Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The partaking in spoilers

• 19-11-2014 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭

So it's fairly common practice to read about/watch spoilers..

I don't do it myself but to those of you that do, why do you do it? To me it takes away any sort of surprise etc that I would get watching something for the first time and don't really enjoy it as much if I know what's coming.

Kinda seems like a waste of time watching unless you are watching to see how the production team have shot it?

just something I have been wondering about recently

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭MelanieC

I agree totally with you but I just can't help myself!
    I wish I could ignore all the spoilers but if I see that little blacked-out bit,I just have to click on it,it's an addiction!
    If the information wasn't out there,I'd have no problem waiting but when it's there,I don't have the self-control to resist,I'm too curious! It was the same with my pregnancies,couldn't wait the nine months to find out if it was a boy or girl - once the sonographer knew,I had to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I'm the same as Mel, I can't resist clicking on the spoilers. :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

So its just a lack of will power then?

Be a lot better if my weakness was spoilers and not chocolate! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭MelanieC

Imagine what it's like for those of us who have both!! :-( :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ms.c

I like to read them sometimes its just something I enjoy or if there is a good storyline I want to know where it's headed or if my predictions are correct (I guess I'm impatient)

I wait for HUGE reveals like the Lucy Beale revelation in EE and I try not to look at spoilers coming up to Christmas because that's when they tend to have really good story lines

I also like the newish producer at Eastenders, there have been a lot of surprises lately - some good and some bad - but overall the fact nobody saw it coming made an impact

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I don't get it either OP. I'm a H&A fan, but you'll never see me post in the thread here because I just don't want to know what's going to happen months in advance (I watch on RTE). I don't understand why you'd rob yourself of the surprise of watching stuff for the first time, not to mention the occasional "Ah here, I can't f*cking believe they did that!" moments by reading them weeks before they happen.

There was one particular time I did dip into the H&A thread and found out that a particular actress was back on set. Pretty much straight away I was able to guess fairly accurately the storyline they were going to go with (because let's face it, these shows are largely cyclical) and when it actually happened in the show the effect was definitely diminished.

But hey, each to their own and all that, if you can get enjoyment out of both reading the spoilers and watching the show, go for it. :)

Advertisement