer details of the policing plan were not yet ready to be publicly unveiled."

I just HOPE they do this Justice tbh! I'm guessing the finer details are not yet complete.
    No pressure now or anything HQ :)

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

I imagine "the finer details" will be arguing with the representative bodies about transfers, travel allowance and subsistence as well as rostering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I wonder if we'll be seeing the disappearance of the average detective and the implementation of things like district burglary and community policing units, divisional robbery and car theft units and regional sexual assault units.

That sound better doesn't it?

• Advertisement

Hang on a sec. Now they cannot get the GardaReserves right; I've said it elsewhere that it was not well thought or nor executed as it should have been.

It's still not clear what the powers-that-be see for the Garda Reserves so before they start changing policing units and upseting members further; could anyone Please suggest to anyone who attended these meetings to at least make a decision on the GardaReserves also?! or does anyone know if the Garda Reserves future would be included via
    "It will incorporate recommendations from a series of reports by the Garda Inspectorate and these have already been studied in depth by working groups of senior officers"

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

An an ex-Reserve who went on to the fulltime in the UK,

I think the whole thing should be scrapped. It's counter productive and the money should be better spent sorting out the fulltime.

An an ex-Reserve who went on to the fulltime in the UK,

I think the whole thing should be scrapped. It's counter productive and the money should be better spent sorting out the fulltime.

Certainly has potential imo but only so much can and ever will be achieved as it currently stands with the very capable reservists we have out there.

Certainly has potential imo but only so much can and ever will be achieved as it currently stands with the very capable reservists we have out there.

I just think it's a really difficult sell to the fulltimers - are the rank and file still waiting for gazillions of years to get on a driving course?

I just think it's a really difficult sell to the fulltimers - are the rank and file still waiting for gazillions of years to get on a driving course?

So in the meantime we have some Volunteer GardaReserves, capable & strong volunteers being treated awful by said full-timers! Shameful (at very least) but something the full-timers have to justify to themselves & live with long-term.

If support was actually there for the volunteers; if a decision on their progressive, optimistic future was finally decided upon it could assist with some problems currently present.
    Their will always be something the full-timers want; always. Never will our Irish Police Force reach a standard where all full-timers will be happy. Always new and emerging courses and equipment being designed and the monies just won't be here in Ireland for them, so they will always be left wanting.

The key is to maximise on the resources they currently have in the interim.

Amalgamating National Policing Teams is imo, our Commissioner O Sullivan showing one and all that they want to do just that,
    which is why I await more of these ideas in the public domain to see if anything involving our Volunteer GardaReserves was even on the agenda.

Just my thoughts,
    kerry4sam

That's some chip you carry there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,796 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

All the problems in AGS could be sorted easily. Get more Gardaí. Amalgamating this, setting up that, etc, all well and good, but the bottom line is that there are simply not enough Gardaí "on the ground". How can the force get better if they're not given the time to get better? Yes, there are enough Gardaí at the moment to go to the calls, but there are not enough to follow up in a timely fashion, because as soon as you've attended one call, there's at least one more waiting!

Yes, there are enough Gardaí at the moment to go to the calls,

Eventually. Some calls can be left waiting a long time for a response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Funding for AGS I.T. on the way in order to facilitate new DNA database

http://jrnl.ie/1859837

So in the meantime we have some Volunteer GardaReserves, capable & strong volunteers being treated awful by said full-timers! Shameful (at very least) but something the full-timers have to justify to themselves & live with long-term.

If support was actually there for the volunteers; if a decision on their progressive, optimistic future was finally decided upon it could assist with some problems currently present.
    Their will always be something the full-timers want; always. Never will our Irish Police Force reach a standard where all full-timers will be happy. Always new and emerging courses and equipment being designed and the monies just won't be here in Ireland for them, so they will always be left wanting.

The key is to maximise on the resources they currently have in the interim.

Amalgamating National Policing Teams is imo, our Commissioner O Sullivan showing one and all that they want to do just that,
    which is why I await more of these ideas in the public domain to see if anything involving our Volunteer GardaReserves was even on the agenda.

Just my thoughts,
    kerry4sam

Mate, I was in the GR for Three Years while in College. Overall I had an extremely positive experience with highs, lows and great laughs, I know the script, you should use the negative experience to achieve something positive, carrying that weight sucks.

• Advertisement

That's some chip you carry there.
    Mate, I was in the GR for Three Years while in College. Overall I had an extremely positive experience with highs, lows and great laughs, I know the script, you should use the negative experience to achieve something positive, carrying that weight sucks.

This is a much more sedate me, was alot worse this time 12-months ago so improving & getting more positive slowly in my views towards An Garda Síochána :)
    All the problems in AGS could be sorted easily. Get more Gardaí. Amalgamating this, setting up that, etc, all well and good, but the bottom line is that there are simply not enough Gardaí "on the ground". How can the force get better if they're not given the time to get better? Yes, there are enough Gardaí at the moment to go to the calls, but there are not enough to follow up in a timely fashion, because as soon as you've attended one call, there's at least one more waiting!
    foreign wrote: »
    Eventually. Some calls can be left waiting a long time for a response.

^^^ You see these kinda replies need to be aired. So much PR work being done but truth like this is not being fed out to the general public who don't know why assistance is taking so long. More up-front honesty from the powers-that-be would help some matters also imo.
    Too much trying to maintain an image and not enough shooting from hip with informing how things actually are.
    The end of the day, the entire force is made up of actual humans so relaying info pertaining to that fact would help.
    I am sure the powers-that-be have some people reading through the many many threads online about their members and not just the many many threads on boards.ie anyways and are aware of how they are perceived in general.
    D Trent wrote: »
    Funding for AGS I.T. on the way in order to facilitate new DNA database

http://jrnl.ie/1859837

Thank you for this linkie,
    Appreciate it,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Their talking about new databases. Why not get the basics right first

http://www.thejournal.ie/waterford-pipe-bomb-1861314-Jan2015/

Advertisement