Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warmest Christmas time weather?

• 10-12-2013 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭

Given the great tempretures were having this December just thought id start a weather orientated xmas thread. Does anyone remember a warmer more benign Christmas or December before?

We had a few wicked cold ones and I remember a few stormy ones in late 1990s but this weather this year is probarbly the best I remember its balmy, supposed to be 14 celcius Thursday which is 12th December!

really puts people in good form for the xmas, easy to shop , walk around town and travel be it car, boat or plane and of course taxis at night for scoops!!
    What odds on a double figure xmas day?11 or 12 celcius?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Dickie10

just thought i resurrect this. the weather is giving 13 celcius in dublin next tuesday. cahances of 10 celciius on thursday, would this be the warmest Dec 25 ever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Dickie10 wrote: »
    just thought i resurrect this. the weather is giving 13 celcius in dublin next tuesday. cahances of 10 celciius on thursday, would this be the warmest Dec 25 ever?

There's nobody around long enough to answer that, maybe if you asked is this the warmest Christmas in living memory. Plenty mild winters in the late 90's early 00's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I and a worker were out in t-shirts some day last Dec. The sun was shining and it was about 14. Unseasonably, maybe, but not unusual. Hard winters were never the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

So warm! I walked out of college yesterday at 6pm, kitted out ready for the bitter cold, and had to start removing layers I was so warm. It was if there was a mild Autumn breeze! Long may it last!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I remember a Christmas Day in the early noughties walking the dogs on the prom in bray and I had to take my jacket off and finish the walk in a t-shirt because it was so mild.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i remember xmas 88 as being toasty, that was the year that the hole in the o-zone layer was discovered

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I remember most Christmases from my childhood being mild enough. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Yeah in fairness December wouldn't be known for normally being bitter. Jan/Feb on the other hand....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I remember a December (way back in the mid 70s) when my mother still had roses blooming in the garden.

Today, I saw a woman wearing a sleeveless t-shirt (and she wasn't out for a run or power walking)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I remember always having horrible stormy weather at Christmas when I was younger. It sticks in my head because 2 or 3 years running we had no electricity for a few days, cooking and heating was a nightmare.

• Advertisement

I remember hearing on the news a few times about people having no power on Christmas Day and not being able to cook dinner etc. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Posy wrote: »
    I remember hearing on the news a few times about people having no power on Christmas Day and not being able to cook dinner etc. :(

Yeah, that happened us the first year because we only had an old range cooker and sure Christmas Day was nearly gone before that got up to the right temperature to cook in. The following year my parents had bought a small gas cooker just in case and we ended up cooking the dinner on that, bit of a disaster but better than nothing,

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Posy wrote: »

It happened to us halfway through cooking the turkey. The turkey was thrown into the car and we went to a friends house who let us finish it off in her oven. The electricity came back on later that day so it was fine. It was also gone on Christmas Eve and my dad used the burner on the BBQ to do some prep.

yeah i suppose december can have a lot of mildness in it, espically considering the indian summer we had. At least after tommorrow the evenings are officaally getting longer!!! way hey, crack out the BBQ and put will smith summer time up loud!! in fairness i do love January for that reason there light at end of the tunnel. on jan 15 we gain nearly half n hour light from dec 21 in the evenings alone!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

that's why I like global warming

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭kellymick39

Its to be 7-8 degrees C with coldish winds on Christmas Day.But it will nice and sunny.Great fresh day for a festive walk on the beach with the family complaining that its too cold out and they want to go back home.LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

I could be wrong but im nearly sure christmas day 2011 was warm ie double figures,met eireann only do daily data back as far as 2013

yeah getting cold on xmas day, very mild xmas eve 13-14 celciius

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

santa will be in his bermudas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

There's nobody around long enough to answer that, maybe if you asked is this the warmest Christmas in living memory.

Why living memory ? It should be since records began. Memory is subjective. In general the records don't lie plus why restrict yourself to a human lifespan of 70 odd years when you can have records the go back hundred of years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

delw wrote: »
    I could be wrong but im nearly sure christmas day 2011 was warm ie double figures,met eireann only do daily data back as far as 2013

My weather station in Oranmore had a 12.8C max on Christmas day 2011

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Heroditas

delw wrote: »

I was about to post the same thing. It really stood out after the previous Christmas!

Yes, I remember there being about 20 degrees in the difference in temperatures between 2010 and 2011! :eek:

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭kellymick39

Work up at 7am to quite a frosty scene,very festive indeed.Have the stove still blazing away after putting it on slowburn overnight.Its a cold but sunny day so far,nice day for a family stroll on the beach before we have Christmas dinner later on.
    Merry Christmas to you all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

My swim this morning was not warm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

It was warm for us, but still a nippy -5 degrees, got a nice snowfall on xmas eve which was perfect, woke up to a winter wonderland on xmas day. Personally i prefer when is cold at xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Thread resurrection time , this Xmas day possibly warmest on record?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Certainly the warmest December I can remember.
    The grass is still growing and the garden resembles a jungle - actually, scratch that, a tropical rainforest with all the horrible weather we've had.

I'm completely fed up with this winter - the kids have been sick constantly for the last 6 weeks and I'd swear it's because of this damp mild weather.

Give me some crisp cold clear wintery days please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

This December could be one of the warmest Decembers ever. It's unbelievably mild. No frost at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Crispy crunchy hard frosty clear blue sky mornings are few and far between in recent years , the experts say mild December's such as this one and the last 2 are not out of the ordinary but I never remember in my 42 years a December consistently as mild as this , has it gone below 10 degrees for the last 3 weeks?

Advertisement