Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shorter prices in store than online?

• 18-12-2014 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Do many of you's come across this?

I've been to Ladbrokes and Boylesports where this has happened the odd time, but the worst offenders are Tullys Bookmarkers under the umbrella of Betpack!

All my bets would be soccer related.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭shmeee

Do many of you's come across this?

I've been to Ladbrokes and Boylesports where this has happened the odd time, but the worst offenders are Tullys Bookmarkers under the umbrella of Betpack!

All my bets would be soccer related.

The prices on the coupons are only a price at time of printing and the system gives you the odds same as online when you place the bet.

But this has happened me a few times in Ladbrokes on horses, I was standing at the counter with their website open on my phone and horse was 20/1 but was only 16/1 in-shop. She told me it was due to costs in-shop! She's a ape anyway and talks some ****, I just walked out.

Boyles I find don't differ, I do my bets out online, screenshot it then go down and write it out, not once has a price changed in-store in boyles for me and I use them the most, find them best priced lately on many markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

shmeee wrote: »
    The prices on the coupons are only a price at time of printing and the system gives you the odds same as online when you place the bet.

But this has happened me a few times in Ladbrokes on horses, I was standing at the counter with their website open on my phone and horse was 20/1 but was only 16/1 in-shop. She told me it was due to costs in-shop! She's a ape anyway and talks some ****, I just walked out.

Boyles I find don't differ, I do my bets out online, screenshot it then go down and write it out, not once has a price changed in-store in boyles for me and I use them the most, find them best priced lately on many markets.

I don't check the coupons.
    I look at the odds on my phone and then write out the betting slip. Same as yourself.

Boylesports have better prices these past couple of months in soccer compared to Paddypower.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I assume that is their early prices and not on the show?
    Boyles and PP have the same EP prices and I would have thought Lads were the
    same?
    Internet prices apart from Shop Specials will always be higher.
    Too much competition between all the bookies nowadays.
    In a shop unless you are located beside other bookies, there is no need
    to be top prices as a lot of guys in a shop wouldn't know how to use a tablet or smartphone.
    I'd guess the guys that can use these don't go into shops that often.

Have a look at football prices for example.
    Paddy Power have same prices for the "Main" Leagues but higher prices online in the Championship and Lower Leagues.
    Boyles have the same prices in both most of the time but you find some of them are lower when you hand over your betting slip and get "Oh prices have moved!" from the staff.
    Happened to me loads of times.
    Ladbrokes have better prices in shop on some games especially ones that form a part of their inshop trebles!
    This is because if they move the price of a team and it moves the Treble price, they have to change all the screens and posters and I haven't seen them do this yet!
    When there is a big move, it can be very rewarding :).

Boylesports have better prices these past couple of months in soccer compared to Paddypower

Some of their prices have improved in the last couple of months but they are still the lowest prices of the 3 "main B&M companies" in Ireland.
    Don't have a Betpack near me so don't know what their prices are like.

boyles for me and I use them the most, find them best priced lately on many markets.

What markets?

okidoki987 wrote: »
    What markets?

I do my bets up on oddschecker, accums, consisting of + handicaps, btts and unders/overs and win market. And 9 times out of 10 recently I went and did the bet in Boylesports store, no other high street bookie were near them in price. Paddy Power a point worse of or more. If the likes of BV or WH were .1 or .2 better, I'd still do it in store unless a major difference.

I actually have some photos saved on phone that show this.

Nov 25th, Boyles better priced on straight win markets below that other high street ones in my town. Don't have a bwin account.

ea9102b05c931e0cbb91f7e67e715990.png

Nov 26th, Boyles best priced across the board, no other shop even close. Powers were miles off with that accum.

4def4ae55e39f52e538d6c991a4dd7fe.png

6th Dec, I know BV were better here by a good bit over rest and I think It was them I used but Boyles best of the rest on the high street.

2e4321c7ad89a915ca2af45431929a93.png

9th Dec, again only .12 in it and best on the street, 2nd best across the board.

4cbefdf0687a3927fe41c6659ec5239f.png

Just by chance I had a few still saved on the phone, many others deleted but from overall use the past 2 months, boyles have been as good as anyone

• Advertisement

Fair dues.
    Would never have put Boyles that high up the table.

Their prices on W/D/W and other markets like Win both halves, win to nil etc have been poor in the past (W/D/W prices have now improved) but where they are terrible is the 1st goalscorer prices where they are doing the PL special "Double the odds if he scores in the 1st 20 mins".
    Prices are way lower compared to the rest of the market and that includes other firms that have specials in the same market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

What markets?

I looked at the odds on a few "hotpot" accass this weekend, comparing prices with all industry leaders.

And in every test, Boyles had the worst odds.

Bet365 are miles better than PP in running on football also. While PP do a lot right, BUT in-running and cash out options are woeful.

Fair dues.
    Would never have put Boyles that high up the table.

Their prices on W/D/W and other markets like Win both halves, win to nil etc have been poor in the past (W/D/W prices have now improved) but where they are terrible is the 1st goalscorer prices where they are doing the PL special "Double the odds if he scores in the 1st 20 mins".
    Prices are way lower compared to the rest of the market and that includes other firms that have specials in the same market.

The markets I back are decent now. But the goalscorer ones as you said are poor. I wanted a player AGS and Boyles were 6/4, across the road in Ladbrokes I got 11/4. He scored 2. Some value and difference there! It all depends on what you back.

Some markets they are good on, others very poor!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Whatever about the difference between online and in-shop, definitely don't use the machines in shop. The software and event pricing is completely outsourced to a third party company, so you're not actually betting Powers / Ladbrokes prices at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Arbing dog

If you want value you need to be up early and constantly watching. I wouldn't set foot in a betting shop unless some offer is too good to be true and Id spend an afternoon plugging away at them. For horses I think is essential to be on course to secure the best price.

• Advertisement
Advertisement