Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you deal with 'Tailgaters' ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭seamusk84

I just turn away the rear view mirror so I can't see them anymore, and focus on the road in front of me.

A problem ignored is no longer a problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,878 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Shenshen wrote: »
    Generally speaking, I would say the Irish use bullying instead.

Don't get me wrong, I have no death wish and would never willfully hold up a tailgater. But I'm finding it hard to believe that the hundreds of dangerous tailgaters I've had the misfortune to have clinging to my bumper in the few years I've been driving all did so because of medical emergencies.

Probably not but at the same time there's no excuse for doing 30mph on a road suitable for higher speeds and not pulling over out of courtesy for people who want to make progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Anyone who's had hundreds of tailgaters down the years must be just very unlucky or something. Hundreds?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

bogwalrus wrote: »
    I take down license plate number and find their address by hacking into the gardaí database. I then go all equalizer on their ass.

Get to da choppah! Go!! Billy ain't scared of no man! Something is hunting us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ShortyGotLow

I generally slow to around 10-15km/h below the speed limit. Tailgating can result in serious collisions if the car being tailgated needs to brake suddenly, and as we all know the higher the speed the worse the collision. Yes this tends to infuriate the tailgaters but f**k off away from the back of my car if you don't want to be slowed down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Stark wrote: »
    Probably not but at the same time there's no excuse for doing 30mph on a road suitable for higher speeds and not pulling over out of courtesy for people who want to make progress.

i travel a lot of 30mph roads and yes one could argue they are suitable for higher speeds, but if the speed limit on that road is 50km/h (30mph) then im not going to break it, and im sorry (well im not really) but if there is no-where safe for me to pull over you nasty bullying tailgaters are not gonna be able to break the speed limit neither no matter how close up my arse ye are!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I've been in vehicles where people lay on the horn flash lights and force a car into the hard shoulder. My Dad once stepped out of his vehicle in Wexford Town when some agricultural looking fella in a knackered looking 80s farmers jeep gave lip when they passed in tight quarters, they both had the drivers windows down and it was hotter than a 14 reg 5 series in Moyross. My Dad got so thick that we still laugh about it to this day, the coward drove off when the old man went about extracting him from his ****box. Other motorists also got involved.

I found it intriguing as a young boy because my Dad is so mild mannered when he's not behind the wheel, I wasn't aware of his problem until that day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

I ignore them and slow down slightly in case I do have to stall, at least they're stopping distance when i'm at a slower speed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Dexter Bip wrote: »
    If someone was in a hurry behind you on a footpath would you prevent them passing you? You don't know why a driver behind you may be impatient. Example my nephew had suspected meningitis years ago. His mother told by GP to take him to CUH as a matter of urgency as waiting for an ambulance would take too long. Asshole driver held her at 30 mph along the country road for ten miles despite flashing lights at him/horn/flashers. He could have easily let her past but didn't. Again would you block somebody's way if you weren't in a car? I am sure he went home smug in his self righteousness.
    An Englishman said to me once that the British use courtesy as a principle for dealing with other road users but the Irish use entitlement instead. Can't say he was far wrong.
    What's wrong with basic courtesy.?

There isnt a speed limit, rules or death toll on a foot path.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Anyone who's had hundreds of tailgaters down the years must be just very unlucky or something. Hundreds?

Not unlucky, just refusing to break a speed limit. Try sticking to the speed limit on Irish country roads for a week or two and see how others react to you, you'll be amazed.

I'll pull over if there's a safe place to do so, but I won't break a speed limit.

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »

Is there not? How do you know the situation of the driver in front of you?

The medical emergency is often brought up as an excuse for tailgating other drivers, though I honestly don't understand why people think tailgating will get them anywhere faster. But how do you know the car in front is not driving a sick or hurt child to the doctor or to hospital, and the only reason they're going slow is because the little one is in agony already, and every bump in the road is making it worse?

How do you know the car driving at 80kph on the 100kph road is not driven by someone who has a restriction to the speed on his license due to health reasons? An uncle of mine has one of these because of his eye sight, and a friend of my mother's had one placed on her license due to the cancer she's suffering from.

Or less dramatically, they might just be transporting something very fragile and don't want it breaking.

At the end of the day, someone going slow is annoying others, yes, but they're not endangering them.
    Someone tailgating another car, no matter for what reason, is endangering him- or herself, the other car and possibly even others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

Amen. Anyone with that prevalence of tailgaters should not be on the road.

Amen. Anyone with that prevalence of tailgaters should not be on the road.

Let me get this straight... Someone doing the speed limit should not be on the roads, in your opinion, but the people endangering themselves and others by driving 5cm away from the boot of the car in front are grand?

You'll need to explain your reasoning on that one.

Not unlucky, just refusing to break a speed limit. Try sticking to the speed limit on Irish country roads for a week or two and see how others react to you, you'll be amazed.

I'll pull over if there's a safe place to do so, but I won't break a speed limit.

You do know that sticking to speed limits does not necessarily equal safe driving?

You do know that sticking to speed limits does not necessarily equal safe driving?

And driving faster makes your driving safer?

Let me get this straight... Someone doing the speed limit should not be on the roads, in your opinion, but the people endangering themselves and others by driving 5cm away from the boot of the car in front are grand?

You'll need to explain your reasoning on that one.

Well, you are being ridiculous, for a start. 5cm from your boot? Really? Less than 2 inches?

Well, you are being ridiculous, for a start. 5cm from your boot? Really? Less than 2 inches?

It's a bit hard to tell their actual distance when you can't even see their front lights in your rear mirror any more, granted.
    May have been 6cm, or 4, I couldn't say that for sure.

And driving faster makes your driving safer?

Driving at a speed appropriate for the conditions is, indeed, safer, not one that impedes the safe progress of others.

Speed limits are not thought out intelligently, they, quite often, are inappropriately low. Put some intelligence into your driving and you will be less of a hazard/obstacle for others.

It's a bit hard to tell their actual distance when you can't even see their front lights in your rear mirror any more, granted.
    May have been 6cm, or 4, I couldn't say that for sure.

Yet again you are saying more about yourself than you think!

Driving at a speed appropriate for the conditions is, indeed, safer, not one that impedes the safe progress of others.

Speed limits are not thought out intelligently, they, quite often, are inappropriately low. Put some intelligence into your driving and you will be less of a hazard/obstacle for others.

Really? Given the conditions on many of the roads here, I would say that speed limit generally are inappropriately high. I've come across roads with grass growing down the middle with a limit of 100kph.

So your advise to strangers is to disregard the law in order to not inconvenience others? I'll do the intelligent thing here and ignore that.

But assuming from your posts that you are someone who will tailgate, I'll ask you directly: what exactly do you hope to achieve by tailgating?

• Advertisement

Really? Given the conditions on many of the roads here, I would say that speed limit generally are inappropriately high. I've come across roads with grass growing down the middle with a limit of 100kph.

No you haven't. Name the road and location where you've seen grass in the middle of a 100kph road?

So far nothing you have posted has been believable. It's pointless even trying to debate when you post such sheer and utter nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

No you haven't. Name the road and location where you've seen grass in the middle of a 100kph road?

So far nothing you have posted has been believable. It's pointless even trying to debate when you post such sheer and utter nonsense.

Try driving around the roads in the Kildysert, Cranny and Killimer area of Co Clare...
    Also when you're there check out some of the roads in North Clare, especially around the Burren and New Line areas.

They do exist, if you send me on a fuel voucher and a voucher for Linnanes seafood restaurant in Newquay ill get you some photos of the 100kph signs with grass in the middle of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... ill get you some photos of the 100kph signs with grass in the middle of the road.
    Dual carriageways!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Tailgaters are bad but any idiot who overtakes around a bad bend should have their license revoked, I had a close call with one of these d1ckheads this evening.

I take it easy on the roads because I am very conscious of the consequences if something goes badly wrong, I drive a lot on narrow/bendy secondary roads and have been tailgated on dark wet nights even when I'm doing a decent speed for the conditions.

I know that someone going slower than you is frustrating, but use your brain and have a bit of patience, is it really worth it to put your live at risk in order to take a minute off your journey, like others in this thread I would prefer to make it to my destination in one piece a minute later rather than be another number for the RSA to add to their statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

Honestly, I just get out of their way. I always tell myself they are rushing to hospital. Why bother stressing yourself out. Also if they are going to crash better off if they do it somewhere else.

As its Christmas I do remember around this time a few years back, getting out of the way of one boy racer only to see him pulled over for speeding about 1km further on, I won't deny that gave me a chuckle...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Yet again you are saying more about yourself than you think!

As is your username. Im speculating as to what you drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

The way I deal with tail-gaters is to take a deep breath and keep to my recommended speed while pressing the CD button to play this song...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Try driving around the roads in the Kildysert, Cranny and Killimer area of Co Clare...
    Also when you're there check out some of the roads in North Clare, especially around the Burren and New Line areas.

They do exist, if you send me on a fuel voucher and a voucher for Linnanes seafood restaurant in Newquay ill get you some photos of the 100kph signs with grass in the middle of the road.

You could just post the link to the road on Google maps. We can view it on street view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Why insinuate I don't?

Implying I should stick to the speed limits when "hundreds" have been stuck to within "4,5 or 6 cm" of your own boot doesn't reflect at all well in that department. And to deflect any notions I tailgate.. I don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

How do you deal with 'Tailgaters' ?

By tipping the brake pedal.

Advertisement