Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Candle

• 18-11-2014 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Anyone have any suggestions on a really christmasy smelling candle... want to start setting the mood. Lit a Yankee White Christmas tonight and not loving it.

I'd be thinking more pine, cinnamon etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I've heard good things about Yankee Cinnamon stick, I think that's what it's called,

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Hufflepuff

Yankee Christmas Garland is a new one this year and has a pine scent , the Cinnamon Stick one is lovely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ick I don't get yankee candles they smell all false full to the brim with chemicals id say

Ohhh you can get oils and burn them much nicer and more for your money..

You can also get some pine cones and stick them in a plastic bag, pour in a little oil. Shake it all around and let them dry..Suits you put them around the house, especially over heat and you give the place a lovely christmassy scent.

If you like incense look at this site http://www.earthworksincense.com/ very nice sticks and cones here. The frankincense and Cinammon are very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

That's what I thought about the smell from the White Christmas. Ended up blowing it out and burning some Olbus oil to mask the smell.

I like the idea of the pine cones. Be handy in the halls etc. What oil would you use in that sinario?

Yeah I think they are a love hate thing. I sniffed two the other night in the shop (sounds so wrong but you know what I mean) he liked them but I was like nono no...

If you are near any good garden centre they normall do a pine oil mix. And if not call into a health shop or one of those spots and get some Orange, Frankincense is good but very pricey (very good for wrinkles), Cinamon, Star Anais, cloves..

You can also go an buy some herbs in the shops, an do things like
    sow them onto some string. a selection like star anaise, small rings of dried orange, with cloves in them, bay leaves
    You can put them in a small bag asloand then smell just as nice..
    Some orange (dried out) or just pop lots of cloves into it and put it on the rad it will dry out if you have the heating on and still smell as good..

Make up you own scent too if the oils are too pressie by taking the juice of an orange and mixing in you fav Christmas smells..

And if all else falls, go into the woods and cut a few brances of Christmas try use to burn in the fire or just leave around the house too...

Im off to do all of these things now haha

• Advertisement

Milly33 wrote: »
    Yeah I think they are a love hate thing. I sniffed two the other night in the shop (sounds so wrong but you know what I mean) he liked them but I was like nono no...

If you are near any good garden centre they normall do a pine oil mix. And if not call into a health shop or one of those spots and get some Orange, Frankincense is good but very pricey (very good for wrinkles), Cinamon, Star Anais, cloves..

You can also go an buy some herbs in the shops, an do things like
    sow them onto some string. a selection like star anaise, small rings of dried orange, with cloves in them, bay leaves
    You can put them in a small bag asloand then smell just as nice..
    Some orange (dried out) or just pop lots of cloves into it and put it on the rad it will dry out if you have the heating on and still smell as good..

Make up you own scent too if the oils are too pressie by taking the juice of an orange and mixing in you fav Christmas smells..

And if all else falls, go into the woods and cut a few brances of Christmas try use to burn in the fire or just leave around the house too...

Im off to do all of these things now haha

I think you've just given me, and anyone else reading this, quite the todo list!

Thanks

Tried one of those Oil Burner tablets that Yankee do to just there, "Happy Christmas" that same chemical taste in my throat after burning it. Safe to say Yankee is off my candle list.

Way too much time on my hands so I do.. It is just some much easier to create the scents yourself when you think about it... I know it is easier to buy them but then you end up with yankee candles. I must look up whats in them because im defo the same with them I don't understand how they are so popular

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

Not into candles much myself, but bought some scent sticks in Heatons for I think 6 euro and they're called fresh cut tree or something like that. I swear I could smell them in the shop and they reminded me of a real cut tree like we used to have when I was a child (instead of the fakey ones we now have). With loops on the end of the sticks, you can hang them in your tree or add them to wreaths etc, and I think they smell great.

Advertisement