Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas RTE Guide & Schedule Talk 2014

• 23-11-2014 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

When is the Christmas RTE guide out?

Does anyone know when the Christmas RTE guide will be out?

Thanks for your help

MOD EDIT: As expected this thread has moved on from the original question to discussing schedules, so thread title has been changed to reflect as such.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭touts

playcold wrote: »

Thanks for your help

It'll start on the 20th this year and it is usually out about two weeks before so I'd say around the 6th-8th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

I think it will be out on the 20th.

I think its out on the 20th.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭AG123

Thanks for your help

The last few years, it has been out on a Monday about two and a half weeks before Christmas Day. That would be the 8th this year if it's the same? Can't wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

Thanks for your help

In recent times I think it has been on sale just before christmas :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭mikedublin

One of my favourite Christmas time traditions is getting the Guide as soon as it comes out and then sitting down and going through it with a highlighter marking out all my favourite movies and shows.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

mikedublin wrote: »
    One of my favourite Christmas time traditions is getting the Guide as soon as it comes out and then sitting down and going through it with a highlighter marking out all my favourite movies and shows.

I used to do that every year, now a days I find myself getting it just to do the festive crosswords haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

We've always bought it and put it on the side table as part of the decorations :)

Might actually read it this year as we won't be doing our annual cross country trip, so should be a bit more relaxation time

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭KJohnson7780

I can't wait either, i used to collect the Xmas issues years ago, wish i still had them. I wonder would they be worth anything

http://digiguide.tv is starting to fill in details of the Christmas period. They normally go out about a month but I have noticed in the past they are always late filling in Christmas as stations wait to announce their lineup.

That said at the moment they have RTE1 more or less filled in for Christmas day although the evening movie slot is missing and I doubt they will be repeating midnight mass again on Christmas day at 11pm. That's more likely to be a movie. So a few corrections are to come. Either way it's a good site to keep an eye on until the RTE guide comes out. It costs ~€4 subscription for the year and I've taken it out at this time for the past couple of years specifically for the Christmas TV (although I do check it every now and then during the year).

RTE1 Thur December 25th:
    7:55am Mystery Diagnosis
    8:50am It's a wonderful Life (Film)
    11:15am School around the Corner
    12:15pm Rachel Allen: All Things Sweet
    12:45pm Telly Bingo
    1:00pm RTÉ News
    1:10pm EastEnders
    1:45pm Stardust (Film)
    3:45pm Raiders of the Lost Ark (Film)
    5:45pm Nuacht
    6:00pm The Angelus
    6:01pm RTÉ News
    6:15pm Christmas Carols
    7:20pm Kitchen Hero Christmas Special
    7:50pm Fair City
    8:20pm RTÉ News
    8:30pm To be Announced (Film)
    11:00pm Midnight Mass
    12:35am Presumed Innocent (Film)
    2:40am At your service

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭omicron

touts wrote: »
    http://digiguide.tv is starting to fill in details of the Christmas period. They normally go out about a month but I have noticed in the past they are always late filling in Christmas as stations wait to announce their lineup.

That said at the moment they have RTE1 more or less filled in for Christmas day although the evening movie slot is missing and I doubt they will be repeating midnight mass again on Christmas day at 11pm. That's more likely to be a movie. So a few corrections are to come. Either way it's a good site to keep an eye on until the RTE guide comes out. It costs ~€4 subscription for the year and I've taken it out at this time for the past couple of years specifically for the Christmas TV (although I do check it every now and then during the year).

RTE1 Thur December 25th:
    7:55am Mystery Diagnosis
    8:50am It's a wonderful Life (Film)
    11:15am School around the Corner
    12:15pm Rachel Allen: All Things Sweet
    12:45pm Telly Bingo
    1:00pm RTÉ News
    1:10pm EastEnders
    1:45pm Stardust (Film)
    3:45pm Raiders of the Lost Ark (Film)
    5:45pm Nuacht
    6:15pm Christmas Carols
    7:20pm Kitchen Hero Christmas Special
    7:50pm Fair City
    8:20pm RTÉ News
    8:30pm To be Announced (Film)
    11:00pm Midnight Mass
    12:35am Presumed Innocent (Film)
    2:40am At your service

That looks a lot more like the normal Christmas eve line up? The carols after the news, no Urbi et Orbi or morning mass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

omicron wrote: »
    That looks a lot more like the normal Christmas eve line up? The carols after the news, no Urbi et Orbi or morning mass.
    Yeah looks that way,Raiders of the lost ark as christmas day movie is doubtful & cooking program on christmas day is a bit pointless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Nothing says Christmas like telly bingo :(

omicron wrote: »

Yea it looks like they are a day out. This is what they have up today for the 26th and it looks a lot more like Christmas Day.

RTE1
    5:25am Euronews
    7:05am Christmas Carols
    8:05am Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (Film)
    10:00am Christmas Day Service
    10:45am Urbi et Orbi
    11:10am Mass on Christmas Day
    12:10pm The Archbishops' Christmas Message
    12:30pm Fair City
    12:55pm Despicable Me (Film)
    2:25pm To Be Announced
    4:20pm To Be Announced
    6:10pm Fair City
    7:05pm The Zoo
    8:00pm RTÉ News
    8:10pm EastEnders
    9:10pm To be Announced
    9:45pm To be Announced
    12:15am Miss Congeniality (Film)
    2:00am Fatal Attraction (Film)
    3:55am Euronews

So lots of gaps etc and no RTE2 yet but that won't stop me checking their site every day until the RTE guide comes out. :)

Other ones that they have

BBC1 (Christmas Day)
    6:00am Breakfast
    9:00am To be Announced
    10:00am Christmas Morning Live
    11:00am To be Announced
    1:45pm BBC News
    2:00pm Top of the Pops
    3:00pm The Queen's Speech
    3:10pm Film To be Announced
    4:45pm BBC News
    5:00pm Strictly Come Dancing
    6:15pm Doctor Who
    7:15pm Call the Midwife
    8:30pm EastEnders
    9:00pm Miranda
    9:35pm EastEnders
    10:05pm Mrs. Brown's Boys
    10:40pm The Michael McIntyre Christmassy Christmas Show
    11:40pm BBC News
    11:50pm Weather
    11:55pm On Christmas Night
    12:00am To be Announced
    1:15am FilmTo be Announced
    3:00am Skiing Weatherview
    3:05am BBC News

BBC2 (Christmas Day)
    2:35am This is BBC Two
    6:05am Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas (Film)
    7:20am Short Circuit (Film)
    8:50am Pollyanna (Film)
    11:00am Carols from Kings
    12:15pm The Many Faces of Les Dawson
    1:15pm The Choir: New Military Wives
    2:15pm Kiss Me, Kate Prom
    5:00pm 60 Years of Carols at Kings
    6:00pm To be Announced
    7:00pm The Two Ronnies
    7:45pm To be Announced
    8:30pm Celebrity Christmas University Challenge 2014 Specials
    9:00pm To be Announced
    10:20pm To be Announced
    11:50pm To be Announced
    2:05am This is BBC Two

TV3 (what looks like Christmas eve)
    6:10am Coronation Street
    6:35am Coming Home for Christmas
    7:30am The Christmas Toy Show
    9:00am White Christmas (Film)
    11:25am Martin King's Christmas Helpers
    11:55am Stuart Little 3: Call of the Wild (Film)
    1:20pm Ireland's Christmas Wishes
    2:25pm Emmerdale
    3:00pm Coronation Street
    3:35pm To be Announced (Film)
    4:50pm To be Announced (Film)
    7:00pm To be Announced
    7:30pm To be Announced
    8:00pm To be Announced
    8:30pm To be Announced
    9:00pm To be Announced (Film)
    11:50pm To be Announced (Film)
    2:05am Infomercial

TV3 (What looks Like Christmas Day)
    6:05am Those Were the Days 1984
    7:05am Ireland's Favourite Christmas Toys
    7:40am Coronation Street
    8:10am Coronation Street
    8:40am Ireland's Animal A and E Christmas Special
    9:40am How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Film)
    11:45am Open Season 3 (Film)
    1:15pm Garfield 2: A Tail of Two Kitties (Film)
    2:50pm Emmerdale
    3:25pm Emmerdale
    3:55pm Coronation Street
    4:30pm Coronation Street
    5:00pm To be announced (film)
    7:00pm Emmerdale
    7:30pm Coronation Street
    8:00pm Best of Xposé 2014
    8:30pm Coronation Street
    9:00pm To be Announced (Film)
    11:05pm The Graham Norton Show
    12:05am Broadchurch
    1:05am The Jeremy Kyle Show
    2:05am Spartacus: War of the Damned
    3:05am Infomercial

Holy crap they are awful line ups,movies are muck,dvd's netflixs or xbox on christmas night it is :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

RTÉ launched it's Christmas TV schedule yesterday and it makes for terrible reading!

http://www.rte.ie/tv/christmas/

It seems this year I will be buying the RTÉ guide just for the crossword and not to circle any potential TV gems!

EDIT: Also the amount of errors on the link above is actually appaulling. A prize for the first one to spot 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭omicron

Loughc wrote: »
    RTÉ launched it's Christmas TV schedule yesterday and it makes for terrible reading!

It seems this year I will be buying the RTÉ guide just for the crossword and not to circle any potential TV gems!

EDIT: Also the amount of errors on the link above is actually appaulling. A prize for the first one to spot 5!

Well the description of Happy Feet rings a bell!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Seriously? I think there are good few films on to be fair. I don't think it's that bad!

leahyl wrote: »
    Seriously? I think there are good few films on to be fair. I don't think it's that bad!

Yea the films are good but I've seen them all so it's hard to get exicited about them. It's the entertainment shows and Documentaries I'm most disappointed with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Yea the films are good but I've seen them all so it's hard to get exicited about them. It's the entertainment shows and Documentaries I'm most disappointed with.

Yeah I haven't seen them so that's probably why I don't think it's that bad - but like people usually complain every year anyway! Some people probably love the line up while others are like 'meh'

I think you have to wait to see what BBC, ITV etc have on offer. Individually station line ups are pretty poor. Put them all together and there is generally a few things to pass the time.

Any sign of the Guide in any shops yet?

• Advertisement

I've a feeling it won't go on sale until the 12th.

Like "Daithi O'Shea, Sinead Kennedy and Will Leahy countdown the final moments of 2013"
    You sure it's not actually last years

delw wrote: »
    Like "Daithi O'Shea, Sinead Kennedy and Will Leahy countdown the final moments of 2013"

I assume it was a lazy copy and paste job, RTE tweeted the link out yesterday as the launch of the Christmas TV schedule.

delw wrote: »

It's last years press release. The Mrs Brown's boys shows that seem to be the headline event are last years shows. Gay Byrne interviewed Phil Coulter last year "for one night only" so that's a repeat. As is the Dermot Morgan special. 2013 is mentioned several times. The Rabodirect Pro12 doesn't exist any more.

Now I'd expect most of those shows to be on at some point in the schedule as they try to get value for money from last year's investment but that looks like they reactivated the page in advance of this year's announcements but they left up last year's press release

Phew, with a bit of luck the actual schedule will be better this year! Fingers crossed!

www.rte.ie/ten/news/2014/1202/664177-rte-tv-unveils-its-christmas-and-new-year-highligh/

Preview of the RTÉ Christmas Schedule 2014 this time! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 27,781 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Any updates?

Also, if anyone sees ads for other Christmas TV guides (e.g. if the Sunday Times has an XMAS TV Guide in it) please post alerts here. Thanks.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Any updates?

Also, if anyone sees ads for other Christmas TV guides (e.g. if the Sunday Times has an XMAS TV Guide in it) please post alerts here. Thanks.

The Sunday Mirror has a free XMas TV guide yesterday it had alot of TBCs. Better off waiting another week or so for the official ones to hit the shelves.

It's out! Walked into my local shop after work and it was sitting on the counter beside the till.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

What date is it out ?
    Only but it once a year, and I love circling my films.

Advertisement