Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Bird feeding forum?

• 29-10-2014 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,067 ✭✭✭Mech1

Well is there one? I cant find it if there is.

Maybe we could just use this thread?

Anyway I have my feeders out since yesterday, only Magpies sofar.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

• Registered Users Posts: 5,067 ✭✭✭Mech1

Can you move this starter post there? please?
    its just that I cant find a specific thread even over there.
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Moving to Nature and Birdwatching. Please be aware the different charter applies from hereon in.

Ok , Thanks mods, got here eventually.

Is there a general "wild bird feeding" thread already?

If not join in here please.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

We might have a garden birds one from last winter, but no harm in discussing stuff here!

I've noticed more birds (both species and number) in my garden over the last week - still feeding on the sunflowers and berries in the garden, but I'm going to avail of the birdfood on sale in Aldi tomorrow and stock up for the winter and put a few feeders out!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I've noticed more birds (both species and number) in my garden over the last week - still feeding on the sunflowers and berries in the garden, but I'm going to avail of the birdfood on sale in Aldi tomorrow and stock up for the winter and put a few feeders out!

Just noticed, they have a Swallow coming in to feed on the peanut feeder. :)

Anyone got a good Dublin supplier of beef dripping, better known in online forums as suet I think.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

whyulittle wrote: »
    Just noticed, they have a Swallow coming in to feed on the peanut feeder. :)

I saw that too! :D I won't be holding my breath for one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Mack Clean Wall

Mech1 wrote: »
    Anyone got a good Dublin supplier of beef dripping, better known in online forums as suet I think.

:confused: Any Butchers shop will have dripping for free. Suet is the proper name for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

are sultanas and raisins good for birds?

fryup wrote: »
    are sultanas and raisins good for birds?

Absolutely. Mix them with your seed mix and add porridge oats as well.

Any tips on getting the magpies / starlings to back off?

not this year yet for the starlings but 9 magpies in my garden every morning, its not a big garden!

I found I was swamped many years back by rooks magpies and starlings but I watched to see what they were feeding on and found when I limited larger ground food their numbers decreased.

I found I was swamped many years back by rooks magpies and starlings but I watched to see what they were feeding on and found when I limited larger ground food their numbers decreased.

Im finding that the beef dripping cakes im making with grated cheese are the biggest attraction for the magpies, but i dont want to cut that source of fat off to any smaller guys that may arrive come the colder weather.

anyone bought the "bird feeding station" in aldi?

any comments on quality?

My sis in law has picked one up for me but i wont see it till the weekend.

Im finding that the beef dripping cakes im making with grated cheese are the biggest attraction for the magpies, but i dont want to cut that source of fat off to any smaller guys that may arrive come the colder weather.

I have said it so often here: but birds only need fats in very severe weather. Stop all fats now and the magpies may stop coming after some days. Only put the fats out when we have consistent sub zero temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Hondo75

I heard by putting the feeder out late in the evening for early morning and taking in before midday, avoids magpies and starlings over running the place.

This can also be done by only 1/4 filling feeder.

Tried this with my dads feeder and seems to be working

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

loose seed that falls is likely to attract bigger birds like street picker pigeons and the row family

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

Anyway I have my feeders out since yesterday, only Magpies sofar.

It can take a while for birds to realise/notice you have food out. What are you feeding and what kind of feeder?

• Advertisement

I've had my best results over last fee years using nijer seed and sunflower hearts.
    Fat balls will attract starlings and crows/magpies. Using a squirrel proof feeder (feeder inside a larger open wire mesh) can help keep the larger birds off them.

The base aldi sell does the job, you can always add additional and seed specific feeders from elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭glaswegian

is there any reason not to feed the bigger birds? i always have a gang of pigeons patiently waiting for the smaller birds to pick out the seeds they want from the feeder,the pigeons then clean up whats been discarded. also like to watch the jackdaws flying up and "kicking" the feeders so the seed falls onto the ground.

glaswegian wrote: »
    is there any reason not to feed the bigger birds? i always have a gang of pigeons patiently waiting for the smaller birds to pick out the seeds they want from the feeder,the pigeons then clean up whats been discarded. also like to watch the jackdaws flying up and "kicking" the feeders so the seed falls onto the ground.

I would love to have a bigger garden in order to feed all comers.

Unfortunatly i dont and the worry is me attracting loads of Magpies / jackdaws / starlings and the accompaning noise / waste droppings on my neighbours right to a peaceful and clean back garden.

forgive the spelling, in a rush, not checking

Dont forget to dry out the feeders and put out fresh stuff, this rain will have soaked everything to the core.

Is it cold enough now to put out the fats?

Magpies have left me alone since i removed them, but I have a cage feeder sorted now.

Pics to follow at the weekend, but its a rabbit run hung on the fence with feeders inside, if you can picture that in your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

My fat balls have been out for a couple of weeks now and the home made ones are not lasting long. Like you I have been plagued by Magpies but I have reduced the volume and fed the table a few times a day and that seems to have done the trick....

TT

Another tip to deter larger birds is to attach the feeders by strong elastic bands. They don't like how the feeder moves when they try to alight on them.

Best results again this year with nijer and sunflower hearts. Flocks of tits and finches. Plenty of goldfinches last few days. Amusing watching the starlings nearly strangling themselves trying to get at the fat balls which are in a squirrel proof feeder which also keeps out the bigger birds.

Set of feeders like these keep away crows, magpies and starlings
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wild-Squirrel-Proof-Feeders--Peanut/dp/B00H0KJUIQ/ref=sr_1_sc_2?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1418308772&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=squirrel+proof+feeder

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we started putting out fat balls again when the frost returned. and the fox started taking the feeder again.

Advertisement