Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hot Chocolate

Options
  • 12-12-2014 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭

I know i'm not the only one out there that loves a nice Hot Chocolate at Christmas.

Past years i've gone for the powder store brands .. which some are lovely..

But this year I wanted to try something different.. and wanted to know have others tried it.

It's simple.. I want to melt milk chocolate ( over hot water or in a chocolate melting machine ) - scoop a few spoons into a cup and then heat up milk and add it... Mixing like mad of course.

Have you tried this way ? -- Is it nice ?

How do you make yours ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭minipink

Take a trip to Cafe Frei in Liffey Valley, I'm not a mad hot chocolate fan but holy moly their classic swiss hot chocolate is what you'd imagine mrs claus would serve santa. They have several varieties of hot chocolate and their coffee list is phenomenal! My brother makes nutella hot chocolate and melts the nutella spoonfuls in milk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭gidget

Love, Love, Love Hot Chocolate, Am a big fan of the Insomnia Hot Chocolate with the chocolate shavings on top. Wish they sold the syrup that they use to make it.

Maybe you could try with the Hershey syrup & milk if the melted chocolate plan doesn't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Bought something like an ice-cream cone shape baggie (that's the best I can describe it) from The Delgany.
    Top - marshmallows
    Middle - chocolate chips
    Bottom - chocolate powder

And power to two cups, mix in boiling water and stir.
    Then add the Top & Middle and stir.

It was absolutely awesome...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

minipink wrote: »
    My brother makes nutella hot chocolate and melts the nutella spoonfuls in milk

I do this but with the Cadbury chocolate spread. Whisk it into the milk as it heats up in the saucepan.

NOM!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭flynny50

Saw this on tv the other day,looks lovely!

jamieoliver.com/recipes/chocolate-recipes/epic-hot-chocolate/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Twinings Swiss hot choc is one of my faves :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Lilly o Briens 1kg bag of chocolate buttons is great for hot chocolate. Not expensive either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I have Callebaut 54% chocolate that I melt into hot milk. I just add a spoon of chocolate chips at a time until I think I have enough. I like mine pretty chocolatey.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

Fallon and Byrne do single source South American chocolate discs

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Lidl have a hot chocolate like you are after. Its just a tin of little chocolate buttons. Pop some in a cup, add in some scalding milk and stir like mad! Absolutely lovely stuff! And I do like my hot chocolate :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I love hot chocolate :D If I make it with real chocolate I usually do it on the hob by heating the milk first and when its warm add the chocolate and stir/whisk until melted.

Lovely to add some things to it then, like if you have some vanilla extract, peppermint essense, desicated coconut, ground ginger, cinnamon and so on. Experiment with whatever is in the house :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

Twinings Swiss hot choc is one of my faves :)

Came across this one year as it was on offer. Best homemade hot chocolate you can get. Tried loads, even the butlers chocolate blocks you stir into hot milk. Twining still won

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

O'connells chocolates in cork do a milk and dark hot chocolate -lovely - they sometimes have hot chocolate kits-

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

matchthis wrote: »
    Came across this one year as it was on offer. Best homemade hot chocolate you can get. Tried loads, even the butlers chocolate blocks you stir into hot milk. Twining still won

Same for me, it was on special in Aldi! It wouldn't be the first one your eye would pick but people should really give it a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Jamie Oliver and his epic hot chocolate mix is simple to make and just gorgeous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

Costa are doing a Black Forest Hot Chocolate as part of their Christmas range, and sweet Jesus it's tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

I melted a Mars bar in the microwave, added hot milk and 2 spoons of cocoa. It was good. Don't know where I picked that one up.

Tried the Nutella one too - that was nice too.

Bought the Spanish hot chocolate mix in Aldi as it said it made thick hot chocolate. It IS thick, but it is like a cup of chocolate flavoured carageen!

One of the best water based ones I ever had was a Suchard packet. The Wispa one is really bad :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

My drinking chocolate recipe goes as follows.

A teaspoon of Green & Blacks cocoa powder. (Bournville as possible alternative but I'm morally and ethically opposed to Cadburys.)
    A dash of cold milk to mix said powder.
    Add 2 teaspoons of Monin Gingerbead coffee syrup. (This is what I use as I can't find cinnamon anywhere!)
    Add 1 teaspoon of amaretto coffee syrup (hmmm perhaps the alcohol would be better?)
    (Possibly add a dash of vanilla extract? Not sure, sometimes I do sometimes I don't.)

Stir well, heat milk in a saucepan, add milk to mix in cup, stir.
    Top with cream and sprinkle with chocolate.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

gidget wrote:
    Love, Love, Love Hot Chocolate, Am a big fan of the Insomnia Hot Chocolate with the chocolate shavings on top. Wish they sold the syrup that they use to make it.

I agree, insomnia hot chocolate is amazing! insomnia cleverly pour melted chocolate in the side of the cup! <3 yummy!

Gulliver wrote: »
    I melted a Mars bar in the microwave, added hot milk and 2 spoons of cocoa. It was good. Don't know where I picked that one up.

Tried the Nutella one too - that was nice too.

Bought the Spanish hot chocolate mix in Aldi as it said it made thick hot chocolate. It IS thick, but it is like a cup of chocolate flavoured carageen!

One of the best water based ones I ever had was a Suchard packet. The Wispa one is really bad :(

That Spanish hot chocolate is GROSS. It's like chocolate flavoured tar alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

gidget wrote: »

I have to agree.. I love Insomnia's one.. and it's the place I go to most.. But the last time I went there must have been a new guy cos he didn't make it nice.. and no choc on top !!
    Kovu wrote: »
    I do this but with the Cadbury chocolate spread. Whisk it into the milk as it heats up in the saucepan.

NOM!

I'd try this before nutella.. not a fan of nutella.
    Lilly o Briens 1kg bag of chocolate buttons is great for hot chocolate. Not expensive either :)

Have to get some..

minipink wrote: »
    Take a trip to Cafe Frei in Liffey Valley, I'm not a mad hot chocolate fan but holy moly their classic swiss hot chocolate is what you'd imagine mrs claus would serve santa. They have several varieties of hot chocolate and their coffee list is phenomenal! My brother makes nutella hot chocolate and melts the nutella spoonfuls in milk
    I've never heard of this place.. and i'm sure i'll be in Liffery Valley next week I will be taking a trip for sure.

I love hot chocolate :D If I make it with real chocolate I usually do it on the hob by heating the milk first and when its warm add the chocolate and stir/whisk until melted.

Lovely to add some things to it then, like if you have some vanilla extract, peppermint essense, desicated coconut, ground ginger, cinnamon and so on. Experiment with whatever is in the house :)

So you warm milk in a normal pot ? and add bits of chocolate ?
    How hot do you let the milk get ?
    How much chocolate do ya add ?

Ohhh i want one now .. lol

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Costa are doing a Black Forest Hot Chocolate as part of their Christmas range, and sweet Jesus it's tasty!

It is delicious alright. I tried their Orange Hot Chocolate on Saturday - also very tasty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

miamee wrote:
    It is delicious alright. I tried their Orange Hot Chocolate on Saturday - also very tasty!!

oh the orange H.C sounds tempting!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

I wasn't much of a fan of hot chocolate until I went visiting a few weeks ago and was given a hot chocolate. It was nice and I liked it. I since had a Bailey's hot chocolate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Any plain hot choc with a candy cane and spray cream is very Christmassy I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I have never tried to make my own, I had a look today for the twinngs brand but had no luck,

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Straylight

Mint Aero wrote: »
    A teaspoon of Green & Blacks cocoa powder. (Bournville as possible alternative but I'm morally and ethically opposed to Cadburys.)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Cadburys bought Green & Blacks in 2005. Of course they've both since been bought by Kraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Jamie Oliver did a wicked hot chocolate few christmas' ago for his programme. Tried making it and really was unreal. Link>>http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chocolate-recipes/epic-hot-chocolate/

Advertisement