Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

does anybody put up ceiling decorations anymore

Options
  • 28-11-2014 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Do you put up celling decorations any more. Do you think the tree looks better without them

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I'm going the whole hog this year, ceiling decoration, window decoration, completely tacky and ott. Going up today /tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭shelly22

Sounds great didn't know if I was the only one,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Decorating an Amoeba is a little OTT alright.

We do put up ceiling decorations though..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭crasy dash

shelly22 wrote: »
    Sounds great didn't know if I was the only one,

Always have ceiling decorations same ones will be up in the mothers home from growing up
    .They look gas compared to the new modern things beside them

Wouldnt feel like xmas without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Gawd, that brings me back!

We grew up in a big house with high ceilings - and draped every ceiling with criss-crosses of two-tone home-made streamers of crepe paper, and shiny collapsable balls, and all sorts of other tack.

Twas brilliant!

Haven't seen anything like that in absolutely years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭crasy dash

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Gawd, that brings me back!

We grew up in a big house with high ceilings - and draped every ceiling with criss-crosses of two-tone home-made streamers of crepe paper, and shiny collapsable balls, and all sorts of other tack.

Twas brilliant!

Haven't seen anything like that in absolutely years.

Exactly the same as yourself remember standing on the sofa jumping up trying to pull them down as the years went by we got them down haha

Poor father and mother were never too impressed dragging the ladder out again

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

We used to when we had the plasterboard type stuff as the ceiling in our sitting room. That stopped when we redid the sitting room.

God, that is a memory alright. I can picture the decorations almost perfectly!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'll be doing it this year for the first time in a loooong time as I finally found the box of decorations I had as a teenager. The might look a bit poor in my livingroom though but they looked great in my bedroom back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I have fond memories of those shiny ceiling decorations, and my dad used to put up balloons too. (We were really classy like that!) I love a bit of tack at Christmas but I don't think I could bring myself to put up ceiling decorations. They're just a bit too much for me! Can you even get those shiny one any more?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

I put out garden decorations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

No tree for us this year.. we've two dogs (one only 8 months), and last year the older dog at the lights :( so this year I'm going to get clear wire/string and hang bobbles from the ceiling so they (hopefully) look like they're floating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

Of course they are

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

We never used to until last year I came home to find the house full of foil streamers, I wouldn't have put them up myself thinking they looked a bit tacky but they really added to the atmosphere. I can't find them anywhere this year though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,577 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Does anywhere sell them now? I'm going for +10% on last years decorations. Ceiling sounds like a good place to start.

:-D

Pound shops were great for the foil jobs this year, the garland one is a bit short, but there are bells and big foil baubles

• Registered Users Posts: 19,577 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Pound shops were great for the foil jobs this year, the garland one is a bit short, but there are bells and big foil baubles

Bells, eh? Yeah, that's the kind of thing i'm on about. And snowflakes.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Bells, eh? Yeah, that's the kind of thing i'm on about. And snowflakes.

All in understated shiny gold and red. (or possibly not)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

My nanny still puts up her ceiling decorations! I love them, they can definitely be a bit tack but that's all part of the charm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

crasy dash wrote: »

Wouldnt feel like xmas without them..........

...........falling down randomly throughout the evening :)

I launched a yearly campaign to keep ceiling decorations in the sitting room and tinsel on the tree when still living with the folks.. Failed.

Now that I have my own house, it's like I'm running a shelter for unwanted tinsel :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I just make my own. Roll of string and some dangly baubles, very easy.
    Absolutely hate those gaudy red/green/gold fold out ceiling decorations. I tend to stick to neutral colours, gold, silver, cream, grey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Hufflepuff

Dealz have loads of ceiling decorations . foil chains , paper snowflakes ,swirly dangly ones and paper chain kits :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Hufflepuff wrote: »
    Dealz have loads of ceiling decorations . foil chains , paper snowflakes ,swirly dangly ones and paper chain kits :-)

Ah crap i was in dealz today and never even thought of looking for ceiling decorations, we had our ceilings covered in all sorts of ****e growing up and it was great, ill have to go back and get some, the missus isnt so keen though, if it was up to me and the kids the place would look like the worlds tackiest grotto:D

Ah crap i was in dealz today and never even thought of looking for ceiling decorations, we had our ceilings covered in all sorts of ****e growing up and it was great, ill have to go back and get some, the missus isnt so keen though, if it was up to me and the kids the place would look like the worlds tackiest grotto:

Well if tacky grotto is your aim Dealz is the place , we bought a shed load in there the other day for work , tacky grotto is also our goal :-)

Ah crap i was in dealz today and never even thought of looking for ceiling decorations, we had our ceilings covered in all sorts of ****e growing up and it was great, ill have to go back and get some, the missus isnt so keen though, if it was up to me and the kids the place would look like the worlds tackiest grotto:

Well if tacky grotto is your aim Dealz is the place , we bought a shed load in there the other day for work , tacky grotto is also our goal :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Archeron

I remember those ceiling decorations and the tinsel had such a unique smell, I miss the days when you could smell Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

We always had the ceilings done in coloured foil chains and then bells that fold out like a concertina. Tack central, but brings back great memories. Not sure I'd go back down that route now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭encore1

I don't, but I'd forgotten that that was a thing and it made me laugh! I might do it this year so! Can't beat the 80's!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Always had them when I was a lad. The ex hated them so now I cover the house and find the kids love 'em as much as I did, especially when the main light is switched off and the tree lights are reflecting in the tinsel streamers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mountsky

Ceilings for sure,going all out this year,ceilings,doors the works,alllll good ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭shelly22

encore1 wrote: »
    I don't, but I'd forgotten that that was a thing and it made me laugh! I might do it this year so! Can't beat the 80's!

Ah you should, bring back the memories

Advertisement