Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Signs you're a FPL addict - Boarsie edition - Please read first post

Options
  • 05-11-2014 11:33am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm robbing the excellent idea from FantasYIRMA article to see what are the signs from a boarsie perspective...

http://fantasyyirma.com/2014/11/04/27-signs-that-youre-addicted-to-fantasy-football/

So it's a case of posting to finish the following sentence...

You know you are addicted to FPL when...

...you relate Fantasy Football occurances to places when you revisit them at a later date.

-Bunratty Castle when Stephen Ireland got 19 fecking points for my rival.
    -Tesco Car park when Carlton Cole scored and got sent off.
    -Random petrol station when Darren bent finally scores on the day I sold him.
    -Homestore and More in Limerick when RVP score 2 and assisted 3 :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I remember the day the Yak scored 4 fondly I had taken a hit to get him in that week which made it especially sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Trying to keep these forum related as opposed to general game related

I say to myself that Parlance/Mr prodston/insert username as appropriate will be thrilled with that goal.

I fistpump when I get in ahead of finnharpsboy with an update from a live match

Random Internet peoples scores matter way more than they should to me

I miss roryc even with his moans :(

I still want to see that mickey turner goal gif.....

I wonder often if carlcon still plays the game and lurks here

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

When you walk into a pole when checking if Liverpool conceded...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

FutureGuy wrote: »
    When you walk into a pole when checking if Liverpool conceded...

Thats a lot of poles to walk in to every weekend. You should buy a helmet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

My captain Yaya toure scoring a free kick in injury time during communion at my cousins wedding August 31 2013.
    Michu(c) blanking after Swansea scored 4 during my nephews (and Godsons) christening.
    Stag in Galway last year when Mata came on late in the second half and scored twice. Most of my mates have no interest in FPL and I would be well known as being a non-lover(to put it mildly) of Man U but Mata and Rooney were in my team that day.

Far too many to mention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

KevIRL wrote: »
    I fistpump when I get in ahead of finnharpsboy with an update from a live match

Hahaha brilliant! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Its 16:40 on Saturday afternoon and you have 3 defenders on a clean sheet, yer away from a TV and relying for FSA for game updates. You refresh the page on your phone and see the latest post on thread is from finnhaprsboy

tumblr_mu9lvuRvSq1s7mdj8o8_250.gif

One or more cleanies gone

b78c1f7661335f25a5e9a6785604db9aa5ba4091712d04685b4d26dcb145019b.jpg

Yellow card for a randomer like Cattermole

Party-GIF.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

- When you wake up one morning and realise that you actually support Norwich

- When everyone waits patiently for you every Saturday at 2pm for whatever witty title I come up with for the line-ups

- When you realise that you might have an unhealthy obsession with a number of players such as Yaya and Ramsey

- When you realise that you have an extremely healthy obsession with a man called Mickey Turner

- When you're in the heart of the Vietnamese countryside with no access to wifi and all you can think about is whether or not you should transfer in Rickie Lambert. Not that it matters because you have no wifi anyway

- When you realise that without the FSA you probably wouldn't care half as much about the game and that you consider a number of people you've never met to be friends :)

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

When your third substitute gets a hat-trick

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

When you take the family shopping because Aguero is home to Burnley, you don't have him, and YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW!

• Advertisement

When you want your team to win 5-1 when you have their attacking players but not defeders, and 1-0 when the opposite is true :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Hahaha got a good laugh out of that!

I often wonder about this myself!

When you secretly (and sometimes not so secretly) feel delighted knowing your captain has scored... against your own team :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Some highlights
    Walcott (C) while being at a family function one xmas think it was 52 pts.
    Pushing my son on the swings while checking my phone the day M Turner scored for Norwich.
    Being up in Belfast with the OH dropping into a pub to check the score and spurs have scored 4 goals. I have ade in my team ask a randomer who scored for spurs ade hasnt scored. Go back out to the OH pretty grumpy my mate texts me 5 mins later you jammy so and so ade has 4 assists. Oh how the mood changed.

I find myself when I have aguero in my team constantly updating the man city page from 145 till 2 to see if he is starting.
    I often pretend to need to go to the toilet when doing family stuff at the weekend so I can check the forum.
    That buzz you get when a player your not keeping goes up .2 when on wildcard.
    Hoping that the team you support will concede a goal.
    I was in hospital a few years back with burst appendix rang a mate just as I was going in for the OP to make a transfer for me.

Double game week. Dempsey for Fulham as captain. Two points first game, but then scored two goals in the second half of the second game and got the bonus.

MOD: GUYS, CAN WE KEEP THESE ON TOPIC - So it's a case of posting to finish the following sentence...

You know you are addicted to FPL when (enter your own personal symptom here :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

You think to yourself, "No way Lemlin is right about that. I know my team better and his advice doesn't apply to me." And then it turns out he's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Boots234

You know you are addicted to FPL when Aguero(c) scores 4 against Spurs but you are still angry that he missed a penalty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Was checking out the Boards.ie FSA league table there a couple of weeks ago and spotted his name, just checked there and he is in 116th place in the league!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

With the exception of boards your browsing and search history seems to only recognise sites beginning with the letter F.

You will happily settle down in front of the box at 8 o clock on a Monday night hoping for a nil-nil and switch to fair city when there's been a few early goals and the game is looking like it's gonna be a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

You know you are addicted to FPL when your google search history consists almost entirely of Aguero/Sanchez/Costa/etc followed by the word 'injury'...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,821 ✭✭✭✭CSF

When the first thing you do when you wake up at 7:30 in the morning is check the Price Changes thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I have spent the last two days working about the price of Tim Krul, need him to stay at 4.5 till sat.

Checking over and back at the site like a Wall Street trader with millions at stake.

CSF wrote: »
    When the first thing you do when you wake up at 7:30 in the morning is check the Price Changes thread.

When doing a night feed with the baby you get excited that there is a new post in the price change thread at 330 in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

You know you're addicted to FPL when:

You're on holidays somewhere and offer to take your child for a stroll in the buggy so that you can go for a sneaky pint when she falls asleep and read FSA!

A shopping trip on a Saturday or Sunday usually ends in your wife losing the plot because you are walking 4-5 steps behind her, trying to keep up while reading your phone!

...when you are watching Swansea vs Leicester instead of El Classico because you have Neil Taylor and Gylfi Sigurdsson playing.

...when you can actually spell Sigurdsson correctly from memory.

...when you know his first name is Gylfi.

...when you can compare the merits of each Talyor playing in the Premier League.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

when you are sitting in a meeting in Dublin supposed to be sensible and professional and you have FSA open on your laptop and are posting in a "you know when you are addicted to Fantasy Football" thread. *

* this may or may not be happening right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

When you have the name of a peno taker followed by the word GOAL!!!! already typed out and are fúcking delighted with yourself when you're the first to get it posted in the match day thread!

When you're watching Hull vs Stoke on a Saturday evening and you don't even own any players but you're praying Stoke score because your key rival has Chester!

When your mind is usually occupied on a 10k run by the various connotations of what transfer you should make!

• Advertisement

When you know the next 3 or 4 fixtures of teams like wba hull and Burnley and when you have a fixture booklet beside your bed with all the fa cup and cl dates filled into it and can more or less predict when the dgws will take place.

Advertisement