Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Driving Lessons

• 18-11-2014 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Sorry if this in the wrong forum but I'm looking for the cheapest driving lessons available in the Dublin city area for a Christmas present. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Tard wrote: »
    Sorry if this in the wrong forum but I'm looking for the cheapest driving lessons available in the Dublin city area for a Christmas present. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

Probably not a suggestion you want, but I'd suggest going with lessons from a good instructor whose reputation is good locally and has been recommended to you through peoples own experience with them, rather than the cheapest you can find. They may be the cheapest, but if you end up buying lessons with a nightmare instructor they'll do far more harm than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I can recommend the guy I used, he was €30 per lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

kitten_k wrote: »
    I can recommend the guy I used, he was €30 per lesson.

My guy was the same price, still is because my boyfriend is using him now. I think it's cheaper again if you sign up for 10 or 12 lessons (can't remember which exactly). He's South Dublin only, so if that suits PM me and I'll pass on his details.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

OP, are you looking to buy a couple of lessons or a full set of 12?

If you're getting the 12 make sure whoever the lessons are for has their learners permit and is ready to start the lessons asap. My husband got me a voucher for 12 EDT lessons for Valentine's Day and we had awful trouble when it came to organising them. We ended up cancelling and asking for a (partial) refund after 2 lessons. I never got a logbook so will have to take and pay for those 2 lessons again.

I'd recommend anyone taking advantage of the 12 EDT lessons for €300 deal to book the lessons when you pay, like book in X day at Y time and get written confirmation of the appointment. I know this might not be possible if you're getting someone a gift though.

OP, are you looking to buy a couple of lessons or a full set of 12?

If you're getting the 12 make sure whoever the lessons are for has their learners permit and is ready to start the lessons asap. My husband got me a voucher for 12 EDT lessons for Valentine's Day and we had awful trouble when it came to organising them. We ended up cancelling and asking for a (partial) refund after 2 lessons. I never got a logbook so will have to take and pay for those 2 lessons again.

I'd recommend anyone taking advantage of the 12 EDT lessons for €300 deal to book the lessons when you pay, like book in X day at Y time and get written confirmation of the appointment. I know this might not be possible if you're getting someone a gift though.

Never, ever buy 12 lessons upfront with an instructor who you've never used before. Do a couple of lessons before committing to a whole set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

The guy I mentioned above let me have 2 lessons with him before I committed to a set of 12, and subtracted the amount I had already paid him from the set price of the block of 12. Very decent of him.

jokettle wrote: »
    The guy I mentioned above let me have 2 lessons with him before I committed to a set of 12, and subtracted the amount I had already paid him from the set price of the block of 12. Very decent of him.

That's fine and decent of him. But in reference to buying someone lessons for Christmas, generally getting them a huge bunch of lessons with an instructor they've never used before is a bad idea. If you head over to the learning to drive forum you'll see how frequently people end up having problems with instructors wondering if they can get the money back having purchased the whole 12 lessons upfront. A couple of lessons as a gift with someone who's been recommended - fine. But 12 lessons when they don't know if they like the instructor...? Not a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baegan

anyone have any recommendations in west dublin,clonsilla, blanch area.thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Any recommendations by PM only please.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Poster2014

Hi all, I can't recommend my driving instructor highly enough. He usually operates around the north Dublin area but not 100% sure on the areas he works in. I haven't booked my test yet but I can really notice a huge difference between his methods and previous instructors. €30 a lesson isn't too bad either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 oceanwhizz

Poster2014 wrote: »
    Hi all, I can't recommend my driving instructor highly enough. He usually operates around the north Dublin area but not 100% sure on the areas he works in. I haven't booked my test yet but I can really notice a huge difference between his methods and previous instructors. €30 a lesson isn't too bad either!

hi :) can u pm me his name? tanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭owen85

oceanwhizz wrote: »
    hi :) can u pm me his name? tanks!

Did you end up going with this instructor? if so how did it work out for you? can you pm me the instructors details if it went well?

Advertisement