Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC/DC New album and Tour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Chris Evans said this morning that Angus and Brian will be on his show (BBC Radio 2 Breakfast Show) on Friday and there will be an announcement on tour dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭briany

Heads up - ex AC/DC drummer Chris Slade is on Chris Jericho's podcast today 'Talk is Jericho' to discuss his career, including his time with AC/DC. Chris Jericho mentions that he's heard from 'reliable sources' that Chris Slade is under consideration to rejoin the band as well, but obviously take that with a pinch. Also have this tidbit from the podcast - the three main drummers of AC/DC once posed together for a photo. Slade is a stylish dude. Hope he can come back to the band.

3bateriasacdc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

briany wrote: »
    This is a nice in depth analysis of the album. I judge AC/DC albums by the filler, not the singles, and I'd be of the opinion that the filler on RoB sounds unfinished, basically. A lot of people might say that AC/DC have a formulaic sound but at their best they can always find little twists on it to keep it interesting. Here, it's one riff, straight chords and a solo, like clockwork almost.

I don't agree that they sound like a different band after track 2, they still sound like AC/DC, but AC/DC a bit hard up for inspiration, basically. Rudd's drumming is dutiful and keeps the beat, but similarly it misses those little touches that really give life to a song. Knowing what we know now about his situation, you can't help but wonder was his mind 100 percent focused on the task at hand?

Also, it's always funny how taste varies for AC/DC because I think SUL is a little cracker of an album. I always felt it was their 'grooviest' album, too.
    Thanks for that.

On the 'lesser' albums, I've always been partial myself to the much maligned BUYV. FOTS is also underrated IMO, largely because of the poor production, and paling in comparison to BIB and even FTATR.

It's probably fair to say that AC/DC moved down a notch or two in quality from FOTS onwards, in terms of inconsistent production and more filler. I thnk there was also a decline caused by exhaustion leading to the nadir of FOTW. But for me they upped their game a decent notch for BUYV (good songs, a sense of fun, but thin production) and the very eventful Razor's Edge. After that, it's been albums at long intervals with filler outnumbering the better tracks.

In the battle of AC/DC's war songs, I'd give it to DoW.
    For me it's still 'This Means War' off BUYV. A nice variation on the 'Beating Around the Bush' theme.

Listening to ROB again. Brian's vocals are great. Brendan O'Brien knows how to get the best out of him, like he did on Black Ice. I'm also getting the SUV vibe some have picked up. And Stevie gets better with ever listen. Even if ROB is not a classic, there's really plenty of life in the old dog yet. You really have to take your hats off to these guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭Penfailed

It doesn't feature on this writers top ten 'DC albums -

http://www.gigsandfestivals.co.uk/blog/item/top-ten-ac-dc-albums

...which is fair enough IMHO.

Gigs '21 - Stendhal Festival (July), Stendhal Festival (August), [s]Liam Gallagher & Idles[/s], King Kong Company, Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, The Undertones, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '22 - And So I Watch You From Afar, Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai, Stendhal Festival, The Fratellis, Clutch, Kurt Vile & The Violators, Electric Picnic, Vantastival, The Cure, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '23 - Stiff Little Fingers, The Wood Burning Savages, Bob Log III, David Kitt, Ludovico Einaudi, DADDY LONG LEGS, The Prodigy, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, The Murder Capital, PJ Harvey, The Bonnevilles (w/Amy Montgomery, Rews, New Pagans), The Undertones (w/Buzzcocks), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

McDave wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

On the 'lesser' albums, I've always been partial myself to the much maligned BUYV. FOTS is also underrated IMO, largely because of the poor production, and paling in comparison to BIB and even FTATR.

It's probably fair to say that AC/DC moved down a notch or two in quality from FOTS onwards, in terms of inconsistent production and more filler. I thnk there was also a decline caused by exhaustion leading to the nadir of FOTW. But for me they upped their game a decent notch for BUYV (good songs, a sense of fun, but thin production) and the very eventful Razor's Edge. After that, it's been albums at long intervals with filler outnumbering the better tracks.

I never thought FOTS had 'poor' production. It sounded very raw, though, but I like raw. I think that raw is how AC/DC should sound. FOTW and BUYV both suffered under a layer of slapback reverb and sounded kind of processed at times. They suffered from a little bit of 80s disease, IMO.

Rudd's been arrested again. This time for dancing around outside a girls college. He's turning into the local nutter.

http://www.3news.co.nz/nznews/phil-rudd-back-in-police-custody-2014120411?ref=RLrotator

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

He's lost the plot completely, I dread to think what Malcolm would do to him if he was in full health, some way to piss all over the band's swansong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Kinda cool though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

ush wrote: »
    Kinda cool though.

If you're 12 maybe.

The fact he has to go around with a bodyguard tells me all I need to know about him. A twat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I was only 4 when Bon died but I'd imagine he was in the press quite a bit with his antics before then but since ive been a fan (Razor'e Edge time) the only time you'd read about ACDC in the press was to do with an album or a tour. Everything's low key, under the radar with them. It could be by accident but more probably by design.

This is why this whole Rudd thing is such a surprise and why I think he's hit his drum with them.

I was only 4 when Bon died but I'd imagine he was in the press quite a bit with his antics before then but since ive been a fan (Razor'e Edge time) the only time you'd read about ACDC in the press was to do with an album or a tour. Everything's low key, under the radar with them. It could be by accident but more probably by design.

This is why this whole Rudd thing is such a surprise and why I think he's hit his drum with them.

Rudd's previous antics and the whole Bon Scott era were pre-internet. They were anything but under the radar.

Rudd's previous antics and the whole Bon Scott era were pre-internet. They were anything but under the radar.

AC/DC as a band have never been under the radar but as people they have always been pretty private, particularly Angus, Malcolm and Cliff. Even Bon, when he was alive, didn't seek to air his dirty laundry in a public forum. He had a reputation as a drinker and a womanizer, but that was stuff he did, not stuff he sought to make public or seem bigger than him or the band.

AC/DC as a band have never been under the radar but as people they have always been pretty private, particularly Angus, Malcolm and Cliff. Even Bon, when he was alive, didn't seek to air his dirty laundry in a public forum. He had a reputation as a drinker and a womanizer, but that was stuff he did, not stuff he sought to make public or seem bigger than him or the band.

Bon didn't air his laundry in a public form? You've lost the run of yourself. Listen to the man's lyrics. No more public a forum that that.

Bon didn't air his laundry in a public form? You've lost the run of yourself. Listen to the man's lyrics. No more public a forum that that.

No, AC/DC is the show. As I said, AC/DC as a band can be over the top but even then Bon wasn't singing "My feud with Roger Daltrey" or "I shagged this bird in 1971, here's her name and address." He took things that happened to him and applied an artistic process (a melody, a turn of phrase, metaphor) and put in the context of a song. This is what the majority of successful songwriters/singers have done in their careers, especially in rock, so are they all a bunch of attention seekers for doing this?

No, AC/DC is the show.

Never implied that they weren't. Even with Rudd up on the current charges, the fans care more about the album and tour.
    As I said, AC/DC as a band can be over the top but even then Bon wasn't singing "My feud with Roger Daltrey" or "I shagged this bird in 1971, here's her name and address."

Well your second scenario is Whole Lotta Rosie. He sang her measurements. The location and date are well known.

He took things that happened to him and applied an artistic process (a melody, a turn of phrase, metaphor) and put in the context of a song. This is what the majority of successful songwriters/singers have done in their careers, especially in rock, so are they all a bunch of attention seekers for doing this?

Artistic process, melody, songwriters. You're losing the run of yourself. Drop the gushing prose. I never said he was, or that they, were "attention seekers". But Bon was pretty much as public as you could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

4 minutes of a 45min interview with Brian Johnson and Angus Young was broadcast on the Chris Evans Radio show this morning.

Other than confirming their plans to tour in 2015, they had no further details.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Yeah, bit of a waste of space that, I think Evans was probably expecting more, then told that he wouldn't be getting it/couldn't use it...

I never thought FOTS had 'poor' production. It sounded very raw, though, but I like raw. I think that raw is how AC/DC should sound. FOTW and BUYV both suffered under a layer of slapback reverb and sounded kind of processed at times. They suffered from a little bit of 80s disease, IMO.
    There are at least two aspects to the production, work on songs and work on sound. I think the band themselves admitted they didn't work enough on the songs, not having an external producer and that.

As to sound, IMO HTH was raw, but smooth. FOTS was raw in a coarse way, with poor sound and indistinct instruments. Anyway AC/DC don't have to be raw. Two of their very best albums have warm production - Powerage and BIB.

• Advertisement

Scott was a lyrical artist. He painted real, witty pictures of his life. He didn't dish dirt.

McDave wrote: »
    Scott was a lyrical artist. He painted real, witty pictures of his life. He didn't dish dirt.

Never said anything about "dishing dirt". Real and witty they may have been, but they also painted another tragic picture.

This isn't the first time that that erratic behaviour has touched someone in AC DC. Rudd has been psychotic before. Its just that nowadays it gets broadcast and uploaded.

Never said anything about "dishing dirt". Real and witty they may have been, but they also painted another tragic picture.

This isn't the first time that that erratic behaviour has touched someone in AC DC. Rudd has been psychotic before. Its just that nowadays it gets broadcast and uploaded.
    Dish dirt? Air laundry? TBH, I don't see much difference in intent.

Scott led a pretty dissolute lifestyle. But he had some kind of innate integrity, which came across in his witty lyrics, and knowing delivery.

'Before the internet' there were the redtop tabloids. Bad stuff got out that way. Despite that, Bon Scott's 'antics' were pretty much under the radar. Most people heard very little about his boozing etc. until after he died. Probably because it was mostly boozing and womanising. Nothing much to actually write home about.

What Rudd is doing now simply isn't comparable. Rudd is imploding before our eyes. Scott behaved nothing like that.

Never implied that they weren't. Even with Rudd up on the current charges, the fans care more about the album and tour.

Well your second scenario is Whole Lotta Rosie. He sang her measurements. The location and date are well known.

Artistic process, melody, songwriters. You're losing the run of yourself. Drop the gushing prose. I never said he was, or that they, were "attention seekers". But Bon was pretty much as public as you could be.
    Scott had his small time run ins with the law. He didn't pander to the redtops, or live a celebrity lifestyle. Considering his profession as a performer, he was very low key.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭fluke

Can we talk about the new album and general thoughts on it?

I haven't heard it yet but will be happy if it is up to the standard of the last two.

Names being spitballed on the AC/DC forum and somebody mentioned Dave Grohl. Not happening, I would say considering his schedule, but it brings up the idea of a 'name' drummer being added into the mix and who'd be suitable if one were brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭fluke

I really do not want Dave Grohl near that kit. No disrespect to you Briany, but he is a 'name' drummer, and probably the only one a lot of non muso heads would think of. Anyway he'll be busy with Chronic Highways.

Keep your man who has been in the two vids - Bob Richards. It'll prob be him. AC/DC don't really mess about with decision making.

fluke wrote: »
    I really do not want Dave Grohl near that kit. No disrespect to you Briany, but he is a 'name' drummer, and probably the only one a lot of non muso heads would think of. Anyway he'll be busy with Chronic Highways.

Keep your man who has been in the two vids - Bob Richards. It'll prob be him. AC/DC don't really mess about with decision making.

You'd be surprised. It's not often at all that they have to get in a new member, but when they do, it's a fairly exacting process. I think Slade said they had somewhere close to 100 drummers to look at back in '89, and although it seems easy, not just anyone can fit with AC/DC's sound.
    fluke wrote: »
    Can we talk about the new album and general thoughts on it?

I haven't heard it yet but will be happy if it is up to the standard of the last two.

General thoughts are so far - A solid slab of AC/DC, perhaps lacking somewhat those little touches that give real life to their musical formula.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ed Graham who used to drum for The Darkness and Stone Gods would be a good fit, but I remember reading a few years ago he had to have both hips replaced after he got some blood disorder, he left The Darkness recently, could be more health problems who knows.

If Grohl was available I think he'd be a good fit too, but there's not that many drummers that have the same feel as Rudd without him AC/DC won't be the same no matter how good the replacement is.

Advertisement