Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AC/DC New album and Tour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,528 ✭✭✭✭briany

ush wrote: »
    Where to start.....

Its not the 80's anymore. Getting playtime on MTV isn't important. Record covers aren't important in the greater scheme of things either.

Also, how is making the same video again putting in an effort.

Who cares. I'm sure Stevie is a good player. Thats all that matters. I'm sure the drummer is professional enough too.

Dude, it a 100 percent obvious. You're hard of humour.

Really, who cares. Videos aren't what AC/DC is about.

If AC/DC aren't about music videos, then they shouldn't have to put one out. If they're going to put one out, either put one out that has some balls and production value, or if they're doing a joke, actually make the joke funny, have Angus bust in through the green screen and leave a big hole in it ala the Heatseeker video, have the band mock the cheesy green screen graphics. Just be creative! People who are saying that it's a Paranoid reference or a kind of up-yours to modern music video production are off the mark in my opinion. You could always spin it that way, though, I suppose. Maybe Roy 'Chubby' Brown will announce that he was subtly lampooning misogynistic attitudes across Britain with his act as well. Maybe a publicity stunt? AC/DC don't really need publicising. They've sold 200 million records and have millions of fans. They're not really short of people to sit up and take notice when they release new music or tour.

Given the stature of the band and the amount of fans they have, there has to be people working in both the audio-visual industry and graphic design who'd absolutely jump at the chance to work with the band and do something properly funny or kick-ass with them and wouldn't break the bank doing it either. That's kind of what bothers me really is the apparent apathy within the band's camp these days. One can only hope their stage props have survived the last few years in storage or we could be looking forward to a stage show that involves a life sized blow up doll for Rosie, hand chimes instead of a bell and a few bangers instead of cannons. But, hey, it's all about the music, right? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

briany wrote: »
    People who are saying that it's a Paranoid reference or a kind of up-yours to modern music video production are off the mark in my opinion.

Its an obvious reference to 70's videos. The whole Classic Rock generation will get the reference. They weren't impressed by the Iron Man/Shoot to Thrill video. None of 'em are watching videos, like they did when they were twelve. They don't care. They've got lives to lead. They'll pay top dollar for the show though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

More about Rudd's problems.

http://loudwire.com/acdc-angus-young-phil-rudd-needs-to-sort-himself-out/

I doubt he'll be touring with the band next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭LETS GET NAKED

I'd say the lads in the band don't care if he gets it together or not, if anything it'll be a relief if he doesn't cause then there's no chance of something going wrong mid tour/mid show.

If you know AC/DC, they're notoriously closed and private, so it's a surprise that they reveal anything about their thoughts on the Rudd situation or that he's been recently flaky. AC/DC give their share of interviews, they're not like Zeppelin or anything back in the day, but they usually stick to the music. I suppose the Rudd issue is looming so large as to be unavoidable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Times like These had dodgy greenscreen as did No One Knows. I like ****ty fx anyway, too much polish and soulless professionalism these days.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/acdc-malcolm-young-phil-rudd-rock-or-bust-20141114

Good interview here. Interesting that all songs on the new album credited to Young-Young with the riffs coming from old stuff they worked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

AC/DC's 'Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap' Gets Sales Bump After PHIL RUDD's Arrest

:pac:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/acdcs-dirty-deeds-done-dirt-cheap-gets-sales-bump-after-phil-rudds-arrest/

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/acdc-malcolm-young-phil-rudd-rock-or-bust-20141114

Good interview here. Interesting that all songs on the new album credited to Young-Young with the riffs coming from old stuff they worked on.

I'm sort of amazed that Angus would be willing to give any insight into Malcolm's condition considering how private they've all been over the years. Must be so hard for Malcolm not being there, doing his thing. Even harder for the rest of the boys, though, I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I'm sort of amazed that Angus would be willing to give any insight into Malcolm's condition considering how private they've all been over the years. Must be so hard for Malcolm not being there, doing his thing. Even harder for the rest of the boys, though, I'm sure.

I always got the impression (don't know where from) that it was Malcolm who called the shots and Angus went along with it, might see Angus open up a bit more now.
    Interesting to hear Malcolm was suffering from it during Black Ice tour and had to relearn some songs, it speaks volumes for his brilliance that nobody noticed.

• Advertisement

Roanmore wrote: »
    I always got the impression (don't know where from) that it was Malcolm who called the shots and Angus went along with it, might see Angus open up a bit more now.
    Interesting to hear Malcolm was suffering from it during Black Ice tour and had to relearn some songs, it speaks volumes for his brilliance that nobody noticed.

Yeah, Malcolm was absolutely on the money for the whole of that tour as far as I know.

As brothers, they've always presented a united front but it would seem, by all accounts, that Malcolm made the lion's share of the actual decisions. In his private life Angus seems pretty taciturn, not very outgoing, kind of shy really. Not the sort you imagine going to bat for the band all by himself, so it'll be interesting to see how he takes that on. Not that I think he'll have to take it on for too long. Hard to see them writing any more music after this tour because Malcolm always wrote most of the riffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

Malcolms illness may be the real reason they didnt vary the setlist on the last tour.Makes more sense now than Brian johnsons explaination at the time.

But they never mixed the set list up anyway. Now that Malcolm isn't in the band, we're still gonna get the same set every night from the first night of the tour to the last.

Harrocks wrote: »
    Malcolms illness may be the real reason they didnt vary the setlist on the last tour.Makes more sense now than Brian johnsons explaination at the time.

Agreed.
    But they never mixed the set list up anyway. Now that Malcolm isn't in the band, we're still gonna get the same set every night from the first night of the tour to the last.

No, they didn't mix things up too much ever but I think the Black Ice tour took it to a new level. I think that, save for a couple of the Australian dates, it was the exact same songs in the exact same positions night after night. For preceding tours, they were prepared to mix things up a little bit. For example, on the Stiff Upper Lip tour they did songs like 'Ride On' and 'Up to my Neck in You'. On the short Club/Stones tour they did in 2003, they busted out tunes like 'Gone Shootin', 'If you want Blood' and 'Rock and Roll Damnation'.

Besides the Malcolm explanation, there's another reason why AC/DC don't bust out older rarer cuts more often - Brian Johnson sounds pretty weak on some of them.

If memory serves me right (and if often doesn't) the only change to the set on the Razor's Edge tour was the switch from the song The Razor's Edge to Are You Ready about half way through. And that was over 20 years ago when health wasn't as issue. So I don't think they did anything different on the Black Ice tour than what they did on other tours.

The second time they came to Europe on the Black Ice tour (the 2010 leg) they swapped in High Voltage for Dog Eat Dog and dropped one of the tracks from Black Ice. I think that was pretty much the only change across the whole album cycle.

Angus and Cliff just did an AMA on reddit about an hour ago, I can't post a screenshot or anything cause I'm a new reg but here's the jist of what was said when asked about Phil.

Thrashaddict; What is going to happen to Phil? Will he be touring with you on the rock or bust tour? Huge Fan BTW! ROCK ON!!

ANGUS: Well...
    CLIFF: Phil has to get himself well. That may take some time.
    ANGUS: It's a bit of a question now. But the band is committed to going forward, and touring.

Sounds to me like plans have been made to tour without him atm, but of course there's a few months between now and when the tour will actually kick off so he could turn it around if he sorts himself out.

Sounds to me like plans have been made to tour without him atm, but of course there's a few months between now and when the tour will actually kick off so he could turn it around if he sorts himself out.

He could well be behind bars.

Rudd not only has to prove that he's innocent of the crimes he's charged with, he'll also have to prove that he's reliable to the band. First of all, besides having massively sullied his reputation and embarrassing the band by association, he also appears to have developed a bit of a hard drug problem with the meth found at his home so he'll have to clean himself up. Your time keeper has to be rock solid and that goes double for AC/DC who have always has one of the most solid rhythm sections in all of Rock and Roll. They won't stand for wondering whether their drummer will be able to perform night after night.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Well if Phil Rudd won't be able to man the kit for the upcoming tour, they could borrow Airbourne's Ryan O' Keefe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

OK I enjoy the song, but this video looks like a year one AV student project. It's just them in front of a green screen with random ball related footage. Totally underwhelming. It doesn't even look music video-y, having a stark digital camera look instead. I mean, I know that AC/DC are direct but this video shows absolutely zero ambition or imagination. Pretty much the worst video they have made.
    AC/DC videos have always been poor, even back in the day when videos mattered more. I found the videos and clips on the Family Jewels DVD to be a chore to watch, except the Countdown performances (esp. with Bon in pigtails and pinafore).

TBH, it's not worth expending much effort on videos nowadays. They're just marketing tool with a short shelf life. I'm more concerned about what the album's going to be like.

McDave wrote: »
    AC/DC videos have always been poor, even back in the day when videos mattered more. I found the videos and clips on the Family Jewels DVD to be a chore to watch, except the Countdown performances (esp. with Bon in pigtails and pinafore).

TBH, it's not worth expending much effort on videos nowadays. They're just marketing tool with a short shelf life. I'm more concerned about what the album's going to be like.

People like to say that videos don't matter anymore, but I disagree. A lot of people, the majority of their casual music listening is done through Youtube these days, the videos are linked on people's Facebook feeds, their Twitter/Tumblr feeds etc. and the videos are there on YT for all time, or as long as Youtube lasts and the next site after it and so on. They can spread like wildfire and create a real buzz now which is not something they could do in the same way back in the 'golden era'. Either way the band, or rather the people tasked with producing the video, missed a trick to do either a big daft rock video or a small low-budget funny video. It was just a video with no ideas at all, and even that would be OK but I don't see why Mallett needed to be hired to do it. Could have been done with a few cameramen, and a bit of messing around with Final Cut.

People like to say that videos don't matter anymore, but I disagree. A lot of people, the majority of their casual music listening is done through Youtube these days, the videos are linked on people's Facebook feeds, their Twitter/Tumblr feeds etc. and the videos are there on YT for all time, or as long as Youtube lasts and the next site after it and so on. They can spread like wildfire and create a real buzz now which is not something they could do in the same way back in the 'golden era'. Either way the band, or rather the people tasked with producing the video, missed a trick to do either a big daft rock video or a small low-budget funny video. It was just a video with no ideas at all, and even that would be OK but I don't see why Mallett needed to be hired to do it. Could have been done with a few cameramen, and a bit of messing around with Final Cut.

Maybe it's an age thing but these days I never watch videos. All my music listening is done on the go, either when I'm jogging, walking the dogs or commuting and in the car. I'll watch a video once or twice on Youtube when it comes out (like I did with this one) but then I'll forget about it. Actually look at the FF, their new stuff is just them playing in the studio which is fairly simple and forgettable but gets the job done.

I'm out of touch a bit with viral stuff as well but are there really many videos from superstar bands that create a buzz these days? I would have thought you'd only get that from smaller bands or newer bands trying to establish themselves. When was the last time U2, Foo Fighters, Adele, Coldplay (or whoever else fills out stadiums these days) had real buzz from a video?

I've said it before, but as long as the 11 songs on the album are good, I couldn't care about the videos. But I'm old and grumpy so that could be just me!

Youtube is still by far the biggest music streaming site, so I'd say videos are still quite important.

However, AC/DC have never had good videos and their team knows the fans don't really care (except I suppose maybe a tiny bit with this one being exceptionally bad). I don't really see what the fuss is about, we all thought the video was going to bland and it was. People on about this being some sort of a parody video of the 70s are massively over-thinking it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Videos are most certainly not important unless you're a teenybopper. For the most part AC/DCs target audience would not give a toss.

I've often listened to music on YouTube and to be honest I never take notice of the video, in fact most of the time it's not even the official video I'm looking at!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Well if Phil Rudd won't be able to man the kit for the upcoming tour, they could borrow Airbourne's Ryan O' Keefe.

Aren't Airbourne more or less touring as AC/DC as it is, tipping their hat to the "sh*t era" AC/DC...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Anyone who thinks Airbourne are sh*t really has to go see them live, seriously they are one of the best live acts on the planet, yes what they're doing is nothing original, but they are so good at writing songs in that style that I honestly couldn't give a f*ck about how original they are, when AC/DC do go they are more than capable of filling that gaping hole they'll leave.

Would love to read an AC/DC thread without having to read an argument about Airbourne. Just once.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

, when AC/DC do go they are more than capable of filling that gaping hole they'll leave.

Hmmmmm, some Simon Cowell type could spot a gap in the market here. Cultivate some young bands who rip off Metallica, Megadeth and Slayer and launch them when those bands go into retirement. :)

Advertisement