Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Internship

• 26-11-2014 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Just wondering about people doing Internships in Waterford and your views?
    and im wondering becuase im under 25 would I get the 188 plus the 50 a week or would I still be on 100 euro a week and get another 50 euro would love to hear peoples thoughts and info on this topic
    Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Job ridge is a scam brought in by the troica to use free labour and massage the labour figures ...
    Though exception for a few of the positions for college graduates which although useful to them are only substuites for real jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Hoffmans wrote: »
    Job ridge is a scam brought in by the troica to use free labour and massage the labour figures ...
    Though exception for a few of the positions for college graduates which although useful to them are only substuites for real jobs

dont talk BS..... its not a scam, similiar schemes have been around for years, paying people low wages to get a bit of experience in a certain trade....
    free labour??? ha ha ha ha you owrk u get paid.... whats free about that

yes one or two companies abused it....

but it was very beneficial to many people.. it doesnt work for some people... but for a lot it does....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭somebaldyfela

robtri wrote: »
    dont talk BS..... its not a scam, similiar schemes have been around for years, paying people low wages to get a bit of experience in a certain trade....
    free labour??? ha ha ha ha you owrk u get paid.... whats free about that

yes one or two companies abused it....

but it was very beneficial to many people.. it doesnt work for some people... but for a lot it does....

Fine Gael man?!ah to be fair I done it and got a job out of it,Best advice is suss out the employer as much as possible,ask him have previous interns been taken on as employees when the internship ends etc..best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Hi guys,
    Just wondering about people doing Internships in Waterford and your views?
    and im wondering becuase im under 25 would I get the 188 plus the 50 a week or would I still be on 100 euro a week and get another 50 euro would love to hear peoples thoughts and info on this topic
    Cheers in advance

to actually answer your question:rolleyes:
    AFAIK you will still be on the e100 a week + 50

it is unconscionable to ask force someone to work a 40 hour week for those wages...unless there was a 100% chance of increased wages/genuine learning like an apprenticeship.....are you too old to start serving your time??

there surly some garage looking for some apprentice with the run in into a new year??

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

it is unconscionable to ask force someone to work a 40 hour week for those wages...unless there was a 100% chance of increased wages/genuine learning like an apprenticeship.....are you too old to start serving your time??
    ?

What year are you living in?

Low Paid Internships are part of 90% of 3rd level courses. Its far from "unconscionable " to pay a person who is of barely any value to a company a small wage to get the experience and get them on the ladder.

Also who are these people you do your time with? Oh are you referring to any tradesman who hasn't had a job since 2008?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Hoffmans wrote: »

we want real jobs bla, heard it all before and its too easy just to dismiss. we all know that job bridge has had some dodgy companies trying to take advantage but i have been on it, found it very good. I would say that most find it beneficial in the long run.
    I would seriously consider it if its related to an area you want to get into, in fact i would advise go for it, give it 6 months, see how it goes and you are in a 200% better position about getting the job you really want. Obviously, if you have kids or other stuff, thats part of the equation but a little sacrifice now can pay dividends later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

there are some good companies on job bridge and look what an intern would gain from a reputable organisation.
    experience, exposure, and a reference. plus, there's the whole 'getting out of the house and contributing to your community' thing that is so important too.

if you're on the 100 euro rate, i think it stays at that and add the 50 euro. (but check out citizens advice site - wealth of info).

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭TheFishingKid

Thanks for the help there is mixed views as I would of guessed. but I would jump on the internship bandwagon but its an implausible idea when needing to move out from home and have a vehicle at the same time to survive on 150 euro week but if I was brought up to 188 plus the 50 euro I would have a lot more wiggle room and feel more of an asset than being given the bare minimum. Its just a pity as Ive moved back from London in June hoping to secure a job and seriously thinking of moving back atm but I am kinda tied down here for now. But cheers for the replys :)

What year are you living in?

Low Paid Internships are part of 90% of 3rd level courses. Its far from "unconscionable " to pay a person who is of barely any value to a company a small wage to get the experience and get them on the ladder.

Also who are these people you do your time with? Oh are you referring to any tradesman who hasn't had a job since 2008?
    It is no way fair to expect someone to work for e3.50 an hour in this day and age....when I left school just after leaving cert the min amount that a crowd. Could pay for the trade I was doin was e167 and your man I worked for said he wouldn't expect anyone to work for that in this day and age...and also I've only been unemployed for short enough periods since 2008 without having to leave my trade...

IMO if this is the case about 3rd level courses....they would be better off training people through apprenticeships...what is point of third level people busting themselves and still crap paying at the other end...surly a type. Of apprentice scheme would be better for most office type jobs/business degree type jobs outta wit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

It is no way fair to expect someone to work for e3.50 an hour in this day and age....when I left school just after leaving cert the min amount that a crowd. Could pay for the trade I was doin was e167 and your man I worked for said he wouldn't expect anyone to work for that in this day and age...and also I've only been unemployed for short enough periods since 2008 without having to leave my trade...

IMO if this is the case about 3rd level courses....they would be better off training people through apprenticeships...what is point of third level people busting themselves and still crap paying at the other end...surly a type. Of apprentice scheme would be better for most office type jobs/business degree type jobs outta wit

Totally agree with you after completing a third level IT course in WIT what a complete waste of 3 years. I would have learned a hell of a lot more completing an apprenticeship not the rubbish that is being thought to students in the particular course that I completed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭deisechap09

You should definately go for jobridge if you cant get full time work. I done it myself in a reputable company and got a job with a different company during it, in my opinion due to the experience and workplace confidence I gained during the internship. I was on 150 aswell and it isnt much, but it can be managed. A key point to remember is you can take days for other interviews as part of your contract so dont be afraid to apply to jobs during it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Try pathways to work you can keep your social for 2 years and work too...

Totally agree with you after completing a third level IT course in WIT what a complete waste of 3 years. I would have learned a hell of a lot more completing an apprenticeship not the rubbish that is being thought to students in the particular course that I completed.

An apprenticeship in what exactly?

An apprenticeship in what exactly?

a lot of these business degrees are no good...you said as much yourself....if that is the case surly many business degree based jobs like banking/accounting/auctioneering etc should in this day and age be able to be structured something along the lines of apprenticeships??

have on the job training and have off the job learning so as to make sure the standred is correct..as that way experience and all as you go along and you only get three chances to pass exams

a lot of these business degrees are no good...you said as much yourself....if that is the case surly many business degree based jobs like banking/accounting/auctioneering etc should in this day and age be able to be structured something along the lines of apprenticeships??

have on the job training and have off the job learning so as to make sure the standred is correct..as that way experience and all as you go along and you only get three chances to pass exams

What you're suggesting is not feasible and makes no sense.

A business will not take on an Employee who has no qualification and is no use to the business and pay them probably 15k a year. It'll cost the business another probably 15k to have them around in expenses.

In a trade the apprentice is of some use to the business as he can do the donkey work that has to be done.

In an accountants office what use is someone who never balanced a book in their life?

What use is Musicman to a Software Development Company when he has 0 initiative to teach himself and blames the lecturers for his lack of initiative. As if he's ever gonna an asset to any business with that attitude.

And they are expecting to be paid for all this?

The apprenticeship system suits the Tradesmen but makes no sense at all in jobs where Employees are a liability for at least 4 years.

What you're suggesting is not feasible and makes no sense.

A business will not take on an Employee who has no qualification and is no use to the business and pay them probably 15k a year. It'll cost the business another probably 15k to have them around in expenses.

In a trade the apprentice is of some use to the business as he can do the donkey work that has to be done.

In an accountants office what use is someone who never balanced a book in their life?

What use is Musicman to a Software Development Company when he has 0 initiative to teach himself and blames the lecturers for his lack of initiative. As if he's ever gonna an asset to any business with that attitude.

And they are expecting to be paid for all this?

The apprenticeship system suits the Tradesmen but makes no sense at all in jobs where Employees are a liability for at least 4 years.

lol you really got to laugh at your smart comments on this thread. On word for you my friend troll .

Exactly Tom. In the UK this is proving a huge success they offer apprenticeships from IT even to Nursing with some class room based learning but mostly based on the job.

Advertisement