Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's time to chainsaw a few trees...

• 09-12-2014 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Dusting off the chainsaw, it's time for some dead trees to be put to good use. :)

In Eire

Overseas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Watching those videos makes me uneasy the whole time.

Chainsaw use (let alone felling) is one of those things you either do right or you leave it alone. That first fella should leave it alone. You have the right idea and approach to the job but have a fair bit of room for improvement in the execution of the task at hand! :)

Here, these are excellent videos:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0VcazyXHqErUd8ib-OKs6sZkfGFQ5shu

Same applies no matter what saw or how big or small a tree you're dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

Yep, heard it before mate. I appreciate your bhudda concern but I fly by feel, not by wire bread.

Also my uncle in that video just does his own thing even more than I do in some ways. :)

The chainsawing continues...

I don't get it and I take back what I said earlier. You wear saw chaps, gloves, helmet and ear protection and then run that saw at the same level as your neck, in a remote location, holding it in such a way that the chainbrake won't work if it kicks back at times, when there's a good risk of the chain pinching with the way you're making the cut, on top of a ladder where your balance is already compromised..... The list goes on man!

331181.JPG

I like lots of your videos dude but that's a really bad way to do that job. You know that already. You're not stupid. It's not a method, it's just putting on some gear, cutting a bit off a tree and saying you just do your own thing and you've heard it before when someone points out that what you're doing sets a bad example, especially in that last video. You even have at the end you changed the way you do it now maybe because you know it's a crappy way to do it.

YouTube is full of people doing stupid things with chainsaws and I'm surprised that you're doing it to be fair. Taking dumb risks isn't something that fits with survivalism and self sufficiency and I didn't think it was your intention, but being ignorant and dismissing the video playlist and my comments is telling. You could do that the proper way and make a video and I'd applaud your effort but I've seen the other ones of MMM butchering a tree too that you pulled down last time. I was giving the benefit of the doubt but it looks like sod all changed really. For shame man.

A darwin award awaits you if you keep that up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Some potential Darwin Award winners in those videos.

It's easy to sit back and put me down lads, but at the end of the day you cannot get the perfect results when you're in a remote area. I use what I can, the best I can and take risks where necessary. Cotton wool and 'safety' hold you back to the point where you get nothing done.

I'll have a cabin built and when it's done I can say 'This wasn't done by being ultra-safe, but it got done nonetheless' instead of 'I was too scared and everyone said I was doing it dangerously so I won't get anything built.

The chainbreak conundrum on what you said from the screenshot would basically result in it flipping back and falling down. Something I can accept.

Next response is on 'You've got it at the same level as your neck.'

No it isn't, it's at chest height, I should know I was there cutting. At NO time did I go that high with a chainsaw, even I know that one mate. :)

Chain didn't pinch once either as my cuts were decent.

Also the video was an early example, the newer example was much safer. So don't worry your ways, the Ryder evolves and advances through the dangerzone relentlessly while others chastise and whine. IF I should suffer and injury then that's my fate and destiny to do so. IF someone follows my example and get's hurt, that's THEIR destiny and fate. Nobody can change that, not even cool wordings from fellow survivalists on here :)
    Better a Darwin Award than a Sloth Award ;)

Remember this above all else:

Adversity brings knowledge, and knowledge wisdom... :)

• Advertisement

It's easy to criticise and I wound't want you to feel that's all I'm doing. It's clear to see you've picked up the basic understanding of what you're at with the saw but there are a combination of things that ring alarm bells, maybe for you too looking at the videos afterwards, and show where there's room for improvement in future. The thing is that you need to work at improving levels of skill with something as downright dangerous as a chainsaw, not just say clever things about flying by feel or doing your own thing when someone points out the mistakes in your approach.

Top marks for effort on all things WR, just being constructively critical about the dangers and the risks you're taking. I know it's a learning curve and you face into all of these with gusto, do doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

It's easy to sit back and put me down lads, but at the end of the day you cannot get the perfect results when you're in a remote area. I use what I can, the best I can and take risks where necessary. Cotton wool and 'safety' hold you back to the point where you get nothing done.

no not really, safety keeps people alive if you want to do stuff in a ridiculously dangerous way please don't video it unless you want to show people how not to do it

no not really, safety keeps people alive if you want to do stuff in a ridiculously dangerous way please don't video it unless you want to show people how not to do it

Safety keeps people in chains as happy slaves, reckless behavior gets up the opposite with the risk of injury.

I walk the line, most on here don't.

Safety keeps people in chains as happy slaves, reckless behavior gets up the opposite with the risk of injury.

I walk the line, most on here don't.

Talk about throwing a guy a line and then watching him tie it 'round his neck.

Here, Rambo, don't forget your ego on the way out.

What's Rambo about it?
    If that's how you pigeon hole someone doing their own thing then please be a happy slave by all means, and don't forget, this is my thread so out the door you go, don't forget your nuts on the way out ;)

The final word: I'm certainly not paying lots and lots of dollars to something when I could do it myself mostly safe instead of perfectly safe for a lot of $$$$.

• Advertisement

Here's some videos that show 'amazing' chainsaw skills:

I can't say I've been in their world of fail, despite what the naysayers may say here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Better a Darwin Award than a Sloth Award ;)

Words can't describe...

Words can't describe...
    Good grief, with the faint-hearts that have chimed in on this thread it's a wonder the Irish folk ever got on the boats during the famine!

Show some guts and support those who dare to leave the box of 'ultra safety.'

The way some of you go on with this faux-worry would imply I'm juggling with chainsaws while up a ladder and drinking a crate of whiskey in-between. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Is there any wonder there are increased accidents with chainsaws when you see the above videos, good god almighty they should not be given a blunt hand saw let alone a chainsaw.
    Its the people who watch these videos that think they are picking up good tips and tricks i feel sorry for. That last vidoe where the tree got hung up the other one where that idiot on a ladder with the chainsaw at height is beyond stupid.
    What amazes me continuously is that these clowns get away with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement