Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow in America

• 21-11-2014 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

Did anyone else notice the reaction of the folk to the heavy snow . They were out shovelling and up clearing roofs etc.Massive clearance operation on the roads despite of ongoing heavy snowfall. Maybe they are well used to snow but I was impressed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tc556guy

It's Buffalo and yes, they are used to some freak-ishly heavy snowfall there.
    It's a pretty localized effect from what I've heard, which is one reason NY State has been able to free up hundreds of personnel and pieces of heavy equipment to send to the Buffalo area to address the problem. Temps are supposed to go up this weekend, which will only worsen the snow load problem when the snow gets heavy with water, and the inevitable flooding

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

fastrac wrote: »
    Did anyone else notice the reaction of the folk to the heavy snow . They were out shovelling and up clearing roofs etc.Massive clearance operation on the roads despite of ongoing heavy snowfall. Maybe they are well used to snow but I was impressed.

They had six people die from shovelling snow and I think one from using a snow blower.

Even Buffalo couldn't handle the amount that fell in the limited area as they had to bring in extra heavy equipment, and all they where doing was pushing it into mounds on the footpaths, while people a few blocks away where brushing leaves from their gardens. They had to close down parts of the county as it was too dangerous to go out and there where people trapped on the interstate for over 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Del2005 wrote: »
    there where people trapped on the interstate for over 24 hours.
    this is the reason I dont let the fuel tank go below half way in winter and have plenty of warm food, drinks and clothes in the boot! I know we won't gwt it that bad but there was a lot of people stranded on the m50 a few yeats ago when wr got hot with the bad snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

fastrac wrote: »

That's what you have to do, you can't just wait till it's finished. Buffalo is an extreme example, but anywhere in New England people will be out shoveling before work, after work, on and off all day if at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭NSAman

Buffalo suffers Lake effect snow same as parts of Michigan and Illinois. It is also the law that you have to shovel your sidewalk. Having said that, the city clears the streets all the time. Snow is carted away to snow dumps and things carry on as normal. Personally, I have the driveway plowed and salted once you get two inches of snow. Everything works as normal.

While the snow in Buffalo was incredible, it was a localised bank of Lake Effect snow that caused this. Snow is part and parcel of living in the States they are used to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement