Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elf on a shelf!

• 16-11-2014 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

If anybodies looking for these for the festive season the best place I've found (at 34.99) is elfonashelf.ie

They also have a number of stalls around Dublin including the market beside the Green.

If anybody knows anywehere cheaper please share! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

They're also €34.99 in Robyn's Nest in Malahide :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Alicat wrote: »
    They're also €34.99 in Robyn's Nest in Malahide :)

ohh I may have to try there first to save me trekking into grafton st. They're 53 in Easons!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

They have them in Arnotts too for €35.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭minipink

They have a stall in Liffey Valley too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

What is this Elf on a shelf?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It's a fun way to tell children that Santa is keeping an eye on them. The elf is there to keep an eye on the children and report back to Santa. Some people go to an awful lot of trouble and make up creative situations for the elf to add to the fun.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

r3nu4l wrote: »
    What is this Elf on a shelf?

I've only learnt about this now myself! Oh my god, it's a great idea! I've seem some hilarous photos of some of the things the Elves get up to on their vists!

Ye have to post up yer pictures of where the elf ends up going! There is some great ideas online!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 scalp

Just make your own. It is not worth 35euro. Any old elf will do - in fact the one you get isn't particularly nice.

scalp wrote: »
    Just make your own. It is not worth 35euro. Any old elf will do - in fact the one you get isn't particularly nice.

I would've done that myself. I know a great doll maker too and he owes me a favour but unfortunately it's to replace one from last year and according to her mother her precious daughter has to have the exact same one!

I was thinking that I would buy a new one every year - as in that Santa sends a different elf every year. They would make a nice collection in years to come.

• Advertisement

I was thinking that I would buy a new one every year - as in that Santa sends a different elf every year. They would make a nice collection in years to come.

That's a really cute idea :D if you wanted to save cost you could always just mix their clothes and names up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Are the kids going to notice the difference from year to year without the previous year's elf there to compare with?

I think they are cute. This is our 5th year of doing the antics. Pininterest is great for inspiration. Our guy lands next week and we are doing NPB (North Pole Breakfast) once our trees go up.

Deenie123 wrote: »
    Are the kids going to notice the difference from year to year without the previous year's elf there to compare with?

Ah don't rain on my parade!! I'll have to take a photo every year now so that we can remind ourselves. Hopefully they won't find a big stash of elves some year like happened with the teeth - that was the end of the tooth fairy for two of mine.

I bought two of the EOTS reindeer. Does this mean I have a herd? In fairness, they are pretty cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

Parcel Motel are doing free delivery on these till midnight tonight, with a 10% discount code, from the email I received - hope it's of use to someone :) :

The Elf on the Shelf®: A Christmas Tradition is a cleverly rhymed children’s book explaining the story of Santa’s scout elves, who are sent to be Santa’s eyes and ears at children’s homes around the world! Adopt your own scout elf and learn the tale of Santa’s finest helpers. The whole family will enjoy this Christmas tradition.

Elf on the Shelf and Parcel Motel are offering free delivery via Parcel Motel (a saving of €3.95) and an exclusive 10% discount code until midnight Saturday 22nd November Go ahead and get your elf settled in and ready to report to Santa.

*OFFER IS VALID UNTIL MIDNIGHT SATURDAY 22nd NOVEMBER 2014
    Adopt an Elf today!
    Elf on the Shelf is available in boy or girl versions with light and dark skin and can be adopted from www.elfontheshelf.ie

How to order
    1. Visit www.elfontheshelf.ie and choose your elf.
    2. Include your name and PMID in the delivery address:
    Your Name
    Your PMID
    Unit 5 Mygan Park
    Jamestown Road
    Dublin 11
    3. Enter the discount code PARCEL10 in the order summary section.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Mayo Gurl wrote: »
    I think they are cute. This is our 5th year of doing the antics. Pininterest is great for inspiration. Our guy lands next week and we are doing NPB (North Pole Breakfast) once our trees go up.

What's in a North Pole breakfast?

alwaysadub wrote: »
    What's in a North Pole breakfast?

Its more or less like Willie Wonka has puked all over your breakfast table. Its our first year doing it, but I have older relations - with just as less sense - coming, so we will have grilled food/cereal/fruit/pancakes options and the treats will be decorations for the table until later in the morning. Our elf is going to decorate the kitchen, I have bought a load of stuff the kids haven't seen yet and I have Christmas crockery etc. We might also have elf costumes to wear *cough*. As I said, its our first try, but I'm going to give it a good shot!

Its more or less like Willie Wonka has puked all over your breakfast table. Its our first year doing it, but I have older relations - with just as less sense - coming, so we will have grilled food/cereal/fruit/pancakes options and the treats will be decorations for the table until later in the morning. Our elf is going to decorate the kitchen, I have bought a load of stuff the kids haven't seen yet and I have Christmas crockery etc. We might also have elf costumes to wear *cough*. As I said, its our first try, but I'm going to give it a good shot!

This is so cute. Love when people create traditions that kids will buy into and lock onto. As for your reindeer I think you'll find that two are a pair - minimum of three required for a herd.

I may have to expand my little "farm" scalp ������

• Advertisement

That is adorable. My mam used to do something similar like that on the first day of the winter solstice. I always looked forward to it because we never knew what was going to happen :)

I'm sure your kids will love it.

Ah thanks guys for the encouragement, I don't feel as demented. I went on a spree and bought a load of official EOTS stuff - bandaids, cupcake cases, treat bags, scented nail varnish, bath goodies, lipbalm, socks, fleece jammies, new outfits for the elves, colouring books etc. At least Mr Mayo Gurl knew what he was getting into before he married me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

That sounds adorable! I'd love that but my kids are on restricted diets - I wonder if I can figure out a similar thing? Does the Elf get the credit? So it's all done before they get up??

That sounds adorable! I'd love that but my kids are on restricted diets - I wonder if I can figure out a similar thing? Does the Elf get the credit? So it's all done before they get up??

He can get the credit, or "you" can be the host to welcome him back from the North Pole. I have bought a big Santa and his middle is a long chalkboard and I think I'm just going to write something like "Welcome to Buddy's North Pole Breakfast".

*I am a real adult!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

How restricted is their diet? Maybe we can help?

Deenie123 wrote: »
    How restricted is their diet? Maybe we can help?

They get hives etc from sugar and bread. We do fry up etc on weekend anyways. Maybe the Elf could do something else? Ours is out two days and I'm taking a picture of where she is every day. I was thinking about making a skirt for her, or pretend she has made the school lunches, breakfast etc? I'm trying to think of ways to maximise the magic!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Don't be afraid to post your pictures up here :-)

Could they have Frosties, December2012? I know its the food of the devil, but I'm saying its Corn Flakes covered in ice by Buddy. Or maybe pancakes?

Could they have Frosties, December2012? I know its the food of the devil, but I'm saying its Corn Flakes covered in ice by Buddy. Or maybe pancakes?

Frosties is a no no but pancakes are doable!!!

• Advertisement

Excuse my stupidity there, I only re-read about the sugar, sorry :(

Advertisement