Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it possible to reserve a certain reg number?

• 26-11-2014 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,803 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was wondering about this, and its cost, after seeing a Saab 95 with a reg 08-xx-95.

Now either that person was incredibly lucky or else they managed to reserve/pay extra for that number?

Is there a market for moving buying/selling numbers in Ireland as in the UK. I know our reg system doesn't allow you to spell out names and the like, but I am sure if you had 12-D-9999 or 12-D-12 you might find a buyer for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

My information may not be up to date, but I think it is possible to reserve a number. So, if you are buying a car next year you could reserve 152-D-X where X is the number of your choice. I think you can only register your car after the normal sequence has passed your reserved number (i.e. if you reserve 1000 you can't register until 999 has been assigned) and you can't then transfer that number to a different car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

NIMAN wrote: »
    Was wondering about this, and its cost, after seeing a Saab 95 with a reg 08-xx-95.

Now either that person was incredibly lucky or else they managed to reserve/pay extra for that number?

Is there a market for moving buying/selling numbers in Ireland as in the UK. I know our reg system doesn't allow you to spell out names and the like, but I am sure if you had 12-D-9999 or 12-D-12 you might find a buyer for it.
    you can reserve a number plate when you are registering the car.
    Most 911's I've seen around have 911 in the number plate somewhere.
    You can't sell on a number plate though, so the number plate assigned to car is there to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭vandriver

There used to be loads of cars with a relevant number,because iirc the fee used to be around €200.The government then put that up to a grand and effectively killed the practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,803 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks folks.

€1k to reserve a number!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

what happens if 2 people want same number?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

First come first served

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It used to be around €300 afaik, then the geniuses that run the country decided to up it to €1k a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Knife_fight_1024x700.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Seriously?

It's not impossible that two people might want 911 after buying one but ya unlikely. When I win the euro millions it will be a new S8 with 58 on the number plate..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

While I don't think it should be free setting it at €1,000 is completely stupid. They're missing out on loads of revenue that people might pay for marginally interesting or relevant numbers. They should have an auction system whereby you can bid off against each other. Let lads pay big money for 911, but others might just want 525 or 1111.

My favourite numberplate of this ilk is the Lexus LS that somebody registered in Laois as number 430.

I've also seen a fellow with a V8 Triumph on a ZV plate including the number 8 re-spaced so it reads something like "Z V8 123"

There's select number of car nerds out there to appreciate that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Truckermal wrote: »
    It's not impossible that two people might want 911 after buying one but ya unlikely. When I win the euro millions it will be a new S8 with 58 on the number plate..

I think he meant 'are you seriously asking that question! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Big Nasty wrote: »
    I think he meant 'are you seriously asking that question! :D

it should mention in the guidelines what happen? do you lose your grand (which you do if you dont want it after paying)

it should mention in the guidelines what happen? do you lose your grand (which you do if you dont want it after paying)

Yeah, OK, fair point.

I'd assume the application is returned with the fee, but can't rule out 100% them giving you the next number. 912 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Yeah, OK, fair point.

I'd assume the application is returned with the fee, but can't rule out 100% them giving you the next number. 912

Now that would be funny, on your new GT3:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

isn't it JJ Kavanaghs buses that usually reserve all the "1" number plates because his buses are number one on the road?

havn't encountered one in ages, but years ago you'd see them with all the sequences of 1 booked out like x-x-1, x-x-11, x-x-111, x-x-1111 etc. maybe it was the upping the price that made them think twice?

two years ago ms. fanbois parents didn't reserve or pay for it and accidentally got x-x-1 in our county, was pretty cool.

hi5 wrote: »
    Now that would be funny, on your new GT3:D

It could spell COCK P155 and I wouldn't be bothered. I have a new GT3, and you don't. :P :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Truckermal wrote: »
    ...When I win the euro millions it will be a new S8 with 58 on the number plate..

I know one of the owners of Manhattan Popcorn has this one on a white S8. They sponsored the cannonball run this year and had it all sticker ed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

OSI wrote: »
    Wonder what the highest number you can reserve is. Would love 911673

Well given that you can't register a car with a reserved number until the normal sequence has reached that number, you could be waiting years until enough people have imported cars from that year before you can actually register and use your new car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭kdevitt

You can only do it for new registrations now - they've stopped allowing people do it for used imports by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Personalized plates are a very nice money earner for the DVLA in the UK. Revenue could have been onto a nice little earner here if they had a similar setup and kept the price reasonable. It would be kinda nice to have a personalized plate here that you can transfer over every time you change cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭ofcork

There was/is a few around cork 04 C 55 an SL55 AMG and a clk 200 with a 65 amg badge regged as 07 C 65,some of the plates in the uk have gone for 250k!

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I had 05 D 10555 on my CLK 55 AMG thought it was a great reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

OSI wrote: »
    Wonder what the highest number you can reserve is. Would love 911673

08C673 has been done. ....Red GT3 in Cork. ...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

kdevitt wrote: »
    You can only do it for new registrations now - they've stopped allowing people do it for used imports by all accounts.

Nope. If the number is available you can have it.

I know someone who got a 911 plate with no charge as for some reason it had never been claimed. ..on an import.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

I know it’s an old thread but was trying to find this answer out.

if it’s first come first served, how does one try to be the first to submit the application, Do 911 owners queue outside revenue;)

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

2-300 quid loads of people would do and would expect to turn a profit, 1k nobody will bother

I expect some person was doing loads of them and complained and the answer was to try charge them for 1 person salary plus a profit, hence the 1k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

• Advertisement

• Pretty sure it creates a paradox and the universe ends.

Yeah, I imagine the UK equivalent makes good money on their system. But, our reg system is so regimented, anything personalised would stand out a mile.

Advertisement