Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help With Accreditation

Options
  • 25-11-2014 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi everyone,

I am currently very confused and somewhat despairing in relation to the accreditation process. My education history is a BA in psychology and a MSc in applied psychology. I am looking to go for pre accredited membership with a relevant body. The course was a post grad diploma lasting 2years I though that this would be OK considering the 5years of study and experience I had previously but this doesn't seem to be the case. The course has 420hrs course contact hours I'll have 100hrs supervised practice 50hrs indv therapy and 25hrs supervision. Can anyone give me advise as to which body I can get accredited with without doing the 4 years. Any and all advice welcome. Thanks a mill!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Accreditation as what?
    What was the post grad diploma in?
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 glitterista

whooops sorry its a pgdip in psychotherapy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

I can't tell from your post whether you haven't started the PG diploma, are doing it at the moment, or are finished it. I will assume you are talking about when you are finished.

Most people tend to join either the IACP or one of the Irish Council for Psychotherapy organisations. If it is a humanistic or integrative therapy qualification then that usually means IAHIP in the ICP. Now IAHIP require the psychotherapy course to be 4 years.

The IACP have recently changed their rules regarding pre-accreditation. Now to be pre-accredited you have to have done a course which is an IACP accredited course. If your course is not on their list then you will have to go the route of getting affiliate membership (assuming you want to bother doing that).

But the rule about the accredited course does not apply to full membership of the IACP, so it wouldn't be a problem when applying later.

So you may not get to be a pre-accredited member of a reputable accrediting organisation right now. You have have to be an affiliate if you want some kind of connection to an organisation.

Of course you still have your PSI graduate membership if you want it which probably works for insurance purposes, even though as far as the PSI are concerned you might as well have done a 2 year PG diploma to train as a clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

hotspur wrote: »
    I can't tell from your post whether you haven't started the PG diploma, are doing it at the moment, or are finished it. I will assume you are talking about when you are finished.

Most people tend to join either the IACP or one of the Irish Council for Psychotherapy organisations. If it is a humanistic or integrative therapy qualification then that usually means IAHIP in the ICP. Now IAHIP require the psychotherapy course to be 4 years.

The IACP have recently changed their rules regarding pre-accreditation. Now to be pre-accredited you have to have done a course which is an IACP accredited course. If your course is not on their list then you will have to go the route of getting affiliate membership (assuming you want to bother doing that).

But the rule about the accredited course does not apply to full membership of the IACP, so it wouldn't be a problem when applying later.

So you may not get to be a pre-accredited member of a reputable accrediting organisation right now. You have have to be an affiliate if you want some kind of connection to an organisation.

Of course you still have your PSI graduate membership if you want it which probably works for insurance purposes, even though as far as the PSI are concerned you might as well have done a 2 year PG diploma to train as a clown.

It's all about been part of the circus:)

hotspur wrote: »

thanks for that Hotspur I am in year 2 of the pgdip and have a few months left to finish up. The course I am on passes all the criteria in relation to 2 years in length and all hours bar the course contact hrs which are 30 hrs short of the 450 which is a pain!! As it stands it seems the only plafe I can get pre accredited membership is with the APCP? It just seems like a bit of a money racket if you ask me! What are my options when I finish the 2 years in terms of full accered and regulation it seems very up in the air and particularly confusing!!

• Advertisement

This might be useful reading. Personally, I would only join an organisation that is part of a larger umbrella body, and with European affiliation.

To be honest it wasnt really useful reading but thank you for your input. It just seems that no one is able to give me a straight answer in relation to accreditation and in future proofing the 7 yrs of study I have undertaken? Im really looking for some advice as to if there are any other options instead of the iacp because as it stands they will not give me pre accredited membership which is ridiculous considering the qualifications and experience I have attained and that they may well accept me for full accreditation! Could someone please give me some clear advice. thank you in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

To be honest it wasnt really useful reading but thank you for your input. It just seems that no one is able to give me a straight answer in relation to accreditation and in future proofing the 7 yrs of study I have undertaken? Im really looking for some advice as to if there are any other options instead of the iacp because as it stands they will not give me pre accredited membership which is ridiculous considering the qualifications and experience I have attained and that they may well accept me for full accreditation! Could someone please give me some clear advice. thank you in advance

With respect, whether or not you would be eligible for accreditation with any of the relevant organisations is something you should have considered before you reached the late stages of your '7 years of study'. You find yourself in a grey area of your own making. Check with the accrediting bodies websites. They will list the courses that make you eligible to apply for membership. Your most recent course is two years. When you were selecting which, of the several, you would apply for, did the need for accreditation post-qualification not occur to you?

endacl wrote: »
    With respect, whether or not you would be eligible for accreditation with any of the relevant organisations is something you should have considered before you reached the late stages of your '7 years of study'. You find yourself in a grey area of your own making. Check with the accrediting bodies websites. They will list the courses that make you eligible to apply for membership. Your most recent course is two years. When you were selecting which, of the several, you would apply for, did the need for accreditation post-qualification not occur to you?

yes of coarse it did. I meet the criteria for full accreditation but not pre accreditation with the iacp. Rather than be insulting constructive advice would be most helpful.

endacl wrote: »

yes of coarse it did. I meet the criteria for full accreditation but not pre accreditation with the iacp. Rather than be insulting constructive advice would be most helpful.

• Advertisement

Then why not apply for full accrediation? I don't understand. And why not talk directly to the organisation involved, rather than here where some of us are familiar with the accreditation requirements of that organisation but some of us aren't? Have you tried ringing them up and talking directly to them? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

NAPCP would take you Id say

Then why not apply for full accrediation? I don't understand. And why not talk directly to the organisation involved, rather than here where some of us are familiar with the accreditation requirements of that organisation but some of us aren't? Have you tried ringing them up and talking directly to them? :confused:

I have been in touch with iacp and they have told me that they cannot give me any assurances until I send them my application. I have to work towards my 450 client hours over the mimimum of 2 years. So until then I csnt get an infinitive answer. I just thought people might share their experiences of the process. And guide me in the right or an alternative direction that I do not know of.

Advertisement