Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids movies that don't question Santa????

• 24-11-2014 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭

hi christmas forum!

I love Christmas and really foster the Christmas fun in my family. I love Christmas movies and tv specials, I'd have them on as often as I could!

The thing is I've two kids under 10 and most of the Christmas movies I've seen / can remember are either grown up ("Scrooged", Die Hard) or refer (even in passing) to the truth of Santa Claus.

And I don't want to have that question raised yet in our house.

So can you guys help me out please? If you know of movies for familes with young kids that don't even refer at all to the validity of Santa can you list them?

Even one of my Christmas favourites - "Miracle on 34th Street" - repeatedly mentions this topic, so that's out. And so does "Elf".

The only one I can think of is Barbie and the Nutcracker, but I'd love to put some more options into the mix.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Muppets Christmas Carol. Hands down the best Christmas movie, and no mention of Santa Claus!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Muppets Christmas Carol. Hands down the best Christmas movie, and no mention of Santa Claus!

Thanks I'll try to find that. No sky movies unfortunately!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Home alone?

The Santa issue might not be too much of an issue though, most kids I've met try to con their parents into thinking they still believe until they're about 13 for fear that the Santa stream of presents will dry up if the truth is out there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Grinch? I know he dresses up as Santa but can't remember much more than that. Winnie the Pooh and Chrsitmas too - Pooh dresses as santa too.

One of my faves - Beauty and the Beast Enchanted Christmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Also this Nutcracker adaptation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKySM1ie2aM

Used to watch it every Christmas <3

The Rudolph movie!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolph_the_Red-Nosed_Reindeer:_The_Movie

Silent Night movie
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buster_%26_Chauncey%27s_Silent_Night

Have fond memories of all of those in my childhood :)

Also don't forget The Snowman - classic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Kaylami

Arthur Christmas is a very good one as well I think I enjoyed it more than my 5 year old!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Arthur Christmas questions Santa in same way elf does though.

Love both films but usually chat quite loudly when elf is discussing it with Santa by the sleigh.

Santa Buddies is one that I don't think questions anything. Not a great film for older kids, but mine liked it when they were younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Thanks I'll try to find that. No sky movies unfortunately!

I think it's on Netflix, and it's a very easy to find DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Polar express?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

_Brian wrote: »
    Polar express?

The entire movie is based on a child losing his faith in Santa Claus. Sure it has a good ending but could easily lead to many questions.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    The entire movie is based on a child losing his faith in Santa Claus. Sure it has a good ending but could easily lead to many questions.

And that's the problem - lots of Christmas movies are about that topic. I'm sure it's lovely for older kids but maybe not by under 10s.

Some good ones suggested - thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Oh and if kids like Santa Buddies, they should enjoy Santa Buddies 2, which is more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Loughc wrote: »
    Oh, kinda the opposite of what OP wanted so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

When I was younger, I'd pick up on the tone but because the ending always resulted in Santa being real, I'd just feel more like "I KNEW Santa was real!"

Movies like The Santa Claus are kinda good like that, because ultimately Santa is real and everything's right with the world :D

But yeah it's definitely easier to just avoid it altogether if possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

ugh, i hate it when this happens in the xmas movies, i usually go like a ham and stare hard at the telly :P but seriously, my daughter has watched all of the movies that question santa, she has brought the subject up before, i just reassured her and on she went with life. i wouldn't deny myself or her of really great movies because of this, just enjoy them and if they bring it up all you can do is reassure them he is real and they're usually happy enough!
    they want him to be real, so they will accept what you say :)

is Elf suitable for kids?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

is Elf suitable for kids?

I think so! :-) great film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

what about the snowman?

Advertisement