Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Short Days/Long Nights and Outstanding Bills.

• 13-12-2014 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭

Mid Winter is nearly upon us.
    So far this year the seasons have been relatively kind to us, up until the last couple of weeks when the temperature dropped along with lots of rain.
    However I am still playing catch up with bills incurred from feeding factory cattle earlier this year and been down financially due to ****e factory prices for bulls.
    Bull beef prices this Spring/Summer and the lack of facilities to slaughter them in was a total shame :mad:
    I felt that our farming representatives were running with the hounds whilst chasing the hare and did not represent me and other farmers in my area. Seems to me that the factories reaped the rewards of the hard work and slog that we put into those cattle.
    Thankfully in the Autumn I was able to return to contract office work that earned me enough money to clear the meal bill.
    I, like most farmers have additional expenses and overheads that I will struggle to clear in the next few months.
    However, when I look at the bunch of weanlings that we have now, I feel a swell of pride in the knowledge that I have got them this far and they are the future of this farming enterprise.
    So any of ye in a simular situation - don't despair, row your own boat as best you can but don't be afraid to take on willing help or advice from family, friends or neighbours.
    I did and am very thankful for same.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The farming community is like a family. Lots of bitching and snide comments but when the chips are really down, they'll pull together and won't see anyone stuck.
    IME.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Base price wrote: »
    Mid Winter is nearly upon us.
    So far this year the seasons have been relatively kind to us, up until the last couple of weeks when the temperature dropped along with lots of rain.
    However I am still playing catch up with bills incurred from feeding factory cattle earlier this year and been down financially due to ****e factory prices for bulls.
    Bull beef prices this Spring/Summer and the lack of facilities to slaughter them in was a total shame :mad:
    I felt that our farming representatives were running with the hounds whilst chasing the hare and did not represent me and other farmers in my area. Seems to me that the factories reaped the rewards of the hard work and slog that we put into those cattle.
    Thankfully in the Autumn I was able to return to contract office work that earned me enough money to clear the meal bill.
    I, like most farmers have additional expenses and overheads that I will struggle to clear in the next few months.
    However, when I look at the bunch of weanlings that we have now, I feel a swell of pride in the knowledge that I have got them this far and they are the future of this farming enterprise.
    So any of ye in a simular situation - don't despair, row your own boat as best you can but don't be afraid to take on willing help or advice from family, friends or neighbours.
    I did and am very thankful for same.
    Fair play to you for going back to work-not that you where not working anyway:)-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

We were in a similar situation here bp after 2012/13
    Had serious fertility problems and SCC in herd running up to 2012 and then ground not being up to scratch so we couldn't grow the grass as well as a very high stocking rate
    Cows hadn't the production as we kept a lot if carry overs to keep the numbers up. To try get the milk out of them they were being filled with meal in 2012, and then spring 2013 came had no silage from mid Feb and no grass from 1st march till last days of April and we couldn't afford silage.

Thankfully out the other end of it now and thanks to a very understanding merchant we got the bill cleared this spring.
    Hopefully won't ever see anything like it again

Advertisement