Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen's Day / St Stephen's Day traditions

• 13-12-2014 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭

So, we have the Christmas Eve thread; but what about the 26th December? What do you do?

Waaaaaaay back BC (before children) myself and Mr December would, in our youth, hit the glam pubs and nightclubs that were open (the local being done on Christmas Eve!)

We'd get all dressed up and have a blast with our mates.

When we got married it became a day to spend with in laws even though we see both sides of the family on Christmas Day.

This year I reckon it'll just be staying at home with whichever in law stays on Christmas hanging on for the day while the children play with their haul of booty.

Anybody do anything special? Races, holidays, Christmas dinner Mark 2?

I think I'd love yo head off skiing one year on the 27th when the kids are older.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Call it Stephenses Day for a start.

Your thread title suggest you did know there was something wrong with each of your efforts, and you were rooting around for the correct name. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Nothing major to be honest bar nice long walk but always always have left over dessert for breakfast :) knew I had married the right man when I spent my first Christmas at in laws and got up to find him making me breakfast in bed.... With left over dessert as it was something he did too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

We also go out for dinner and the cinema.
    most of the men in my husband's family go for a few pints and put on bets but luckily my husband hasn't much interest and would rather spend it shopping and seeing a kids movie!

Then in the evenin we go to the In laws to do kris kindle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Big fry for breakfast, one of the few times we have one all year. My folks are normally staying with us so we head to a afternoon money as a family. Home and Christmas dinner mark 2. Which is fairly easy as its just to cook veg and mashed and roast potatoes. Everything else done the day before. Drink wine while watching tv for the rest of the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,734 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Get up & have a hearty breakfast. Off for a walk along the beach. Back home for turkey & pickled onion sandwiches, then a movie, box of Roses & a glass of sherry or two.

Dinner will be cold cuts of turkey & ham with my version of bubble & squeak. Probably play some board games with the kids & watch another movie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

We don't eat meat on Stephens's day

• Registered Users Posts: 31,802 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I go to the pub and watch Stephen's Day soccer and then go back home for dinner! Relax for the day then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Call it Stephenses Day for a start.

Your thread title suggest you did know there was something wrong with each of your efforts, and you were rooting around for the correct name. :)

Both of the versions that the OP included in the title are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Heroditas wrote: »
    Both of the versions that the OP included in the title are right.

I originally included Boxing Day in the title too, I don't know where that went!

Am I right that in some cultures Christmas Eve is the big day, and Christmas Day is the rest day? I wonder what the 26th means for them?

Maybe some posters with that experience could share too?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Ticking and Bashing

Our uncle had a talent of catching Wrens so we'd put one in a see through container (it had air holes and bran :p so we weren't all that cruel!) we'd bring it around to pubs and play the accordion and tin whistle while another one of us collected money! It was good fun! The Wren prob wouldn't agree :p. Think one woman gave out to us one year! She was British and thought it was cruel that we had a bird in a container like that! I agreed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I go to the pub and watch Stephen's Day soccer and then go back home for dinner! Relax for the day then.

Football doesn't be on TV til after 5 on St Stephend day, my days have changed since with the girlfriend and we are getting more serious!

Used to contain pubs, races football, dinner and back on the tiles!

now it contains races, dinner with the in laws (brief glimpses of the footie), prolonged drinking session with the in laws & onto a club (don't think this will happen anymore, too old for that :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Football doesn't be on TV til after 5 on St Stephend day, my days have changed since with the girlfriend and we are getting more serious!

Used to contain pubs, races football, dinner and back on the tiles!

now it contains races, dinner with the in laws (brief glimpses of the footie), prolonged drinking session with the in laws & onto a club (don't think this will happen anymore, too old for that :)

Nowadays there's football from 12.45, 12.45, 3 & 5.15 kick offs.

A few years ago I would have told you my Stephens Day tradition was going to the pub for the 12.45 kick off and staying there all day.

Now it's spending time with family.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I originally included Boxing Day in the title too, I don't know where that went!

Am I right that in some cultures Christmas Eve is the big day, and Christmas Day is the rest day? I wonder what the 26th means for them?

Maybe some posters with that experience could share too?

In Scandinavian countries, the 24th is the big day when they exchange presents etc. They still have s big meal on the 25th though. At least, that's what happens in Sweden where my sister lives.

Tradition on the 26th for me used to be to work in my local Super Valu (double time was great). Then a couple of sneaky points before heading home for another large dinner with family and relatives.
    After I finished college, I indulged in the Leopardstown races, Lep Inn and Club 92 mayhem for a few years.
    Later still, it involved heading to the rugby if there was a match on.
    Now that I'm married with a family, it involves doing as little as possible because I just want to spend some time with them at home! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Up at 6am to hit the sales, finish up about 10am and go for breakfast with my friends. The I head home and spend the rest of the day drinking wine/tea on the couch while watching boxsets and gorging myself on all the goodies. Tactical nap in the evening and then I have work that night.

I know some people can't think of anything worse than getting up at that time to go shopping but I literally can't even sleep with excitement the night before, I've gotten some amazing bargains the last few years and its totally worth it for me. Wouldn't spend my day any other way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

efb wrote: »

I don't either. It's a tradition passed down from my mother's parents and more particularly her father whose family is from the north originally. I've no idea of the meaning of the tradition, I think it has something to do with health? Most people have never heard of it.

I do it as a way to remember my grandparents at Christmas. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭snowgal

We usually sleep in abit, then up and toast and eggs or turkey/cheese toasties. Bit of cleaning from the night before then on to the couch for corny christmas movies! Then that evening my mam is over and hubby does a mean Stephens day cold spread!! Every accompaniment you can imagine, pickles, cranberry sauce, pickled cabbage, onions,mustard, mint sauce, mayo, you name it, is laid out on the table along with cold carved leftover turkey, smoked ham, spiced beef, sausage stuffing and then a big mound of hot bubble and squeak (well leftover potatoes/brussel sprouts and lots of butter!!) It really is yummy :) then depending on our mood, either veg on couch drinking more wine than my body can take or down to the local for a few...

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

My mam cooks a whole second Christmas dinner on Stephen's day! A fresh turkey, ham and all the trimmings. My mam and our family, and my stepdad and his family, do Christmas day separately (we go to my brother's, the stepfamily spend it together in one of their houses) so Stephen's day is when everyone's together in my mam and stepdad's house. It's very informal, the food is made and then people eat as they arrive or take turns as there's not enough seats for everyone. Between the two families, there are about 30 people for dinner.

Then my sister and I go up and get ready to go out. Biggest night of the year where I'm from (same with most country towns) and Christmas is really the only time I go out at home. Plus my sister lives in Australia so it's when she gets to catch up with everyone.

The 27th is usually another night out. Often meet some friends for a hangover feed, and then hit the pub for a quieter night than the 26th, but usually more enjoyable!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Corvo

My birthday is the 26th so it's a day I typically despise, not because I'm getting older (I'll be 26 this Christmas) but because I would love to have a nice quiet few pints but the pub is always packed with people I wouldn't see from one year to the next. I know that sounds like I'm a right crank, would just be nice to have one birthday like that!

Anyway, my usual traditions are that I receive a full fry up with champagne and open my birthday presents, then would proceed to the bookies to place a few bets on the horses and the football that day. I support United, and they usually have a game on so I might head to the pub early and watch that and stay around until 3pm or so. Then I would either head home and fire up the Xbox or if some of the lads are having a few games of cards go there, or if I'm lucky this Christmas - I might get to spend with the girl I'm now seeing, which would be a fantastic little present! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Neither do we!
    My mam frantically reminds everyone several times throughout the day too, "no meat today!".
    Despite me being a veggie for over 10 years she still feels the need to remind me :p

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭kellymick39

Going for a quick dip in the 40 foot on Stephens Day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Stephens Day for me has to be lots of exercise.
    I have been known to take a dip in the sea if I missed the Xmas Day dip.
    If there is snow, I will head for the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Lie-on, then probably just a cup of tea and toast for breakfast.
    I always think we'll have a second Christmas dinner, but we never do...I usually make a home-made curry using the turkey meat (it's amazing how melt-in-the-mouth the meat becomes once you introduce it to a hot pan).

Watch some films and the soaps, have some wine and goodies and generally chill out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭A_smurf

It's a pretty lazy day, like the day before but most years I would go to the cinema with Dad or go out for a drive! :) Wouldn't even think of hitting the sales, shops would be too crazy with not much to show for it. Mam usually would reheat the leftover turkey and ham from the day before with roast potatoes, mmm... :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Have a second xmas dinner, and visit or be visited by the cousins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭gidget

We also have a Christmas Dinner part 2 in my nanas again. Then when we get home, my dad who's a bit of a scrooge always says gleefully " Well that's it for another year" - he loves to wind us up with that cause he knows how much myself & my mam love Christmas. Rest of the night is just jumping into pj's watching tv & consuming more goodies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

We don't eat meat on Xmas Eve. I thought that was the tradition...what a funny country we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We had a lie in until 3pm. Badly needed thanks to a certain new baby who feels that we have night and day mixed up. Then simple cereal brekkie, walk with the dogs and Christmas dinner two. This time in our own house, in our pjs watching TV in front of the fire. Followed by mince pies, crisps and chocolate and a glass of wine.

Lazy cosy lovely day.

Advertisement