Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda acquitted of theft

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'd love to know how taxi meter got to €6.25 from the Savoy to Parnell Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Drunk guy doesnt want to pay fare assumes he is in the right.

Drunk guy blames everyone but himself.

END CASE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Victor wrote: »

I'd say the meter was still running while the Guard was sorting it out. The row probably went on for 5 or 10 mins looking at the info in The Times. It's still nonsense that this makes it all the way to a courtroom to be thrown out straight away by a judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Certainly doesn't sound like he was brought to stephens green, like the passenger had claimed.€
    Initial tariff of €4.45,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

what the hell was the DPP thinking???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I'm pretty sure they just use a magic eight ball in there.

Victor wrote: »

Initial fare and the 1k travelled. That makes it sound like he may have gone around D'olier st and back up. Could also have been traffic from the collision.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭markpb

The garda had been prosecuted by the DPP following an investigation by the Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission.

Sounds like they were following orders from GSOC. Very odd case.

markpb wrote: »
    Sounds like they were following orders from GSOC. Very odd case.

GSOC merely put the file together. The DPP must decide whether there is a case to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/garda-acquitted-of-assault-and-theft-over-taxi-fare-dispute-1.2039907

Thought I'd post this here and get some opinions. Seems to me he was prosecuted for using common sense.

Don't think I'd fancy being a Garda if this is what is happening.
    I'm pretty sure they just use a magic eight ball in there.

How can you not see where the DPP was coming from, seriously? Okay, monies needed to be paid; but procedures are in place and I doubt whilst in Templemore that Guard was taught the method of taking someone elses wallet; taking monies out of anothers wallet without permission and giving it to someone else.

I'd say that's similar to what the DPP was thinking as opposed to a flippant comment on using a Magic-8 ball to make decisions.

He didn't join the force lastweek so with all his experience to date, that's how his judgement thought it to deal with that situation infront of him. It is good though that the Guard was exonerated in this instance, but it was also good the Guard was made take responsibility for his actions.

A good sign in my eyes,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement

kerry4sam wrote: »
    How can you not see where the DPP was coming from, seriously? Okay, monies needed to be paid; but procedures are in place and I doubt whilst in Templemore that Guard was taught the method of taking someone elses wallet; taking monies out of anothers wallet without permission and giving it to someone else.

I'd say that's similar to what the DPP was thinking as opposed to a flippant comment on using a Magic-8 ball to make decisions.

He didn't join the force lastweek so with all his experience to date, that's how his judgement thought it to deal with that situation infront of him. It is good though that the Guard was exonerated in this instance, but it was also good the Guard was made take responsibility for his actions.

A good sign in my eyes,
    kerry4sam

I appreciate that you have an axe to grind with AGS so feel the need to support any campaign against them but as far as I am aware you were also a reserve so you have basic legal training. So you should know that a basic legal ingredient for crimes of this type is deception or dishonesty, something which is completely absent in this scenario in any way. To proceed with a prosecution when a vital ingredient of a crime is missing is either incompetent or political. A bad sign in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

I'm in two minds, if the situation was the same but with a 1km journey and the amount involved is €100 then I wouldn't back the guard at all but it is evident from reading the reports in the media from the court case that the complainant was an unreliable witness and the Garda definitely did the taxi man a big favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I'm in two minds, if the situation was the same but with a 1km journey and the amount involved is €100 then I wouldn't back the guard at all but it is evident from reading the reports in the media from the court case that the complainant was an unreliable witness and the Garda definitely did the taxi man a big favour.
    A favour to help him square up with the passenger, but I'd say after the Garda left it, the taxi driver was paid, the passenger had had his money's worth and that should have been that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

You can be sure this is the last time a Garda applies common sense to resolve a situation. They want robot police who do everything by the book, that's what they will get with this kind of carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

bravestar wrote: »
    You can be sure this is the last time a Garda applies common sense to resolve a situation. They want robot police who do everything by the book, that's what they will get with this kind of carry on.

I agree.

The fact this made it passed any checks and balances a police body had is ridiculous.

The points of proof are just not there not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭waulie_palnuts

What in the name of Sweet Divine Christ was the DPP thinking? Was this at all in the Public Interest?

As much as the case was ****e, the Guard was caused unnecessary stress and anguish for using his common sense.

The Omnibusman should have written that off - File under toilet paper.

Shower of ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

What in the name of Sweet Divine Christ was the DPP thinking? Was this at all in the Public Interest?

As much as the case was ****e, the Guard was caused unnecessary stress and anguish for using his common sense.

The Omnibusman should have written that off - File under toilet paper.

Shower of ****e.

It's actually beyond comprehension, I actually had the opportunity to join the force years ago but delighted now I changed my mind well my parents did. It's a sad day for any cop when the DPP starts this sh1t if the job was not bad enough allready. .:rolleyes:

Truckermal wrote: »
    It's actually beyond comprehension, I actually had the opportunity to join the force years ago but delighted now I changed my mind well my parents did. It's a sad day for any cop when the DPP starts this sh1t if the job was not bad enough allready. .:rolleyes:

I do not miss the inevitable bull plop complaints from the esteemed service users. Don't know what it's like in the Guards but the UK Force I served in were quite quick to hurl you too the wolves once a complaint was received. The stress of a complaint, particularly ones of a spurious nature is something I have yet to re-experience in the private sector - thank god I got offered the new job when I did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

bravestar wrote: »

Exactly. The Garda could have arrested the fare evader, charged under the PSV regulations, knocked a few hours overtime out of the court case and leave the scumbag with a conviction.

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Exactly. The Garda could have arrested the fare evader, charged under the PSV regulations, knocked a few hours overtime out of the court case and leave the scumbag with a conviction.

Conviction for. What exactly what law oand section

• Advertisement

Zambia wrote: »
    Conviction for. What exactly what law oand section

there is an offence under the psv regulations. But I'd say the more common offence of making off without payment would be legitimate too.

there is an offence under the psv regulations. But I'd say the more common offence of making off without payment would be legitimate too.

In fairness do those acts require men's Rea because I don't see an offence if he has approached a garda with the issue.

In fairness do those acts require men's Rea because I don't see an offence if he has approached a garda with the issue.

Once the meter runs you have to pay the fair. The driver may well have driven around in circles but that is an issue for the regulator. Pay the fare and make complaint.

Whole thing reeks of a Christmas Hamper grab.

Once the meter runs you have to pay the fair. The driver may well have driven around in circles but that is an issue for the regulator. Pay the fare and make complaint.

Ok under what act and section would that charge fall under?

I can't really debate the point unless I know the charge?

I think the most recent legislation is Section 29 of the Taxi Regulation Act 2013. Although I notice it does not seem to give the power to demand name and address of the passenger, just to remove them and fine them.

I think the most recent legislation is Section 29 of the Taxi Regulation Act 2013. Although I notice it does not seem to give the power to demand name and address of the passenger, just to remove them and fine them.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2013/en/act/pub/0037/sec0029.html

I don't see something specifying the offence under subsection 2 is complete regardless of men's rea. In fact it omits subsection 2 from the last paragraph

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Santa Cruz wrote: »

Exactly, this guy had his good name sullied for saving the state valuable time. He was already on a job, he would have had to leave that to deal with this idiot.

You can be sure this 'victim' wouldn't try this at home.

Pity he can't be made pay costs.

Great argument for garda mounted cameras.

Section 8 theft and fraud offences act.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/act/pub/0050/sec0008.html#sec8

And nearly all are drunk muppets that you deal with. The majority can be resolved without arrest but some people just can't exercise some cop on.

• Advertisement

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2013/en/act/pub/0037/sec0029.html

I don't see something specifying the offence under subsection 2 is complete regardless of men's rea. In fact it omits subsection 2 from the last paragraph

You're right, that's not the one. I'll keep looking.

Advertisement