Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Know your elves - #13 Liamo22

Options
  • 21-11-2014 8:29am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Happy Friday one and all! Here we go again, November is fast drawing to a close!! Toy show next week!! Let's get this going!

Liamo22,

1) what's your favourite Christmas movie?
    2) favourite part about Christmas dinner?
    3) are you a toy show fan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

Hi Liamo22
    Any particular christmas traditions in your house?
    Do you ever open a present on Christmas eve?
    You could only have one thing this year, christmas music or christmas film, which would it be?
    are you all about the sweet or savoury christmas stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭liamo22

Hello everyone :)

1) what's your favourite Christmas movie?
    2) favourite part about Christmas dinner?
    3) are you a toy show fan?

1. My favourite christmas movie has to be Home Alone. I have grown up with this film and it is one that I must watch every single year without fail. Home Alone 2 is just as good too. I love Brenda Frickers pigeon lady charecter. But I'm also partial to all the abc family and Hallmark 'awful' Christmas Movies. Give me some snow, and a predictable plot and I'm happy :)

2. My favourite part of Christmas dinner is the food. I eat christmas dinner in my aunts house with about 20 members of family. So there is a lot of food and a lot of variety. So I like having a little bit of everything, and of course drinking :D

3. I am a toy show fan. Now don't get me wrong if I don't see it live I'm not going to watch it online or anything. I think the best bit about watching the toy show is knowing that you are watching it will millions of other people. I was fortunate enough to be in the audience once year, it was great fun and the amount of stuff we left with was just the icing on the cake.

Thanks for the questions Loughc :D

Hi snowgal :D

Any particular christmas traditions in your house?
    Well since I was born we have never spent Christmas at my house. Everyone else in my house doesn't really like Christmas (sometimes I think I'm adopted :L ) we would all go to my uncles house for some breakfast. About 40 or so of us would be there all aunties, uncles, cousins, neighbours, friends and family members would be there. We have to do breakfast in shifts because my uncle sure doesn't have space for 40 at the table. After this we do a massive Kris Kindle so it's nice that everyone gets a present. It takes ages to do this :L. After this we all go our separate ways and about 20 or so of us would meet in my aunties for Dinner.

Do you ever open a present on Christmas eve?
    NEVER. sure why would I do that I'm only wrapping them then (I would be killed if I put presents under the tree before hand) :)

You could only have one thing this year, christmas music or christmas film, which would it be?
    It would have to be keeping Christmas music. Sure with all the Christmas TV specials out there I think I could go a year without the films. And I couldn't go without 24/7 Christmas FM in the house. (every year I go into my parents cars and tune Christmas FM into every single number on their radios, they hate it so much haha)

are you all about the sweet or savoury christmas stuff?
    Jaysus anything with a bit of Chocolate on it I'll happily have :)
    But if I had to choose I would pick sweet things. Speaking of which Roses are only €4.95 in Tesco at the moment see ye later ... :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Real tree or fake tree?

Do you decorate your tree with a plan, e.g. colour scheme, or do you just lash everything on?

White lights or coloured lights?

How is the Christmas shopping coming along?

When do you really start feeling Christmassy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Do you hang Christmas stocking?
    Yes or No to Christmas jumpers
    christmas pudding or Christmas cake?
    What is your typical Christmas evening after dinner in your aunts? Give as little or as much detail you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

1) What are your Stephens' Day traditions, if any?
    2) You mentioned TV Christmas specials, what's your favourite?
    3) What's "the smell" of Christmas to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

What's you favourite Christmas "time"? ( as in before, during or after)

Time machine selection box contents?

Clear or coloured lights? :)

Real tree or fake tree?
    Fake tree for me. Always has been. Personally I think they look great and I much prefer them to the look of a real tree :)

Do you decorate your tree with a plan, e.g. colour scheme, or do you just lash everything on?
    Oh we have a collection of anything and everything. My mam buys on newe decoration each year (usually after christmas for dirt cheap) so we always have a new decoration on the tree each December :)

White lights or coloured lights?
    Coloured :) the more colour the better. I hate them Blue LED lights though they are just not nice :L

How is the Christmas shopping coming along?
    Most of it is done. I really genuinely like shopping so I don't mind the hustle and bustle of Christmas. So I always leave a few things to the last minute :)

When do you really start feeling Christmassy?
    November 1st is when I start watching Christmas Movies and listen to Christmas music. But the past few years it is when Christmas FM comes on the air that I really start to feel Christmassey because I know there is so many other people listening in at the same time, and with 1 month to go no one can really say it is too early for Christmas Songs.

Thanks Scarinae :D

Do you hang Christmas stocking?
    I do hang it on my bedroom door. But I am lucky to get any sort of present under the tree so I would never expect my parents to put something in my stocking. I might just throw some chocolate in it this year for the craic :)

Yes or No to Christmas jumpers
    YES. I have 2 Christmas jumpers. 1 for Christmas Day in college and then 1 for actual Christmas day the 25th :D

christmas pudding or Christmas cake?
    Neither. I may shock most of you but I do not like the following. Christmas Cake, Christmas Pudding, Marzipan, Cinnamon, Gingerbread or Trifle :L

What is your typical Christmas evening after dinner in your aunts? Give as little or as much detail you want
    After the meal we will try rustle up a few teams to play some sort of a board game someone got that day for a present. Most of us are kinda tipsy at this stage anyway so we all watch TV and just kinda fall asleep :) then we find a bed somewhere to sleep. Luckily we all live kinda close so there is always somewhere to wander to :L

Thanks SarahLil :D

1) What are your Stephens' Day traditions, if any?
    St. Stephens Day begins with an almighty hangover usually. then i bury myself in bed and watch a boxset of some sort I got for Christmas. Then it is over to another one of my aunts houses for another big family dinner. Then i will meet up with my friends that night and exchange presents and go out to the club :)

2) You mentioned TV Christmas specials, what's your favourite?
    Any TV series that has had a Christmas Episode or a Christmas special I am interested in watching :) Some of my favourites are Keeping up Appearances, Mrs Browns Boys etc. Love all the Friends Christmas kinda episodes as well :)

3) What's "the smell" of Christmas to you?
    The smell of Christmas... I don't really know. Maybe to me it is just the warmth i feel when I walk through the door after a long day at work/uni. It may not be a smell but it defiantly is a great feeling ha

Thanks for the questions baby and crumble :D

• Advertisement

What's you favourite Christmas "time"? ( as in before, during or after)
    Before. I love the run up to Christmas more than Christmas itself. I would happily work every Christmas day going, as long as I had Christmas Eve off :D It's much more fun.

Time machine selection box contents?
    Ahh I'm only a youngin really so what is in them now is pretty much what I have always had.

Clear or coloured lights?
    Coloured. Just bought a load more for my room :) it's always the most decorated room in the house :D

Thanks for dem there questions washiskin :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

What is the best Christmas present you ever received as a child?

Which do you prefer out of Christmas Eve and Stephen's Day?

Do you listen to Christmas FM every year?

Do you have a favourite festive advert?

Are you a careful unwrapper or do you tear into the presents like a maniac? :D

What is the best Christmas present you ever received as a child?
    I dunno really. I do remember getting one of them carpets with the town on it that I could drive my toy cars on. That was fun :) I also got a ps2 one time which was completely unexpected. I like the little things, a little bar of chocolate and a card will keep me as happy as any other present.

Which do you prefer out of Christmas Eve and Stephen's Day?
    Ehh I like them both for different reasons. But prob Christmas Eve. There is such an excitement to the whole day. I always go out shopping in the town not to pick anything up but to just se everyone else running around. There is such a nice atmosphere.

Do you listen to Christmas FM every year?
    Oh yes. Every since year one. I remember I was in 5th year and someone mentioned it. I immediately went home and turned it on. Since then it's on every year. No radio in the vicinity of this house is allowed to play anything else for the month of Christmas fm. I have to listen to all the other crap on the radio for 11 months of the year so this 1 month is all I ask ha :D

Do you have a favourite festive advert?
    My favourite ad is the old Budweiser ad with the horses. That humming tune really gets stuck in my head. I also love the apple ad from last year. The coca cola trucks and the corn flakes girl are also top of my list.

Are you a careful unwrapper or do you tear into the presents like a maniac?
    I wrap all my presents carefully and attach bows and the whole lot. But when I'm opening them I just tear right in there. That's the fun of it :)

Thanks for the questions Posy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Do you have an advent calendar?

Do you have an advent calendar?

I do indeed. Got myself a Milkybar one :D roll on Monday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Hey Liamo22,

Favorite Christmas carol/hymn if any
    Early to rise Christmas morning?
    Asking Santy for anything nice?

Favorite Christmas carol/hymn if any
    Adeste Fidelas (sorry can't spell hah) I love that sung by anyone. Particularly love the Andrea Bochelli version from his Christmas album.

Early to rise Christmas morning?
    Usually get up at about 8ish. Open my presents and then pack the car and off to my uncles house. We usually go to mass first. I'm in no way religious but I like mass on Christmas morning. I get to see a lot of friends and family members that I would have not seen otherwise. It's nice just to go even once a year.

Asking Santy for anything nice?
    I asked him for a downpayment on a mortgage, a new car, a cruise around the world and a kinder egg. At least I know I will get one of them things. :D

Thanks for the questions delw :D

Advertisement