Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who sends Christmas cards...and who doesn't?

• 17-12-2014 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Spent the evening writing the Christmas cards...
    Who sends them still?
    I think they're part n parcel of Christmas...

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I still send some every year.

It's lovely getting cards. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I don't, it's a waste of paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I send them. I love getting them too. I lost a lot of addresses though so the list is a bit shorter this year.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I do, but not to everyone that one used to. More expensive and can do on FB for free.

Still, there's something nice about getting cards in the post. I would only send them to really close friends/family. I find we end up burning them as we receive too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭apieceofcake

I always send cards too. It's nice to see some brightly coloured envelopes on the mat when when you come in from work!!

It's a good way of keeping in touch with people you wouldn't see everyday and sending them a few lines, I think Facebook is fairly impersonal for sending Christmas greetings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I'm a hypocrite because I love receiving them but don't send any :o
    As a consequence I receive fewer and fewer each year :(
    Must rectify that somewhat this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I send them, I buy especially for friends and family, I also like to buy charity cards too, must get writing a few tonight, we are only in our new home 6 months came home to a card from a neighbour very nice of them, they don't know our names but put a christmas message on it along with their names and the number of their house

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kevin the Kid

Have you tried clevercards.ie - you can easily make some nice personal ones with photos on your phone etc. Check it out if you haven't already. Easy to use and buying Irish can't be too bad - Grinch's be warned they are a little more expensive then the norm and i doubt anything goes to charity's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Yep, I have bout 20 or so I write every year. I love spending an evening watching a Christmas movie writing them.

This year I also wrote some cards to the residents of Aras Attracta. If anyone feels like doing that they should- I started a bit of a campaign on Twitter so feel free to jump in! Tomorrow's the last day for delivery before Christmas.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Yep, I have bout 20 or so I write every year. I love spending an evening watching a Christmas movie writing them.

This year I also wrote some cards to the residents of Aras Attracta. If anyone feels like doing that they should- I started a bit of a campaign on Twitter so feel free to jump in! Tomorrow's the last day for delivery before Christmas.

:)

Great idea - can you link your Twitter campaign?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

buy cards just after christmas when reduced for next year:eek: but only send to family/close friends. find the cost of postage is ridiculously expensive.

they are nice to get i guess, but then each year when i throw them in the recycling i think what a waste, but then off i go an buy more:( ah well.

Great idea - can you link your Twitter campaign?!

https://twitter.com/DapperZo/status/542682887225872384

There was an article in The Journal about it the other day too, so hopefully they'll get flooded with cards! :):):)

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/aras-attracta-tandemn-burial-christmas-wishes-1834932-Dec2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

https://twitter.com/DapperZo/status/542682887225872384

There was an article in The Journal about it the other day too, so hopefully they'll get flooded with cards! :):):)

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/aras-attracta-tandemn-burial-christmas-wishes-1834932-Dec2014/

That's possibly one of the nicest things I've seen this year. Fair play to you and hopefully they get loads of lovely cards!

allym wrote: »
    That's possibly one of the nicest things I've seen this year. Fair play to you and hopefully they get loads of lovely cards!

Fingers crossed. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

We did, but we stopped receiving them so we stopped sending them!

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I didn't send cards in the previous years, but I sent them this year, and enjoyed getting cards in the post.
    I've come to appreciate cards over texts and fb messages more than ever since sending them. It feels like someone is thinking of you and has at least made a little effort for you :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Zipppy wrote: »
    Spent the evening writing the Christmas cards...
    Who sends them still?
    I think they're part n parcel of Christmas...

I wasn't going to send any this year as tradition being first Christmas after the loss of a close-family-member-loved- one (my Late Loving Dad), no cards sent out, but I did :o

I received some beautiful cards for myself at home this year that were lovely.
    The one that stands out today though: Some months back I received a letter at work ; started with meeting the family here in 2013, and then some months ago, this encounter. They sent me a 2-page letter to work and I ate myself for not replying to them.

So, last week I mailed to the UK a Christmas Card with a personlised notes inside for them all; and then today they sent me a lovely Christmas Card with another 2-page note inside. Beautiful, Harmless People :) Really come a long ways so they have - Wonderful!

Didn't send too many this year, just some close personal ones but certainly sent out more cards in previous years,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I never send/give them, and I'm not fussed on receiving them either. They've never really meant anything to me tbh.

This year we lost a family member and any cards I have from her from over the years and those cards mean more now, not that they didn't mean much/anything before they did of course but now they're a bit more special given that she's no longer here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I don't... my wife does. As do the wives of my friends. I don't think we're alone. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Do people sent them to people if you don't receive one off them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

If it was constantly one sided, I'd probably stop sending to that person after a couple of Christmasses of not hearing from them. :o

Advertisement