Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best WW2 book you read

• 27-05-2014 2:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3

I'm considering reading Albert Speer's "Inside the third reich" and "the forgotten soldier".

Nevertheless I'd like to hear recommendations of the best ww2 books people have read.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭boris232

Just finished Anthony Beevor's "Berlin - The Downfall" last night.

Excellent read - worth getting

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭p38

Iron Coffins by Herbert Werner. If you like U-boats
    Roll me over An Infantryman's World War 2 by Raymond Gantter
    The Mighty Eighth: The Air War in Europe as Told by the Men Who Fought It by Gerald Astor.

I have more but don't have time to list them maybe later

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Azwaldo55

The Bedford Boys: One American Town's Ultimate D-Day Sacrifice by Alex Kershaw.
    The book tells the harrowing true story of the men of Able Company, 116th Regiment, 29th Division who were the first wave that came ashore at Dog Green Sector of Omaha Beach on June 6th 1944. The unit was decimated by German artillery, mortar, machine gun and rifle fire in a matter of minutes. 19 of the dead came from Bedford, Va. a town of 3,200 in 1944. 3 more died before the Normandy Campaign ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I read the Forgotten Soldier myself , though in recent years there's been doubts to its authenticity , though the challenges to it seem very vague eg positions of units in Russia and his descriptions of unit markings on uniforms.Great read all the same , Sajer was alive until recently too , I think.

Have a look for the Long Walk by Slaovmir Rawicz , anything by Beevor and Cornelius Ryan's Longest Day is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Forgotten soldier was very good.

'The Kindly Ones' is fiction, written through the first person perspective of an SS officer. In my opinion it is fantastic, maybe the best book I've ever read. It's very long, it's not without its flaws, but overall it is a fantastic read. The scope involved is impressive and for me it seemed very well researched, and really drew me in to the war:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kindly_Ones_(Littell_novel)

I'd be very interested if anyone knew of any other narrative accounts like this of the Second World War? I'm more interested in the personal reality (like Sajer depicts in Forgotten Soldier) rather than strategic/military fact-based information.

Laurie Lee's 'A Moment at War' is a short narrative account of his time in the Spanish Civil War, and is another one I really liked.

Any other first-person narratives like this worth reading?

EDIT: Wrote more on The Kindly Ones a while back:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83054891&postcount=2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Ivan's War by Catherine Merridale. Gave me a new insight on the war from the Russian/Soviet side (and the tensions between "Russian" and "Soviet" troops - Russian soldiers were puzzled and disappointed by the less than enthusiastic welcome they received in parts of Ukraine for example). Up until then a lot of my understanding of the war in the east was based on the German narrative of seemingly infinite hordes of "Ivans" streaming west in human wave attacks. Ivan's War did a lot to highlight how the Red Army was essentially defeated in 1941 and 1942 but each time regenerated, turning men who often came from villages without electricity (and who in some cases who had never heard of Stalin) into engineers, tank drivers, artillery gunners, mechanics. An army that became a force that ultimately fought the much admired Wehrmacht to a standstill and eventually routed it all the way back to Berlin.

It put a human face on the "Ivans" as well - what motivated them to fight. Their concerns and worries about their families who were often under Nazi occupation or far behind the lines. How those fears (of betrayal by their wives who they were absent from) and sentimentality (for family life) affected their seemingly arbitrary treatment of women and children later in the war and their reintegration into families who they hadn't seen for years and who often couldn't live up to the Soviet propaganda of perfection - often they had starved or made terrible sacrifices, whilst the soldiers at the front believed their families were being taken care of. It created tension when soldiers returned to families and found things weren't as rosy as they had been told. How soldiers at the front felt betrayed or tormented by reports from their homes that their families were in difficulties, whilst they themselves were in hellish conditions.

Merridale recounts speaking to the widow of a Soviet soldier, and the woman breaking down in tears. Merridale thought she had upset her, but it turned out she was furious with her dead husband - in post war Germany he had taken a German "wife", had a child with her, and then returned home. His Russian wife had felt betrayed but accepted it as in Soviet society veterans gained access to better apartments and standards of living. But she was still angry.

And indeed the hopes and dreams of Soviet soldiers for a better future at the end of the war, a future without famines, repression and Red terrors. And its cynical betrayal by Stalin who viewed the "Great Patriotic War" as a mere gimmick to get men to fight for him, as well at the equally cynical co-opting of Soviet veterans into a "safe" narrative by the later Communist party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

One I've been thinking of rereading after many years and as a follow up to some of my more obvious recent reads like Helmet for my Pillow and With the Old Breed is The Divine Wind: Japan's Kamikaze Force in World War II. It was long ago that I first read it and I remember it gave me a better understanding of the Japanese kamikaze pilots than I previously had.

I'd also add on a much lighter note Spike Milligans Adolf Hitler: My Part In His Downfall along with his other war books. Read as either humor or war memoirs it doesn't really matter there's a good bit of truth hiding in with the laughs - if its your type of humor?

Laurie Lee has already been mentioned but I think its worth going the whole hog with his work and starting with a non war book Cider With Rosie and then As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning as they set the scene for the way, never to be returned to, that was life for many people before WWII.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Does Catch-22 count? As someone mentioned above anything from Anthony Beevor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

My suggestions would be......

Masters & Commanders by Andrew Roberts - for a review of grand strategy

All Hell Let Loose by Max Hastings - one of the better single volume histories of WWII

Decision in Normandy by Carlo d'Este - a decent account of the D-Day and the subsequent battles (his biography of Patton is also pretty good).

Six Armies in Normandy by John Keegan - not as good as D'Este, but not bad either

Why the Allies Won by Richard Overy (along with Wages of Destruction by Adam Tooze).

As for personal accounts, I tend towards the airmen.....

Fighter Pilot by Paul Richey (published just after the fall of France)

First Light by Geoff Wellum

Spitfire on My Tail: A View from the Other Side by Ulrich Steinhilper

The First And The Last by Adolf Galland

And for something a little different.......

In Command of History: Churchill Fighting and Writing the Second World War by David Reynolds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭The Dragon

Hi,

First time posting in this part of the forum. I know of a WW II book club in Dublin that has a lot of great titles. Last week I saw "Stalingrad" by Anthony Beevor on the shelf.

Another title I saw on the book shelf was "Into the Den of the Bear" written by Hermann Pfaeffle who gives his eye witness account on the Eastern Front. Pfaeffle served with 13th and 17th Panzer Division. I read this book before and would recommend it, well worth the read.

For those interested one could always e-mail the book club and ask what titles they have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm more of a fan of books that give an overview of events so I really enjoyed Max Hastings Nemesis about the war in the pacific. Also just recently read Anthony Beevors Stalingrad which was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Another one I read recently and thought was brilliant, its not to every ones taste as the author comes over to some as a bit egotistical, was Most Secret War by RV Jones. A very British story of how they stayed one step ahead of Germany's radar developments WWII, http://books.google.ie/books/about/Most_Secret_War.html?id=hkftkibM5fkC&redir_esc=y

Another author writing from the thick of it with a very personal account of American tank warfare in WWII is Death Traps by Belton Cooper, I read it because I noticed it had a forward by Stephen E Ambrose and I thought he wasn't going to write a forward to a crap book, I wasn't wrong, http://www.3ad.com/history/wwll/feature.pages/death.traps.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭p38

I'm more of a fan of books that give an overview of events so I really enjoyed Max Hastings Nemesis about the war in the pacific. Also just recently read Anthony Beevors Stalingrad which was excellent.

Have you read Berlin: The Downfall 1945 by Beevor excellent overview of the last days of the reich.

p38 wrote: »
    Have you read Berlin: The Downfall 1945 by Beevor excellent overview of the last days of the reich.

Reading it right now! About 70% through it. Not enjoying it as much as Stalingrad but still a great book.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭luckyboy

I'd also recommend "All Hell Let Loose" by Max Hastings. I think Hastings writes really well on most aspects of the Second World War ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Fav books.

First Light - Geoffrey Wellum

The Big Show (Le Grand Cirque) - Pierre Clostermann

Das Boot - Lothar Gunther Buchheim

Motor Gunboat 658 - LC Reynolds
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/His-Majestys-Gunboat-658-Mediterranean/dp/0304361836/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

A bridge too far

+1 on First Light - if you liked that Fighter Pilot by Paul Richey is worth a read (if you haven't already) - it was published anonymously after the Fall of France (because he was still a serving pilot) and tells his story of the fighting there from his perspective.

The Dragon wrote: »
    Hi,

First time posting in this part of the forum. I know of a WW II book club in Dublin that has a lot of great titles. Last week I saw "Stalingrad" by Anthony Beevor on the shelf.

Another title I saw on the book shelf was "Into the Den of the Bear" written by Hermann Pfaeffle who gives his eye witness account on the Eastern Front. Pfaeffle served with 13th and 17th Panzer Division. I read this book before and would recommend it, well worth the read.

For those interested one could always e-mail the book club and ask what titles they have.

Could you post the details?

Jawgap wrote: »
    +1 on First Light - if you liked that Fighter Pilot by Paul Richey is worth a read (if you haven't already) - it was published anonymously after the Fall of France (because he was still a serving pilot) and tells his story of the fighting there from his perspective.

Cheers don't think I've read that.

This was different but interesting

Lightning Strikes: The Story of a B-17 Bomber (Fortunes of War)

http://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Strikes-Story-Bomber-Fortunes/dp/1841450340

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭The Dragon

beauf wrote: »
    Could you post the details?

Hi beauf,

Yes, the contact details are military-history-museum@hotmail.com

It all started with a few collectors of German WW II militaria getting together and showing their collections aswell as exchanging information about books, magazines, websites and various other sources of information.

Then collectors of British and U.S WW II militaria got involved and brought their particluar area's of expertise into the frame along with all the information about books, magazines, websites etc that goes along with their interests.

When all the various historical items from the belligerent nations were exhibited together it was very impressive as everything complemented each other.

It was decided amongst the collectors to pool their knowledge together and share everything amongst each other. This was cost effective.

Family members and freinds started to turn up to the displays. Then friends of family members, then friends of friends.

A small library was formed as a result.

Last time I attended one of the exhibitions I was surprised to see, meet and speak with two WW II veterans who had served in the RAF and Royal Engineers during the war. They promised to come back again to future exhibitions and bring more veterans.

So if your interested in meeting with WW II veterans, seeing historical displays of militaria and gaining access to books, magazines that are not in your local library etc etc I would contact the above e-mail address.

Last I heard Royal Dublin Fusilier, Royal Munster Fusilier and German Imperial enthusiasts were also getting involved but that would be WW I and may not be of any interest to poeple on this section of the forum.

Hope this helps. :)

Cheers thanks for that.

Morzadec wrote: »
    Forgotten soldier was very good.

'The Kindly Ones' is fiction, written through the first person perspective of an SS officer. In my opinion it is fantastic, maybe the best book I've ever read. It's very long, it's not without its flaws, but overall it is a fantastic read. The scope involved is impressive and for me it seemed very well researched, and really drew me in to the war:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kindly_Ones_(Littell_novel)

I'd be very interested if anyone knew of any other narrative accounts like this of the Second World War? I'm more interested in the personal reality (like Sajer depicts in Forgotten Soldier) rather than strategic/military fact-based information.

Laurie Lee's 'A Moment at War' is a short narrative account of his time in the Spanish Civil War, and is another one I really liked.

Any other first-person narratives like this worth reading?

EDIT: Wrote more on The Kindly Ones a while back:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83054891&postcount=2

Read The Kindly Ones on your recommendation. Took me about 3 months, finished it about a week ago and still can't stop thinking about it. One of the most remarkable books I've ever read. It is tough going and about half through I was considering giving it up but glad I stuck with it. Would highly recommend it to anyone who is willing to invest the time and effort. Definitely in my top 10 books of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Read The Kindly Ones on your recommendation. Took me about 3 months, finished it about a week ago and still can't stop thinking about it. One of the most remarkable books I've ever read. It is tough going and about half through I was considering giving it up but glad I stuck with it. Would highly recommend it to anyone who is willing to invest the time and effort. Definitely in my top 10 books of all time.

Glad you enjoyed it. It really is a phenomenal read and one I will definitely go back to in the future.

Read "The Caine Mutiny" recently. Set on a rundown US minesweeper during ww2. Not bad and kept me interested throughout

Morzadec wrote: »
    Glad you enjoyed it. It really is a phenomenal read and one I will definitely go back to in the future.

Read "The Caine Mutiny" recently. Set on a rundown US minesweeper during ww2. Not bad and kept me interested throughout

Brilliant film and it's been done as a play which is equally brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Panzer Leader by Heinz Guderian is high on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Lost Victories by F.M Erich von Manstein. Full account of Polish campaign and how under Von Runstedt the capture of low countries and France. Excellent detail on Russian front especially Sevastopol (where he earned his F. M's baton) and efforts to free 6th army with Hoth's 4th Panzer army.

Panzer Commander by Hans Von Luck is another great read.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

p38 wrote: »

Reading this at the moment.

Its not a bad read but find that there is a laxk of explanations in relation to terms that he mentions.

I suppose he expects the reader the know these already.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Stormbird by Hermann Buchner (ISBN 978-0-85979-140-3) Luftwaffe was not all Castles and fine wine!!

I was Graf Spee's Prisoner (1940).. Cost 6D when new!! Love the film so got the book.. €11.00 on Ebay a few years back..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Just finished Ostland by David Thomas. Not saying it's the best WW2 book I've read but it is certainly one of the most thought provoking.

It's fiction but based on a real SS officer Georg Heuser who started off as a young detective in Berlin. His first case was a serial killer who murdered women on the railway network early in the war. After getting the killer Heuser was posted to the SS in Minsk and was put in charge of "processing" Jews and partizans.

The story examines how Heuser changed from someone who was shocked at the serial killers crimes to a cold mass murderer himself within a few short years. Heuser was tried for his crimes in the early sixties and the book also gives an insight how post war West Germany dealt with these cases.

It's graphic and unsettling in places but it was hard to put down and I'm still thinking about it.

Advertisement