Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas dinner in hotels

Options
  • 05-11-2014 12:02pm

Just wondering if any of you have gone to any hotels on Xmas day for the dinner?

What was it like? Is the food as good as my mams??ðŸ˜

Also, I'm specifically looking at Dublin, if anyone has any idea of prices etc?

Comments

No?
    No one with any experience of going out Christmas day?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I know it's a big thing in England, but I've never heard of anything like this in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭notabasicb

I'm going to a hotel this year! Quite looking forward to it as it will be something new!

The Shelbourne and Merrion hotel only serve christmas dinner to those staying in the hotel on the 25th but all other hotels I checked were open to public on Christmas day for dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Newtown90

My other half went away with her family a few years back.

Lets just say Xmas isn't just the same when you're not at home.

Probably different for just dinner though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Myself and the OH went away to a hotel last year, mainly because I was 8 months pregnant so it would be our last xmas with just the 2 of us and there was no way I would be in any fit state to cook. We booked into a hotel for 2 nights, arriving on the xmas eve and checking out on st stephens day. I must say, it was a different experience but we both thoroughly enjoyed it. As far as the dinner went, it was a mass catering affair with around 150 people all herded into a big function room. It was served late enough, the plan was to be seated at 7pm but there was a delay and everyone was left standing outside the room for about half an hour waiting. There was an option to also have xmas lunch earlier in the day but they were charging a ridiculous price for it on top of the 2 nights with dinner package that we had booked so we just stacked up on munchies instead :D The food was alright, nothing overly special like you would normally expect from a restaurant but they put on a good spread, turkey and ham with all the trimmings etc. It was similar to the sort of meal you would get at any large xmas function. The only hitch was the hotel messed up a number of dinner reservations, ours included, even though I had originally booked the deal in July and had been ridiculously anal about confirming the details 4 or 5 times with them in the interim. This meant that we had an extra delay and were sent up to the bar for a free drink (just a fanta for me :o) until they could prepare a table for us. It was inconvenient but to be fair, I complained afterwards to the hotel manager and he was very apologetic and dealt with the situation brilliantly. So that was our experience :D If you are just planning on going out for the meal and not staying overnight, I'm not sure if it would be worth the hassle. The food won't be anything spectacular and the sense of intimacy is gone from the meal as you are totally surrounded by strangers but I reckon if you have a good enough group with you, it wouldn't be so bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

Did it once many years ago. We didn't really enjoy it and just wanted to get home to play with toys and head out to mates. I found it to be the same as going out for a meal on any other special day like mother day etc. just felt bad for the people working.
    It also meant there were no left overs for sambos, but no one spent hours getting the dinner ready or cleaning up

Wouldn't fancy it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

Went away for Christmas years ago and it just isn't the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

My family were thinking of doing it this year, but it's €109 for adults and €39 for kids. So that was the end of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

If your going to consider something like this, why not just head away to a foreign country, feck a hotel with a buffet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

bubblypop wrote: »
    Just wondering if any of you have gone to any hotels on Xmas day for the dinner?

What was it like? Is the food as good as my mams??ðŸ˜

Also, I'm specifically looking at Dublin, if anyone has any idea of prices etc?

Did this with my parents in 2000 and with my girlfriend and her family added on in 2001. It was a local hotel that opened at midday and closed at 7pm. As a kid my family had spent a fews days in a hotel for Christmas and we didn't have great memories of it. But the one day only approach was fabulous and we thoroughly enjoyed both times. Mulled wine on arrival or straight to the bar for a real pint! Dinner called at 2pm. Wrapped by 5pm and then back into the bar until 7pm. Even Santa paid us a visit! The same hotel stopped doing it in subsequent years as they couldn't make it pay.

• Advertisement
Advertisement