Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life after Alcoholism..

• 06-12-2014 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 31 disengage

Hi all,

I recently posted a thread on the Personal Issues forum (it's still on page one, I cannot link because it's a new account) and some posters encouraged me to post on the non drinkers group, so here I am.

I've been sober for 6 days (a rare occasion in the last 10 years) and it has been pretty tough so far. I have a number for a counsellor who I'm hoping to see next Thursday.

Not sure counselling is for me but I suppose everybody says that. Hard to know until you try.

Many of the posters over there have been very kind with their time and sending me messages of support which certainly has helped so far so I suppose that's why I'm here.

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 disengage

Edit function is not working for some reason. Would be nice if another poster or mod could link to the thread just for some reference. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lmao_Man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I had a look at your other thread already. I am sober just shy of 13 years and an AA member....it's not a bad life. Sure beats the
    alternative!

Just wanted to wish you the best on your new journey :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

All the best to you man on that decision. Every day away from alcohol is a day back to life.

Some of my posts may be very self indulgent but I find typing things out helps to make them clearer in my mind.

I have a day off tomorrow and hope to go running in the morning. Weather permitting. I work a lot, which can be helpful or a hindrance depending on my mood and at the moment I travel from north Louth (close to the North) to Blackrock (Dublin) 6 days a week. It's a pretty insane commute but being at home with family is probably beneficial at the moment. I also like being busy as much as possible as it keeps me away from drink.

Anyway, back to tomorrow.. I am really at a loss as to what I will do for the rest of the day. I am not one to sit around and do nothing so I will need some activities. I am pretty burnt out on tv shows, radio, podcasts etc. after travelling all week.

I can go shopping for some stuff I need to buy but that will only occupy me for a couple of hours at most. I think I probably need to eat more now I'm not drinking (wasn't a priority a lot of the time). Perhaps go out for a meal.

Mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭poeticmakaveli

good luck on your journey man!! stay positive and let your family help you too!! maybe take up a new hobby! i know a man that is off the drink a few years and he took up poker and he loves it now! plays it regular for small money,but it gets him out and enjoys the poker table conversations!! take up something maybe you have never tried before! There is plenty out there,you just got to let the guard down a little and try something new! good luck brother!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

For me my whole life was a complete mess when I was drinking ,every part of it. Now, nearly coming up to six years in January ,My whole life Is 1000 times better in every way ,every part of it.

I have never met a person who has stopped drinking who has said I wish I was back on the drink,never.

Put your plan into place,read some of the great posts here and keep posting, good luck OP. It's well worth it.

Thanks for the support.

Things are still going to plan. Certainly sleeping a lot better and every day I don't drink feels like a great achievement. Sober evenings can seem very long and a bit dull but that will take time and a shift in my thought process

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mct1

Hi disengage,
    It's not easy to do this alone, so you might like to check out the forum at www.brighteyecounselling.co.uk. Post on the New Members thread and maybe join the sobriety challenges. It's a safe and supportive place and you'll find lots of folk from around the world doing the same as you. It's a hard road but well worth the struggle. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7 firstday

well done on staying of it. ive just givin up 2 days ago so im still new to it but tonight i went to an AA meeting and found it a great help. you dont have to say a word jus listen and it gave me the encouragement to stay off the drink and passed sum time cause it is boring at the start. gud luck man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Im 5 yrs off the drink, best thing I ever did. Take it one day at a time.

• disengage wrote: »
    Hi all,

I recently posted a thread on the Personal Issues forum (it's still on page one, I cannot link because it's a new account) and some posters encouraged me to post on the non drinkers group, so here I am.

I've been sober for 6 days (a rare occasion in the last 10 years) and it has been pretty tough so far. I have a number for a counsellor who I'm hoping to see next Thursday.

Not sure counselling is for me but I suppose everybody says that. Hard to know until you try.

Many of the posters over there have been very kind with their time and sending me messages of support which certainly has helped so far so I suppose that's why I'm here.

Thanks for reading

Being off it since New Year's Day this year, I suppose the very first thing you need is to make the decision to not drink for, at least, a specific period (I found it too hard to say "forever"). For me, it was until the start of Lent. Then, until the end of Lent, and so on I continued with new targets. Beer festivals, weddings and the like were a painful challenge but I just had to fight the massive brainwashing by avoidance and counter brainwashing; essentially, though, the more I excluded the alcohol world, the less brainwashing I needed of myself and the easier it became with time.

The biggest assistance in sticking to that resolve, for me, was changing my environment in its entirety. There is no alcohol in our home and I avoid almost entirely being around it (the times when I had no choice I found the support on this forum singularly helpful in battling the temptation to self-destruct). I still have not made the transition into a physically healthy, spiritually mindful life that could fill this seemingly interminable emptiness which excessive drinking numbed and ultimately deepened over the years. Hopefully, I will be in a stronger place to do that in the next year. I do walk regularly and that's hugely important for me to keeping mood positive. I also am immersing myself in learning another language and achieving little aims in that regularly is great for my self-esteem and changing my reality.

For now, though, I know if I ever drink again I will feel I've lost control of my life and the fragile foundations I've helped to build in the past year will crash with my self-esteem. I have to be strong, because despair and hopelessness is the alternative. I will hurt too many people who need me if I break. There's no honour in that particular scenario and it's too much to see again pain that I've caused in people who give me nothing but love.

It does get easier to stay off drink - my big concern before I gave up - but it's imperative that I never return to falling into the trap of romanticising alcohol-based times and their real effects on my productivity in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 firstday

nearly a whole year for you that greats, i hope i can say that this time next year. you have been so strong this far and that should give u belief in yourself to keep going. im only new to this its been 4 days so far but what i read in the forums and at the aa meetings was that it get easier over time.

i know how you feel hurtin the people you love ive done it countless time and this is the last straw for them cause if i dont do it this time thats dem gone from my life.them ppl show us nutin but love nd affection nd we decide to drink know wat i does.

gud tip for gettin a bit fitter. go out nd buy sum running gear like that hi-vis runnin jackets and a pair of running shoes.when i bought them it started to push me a bit more to get fitter cn that i had da gear so i better us it and now i enjoy goin for a jog anytime day r night.

good luck over christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭bluemartin

disengage wrote: »

I think I probably need to eat more now I'm not drinking (wasn't a priority a lot of the time). Perhaps go out for a meal.

Mark.

Hi Mark,

Great decision to stop, probably best decision you will ever make. Now is your opportunity to create a new interest and why not try out receipies for delicious home cooked food. Don't go out, buy the ingredients and cook from scratch, you will love the end result and it will be something for you to do. We all love our food, it's one of the great joys of life.

Advertisement