Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AC/DC New album and Tour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Hells bells those video's were bad :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,528 ✭✭✭✭briany

It almost seems like covering AC/DC is a tougher task than it might at first seem, given the apparently simple nature of their music. Even their best tribute bands manage to do the music OK, as the band's overall sound is notoriously difficult to cop. A good example of this is that AC/DC have never used distortion/overdrive pedals to achieve their guitar sound, instead relying on sheer volume of their amps. This gives them the crunch but the guitars remain very big, open and natural sounding. Other guitarists trying to replicate it with stomp boxes end up sounding buzzy, indistinct and small in comparison.

Then there's bad choices in the interpretation like in some of the videos posted.

There's a version of It's a Long Way to the Top by Susanna and the magical Orchestra that goes under 'radically' different, but I just thought it was atrocious. Youtube it, if you dare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

what a fcuking band they are
    what a back catalogue
    what a signature sound
    RIB Bon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

briany wrote: »
    Then there's bad choices in the interpretation like in some of the videos posted.

There's a version of It's a Long Way to the Top by Susanna and the magical Orchestra that goes under 'radically' different, but I just thought it was atrocious. Youtube it, if you dare.

But the Muppets do a killer version...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,574 ✭✭✭lord lucan

This might explain Phil Rudd 's absence recently!

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/acdc-drummer-phil-rudd-charged-with-attempting-to-procure-a-murder/

Regardless of the outcome I'd imagine this may put his future plans with ac/dc on hold.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

F*cking hell :eek:

It's bad enough Malcolm was forced to retire, if Rudd can't tour either it definitely won't be the same, Chris Slade and Simon Wright both did a decent job filling in when he was gone but neither had the same feel as him, I hope he is found innocent and is able to tour, if he isn't what a stupid d1ckhead.

They will carry on if he can't tour, they'll still sell out all over the place regardless on the name alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

lord lucan wrote: »
    This might explain Phil Rudd 's absence recently!

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/acdc-drummer-phil-rudd-charged-with-attempting-to-procure-a-murder/

Regardless of the outcome I'd imagine this may put his future plans with ac/dc on hold.

On hold??? Lol

Dirty deeds....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I can't get over how different Phil Rudd- it looks nothing like him....well so I thought!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I can't get over how different Phil Rudd- it looks nothing like him....well so I thought!!

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that he's not a gluten free/vegetable juice kinda guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭LETS GET NAKED

Yeah saw an interview with Phil Rudd filmed recently and he looked like crap, being a meth head would explain it.

The tour will still go ahead next year, but good chance I suppose that this really will be the last album cycle now. Chris Slade is still performing and touring so would be cool if they got him in rather than some random drum tech or somebody from another band.

What an odd story though the guy is clearly on another planet and needed help. Don't feel sorry for him though never heard of as I lay dying I guess :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Ducking hell!

Ducking hell!

Ruddy hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Phil Rudd arrained for allegedly organising 2 hits, not musical ones at that..

Ruddy hell!
    Hoffmans wrote: »
    Phil Rudd arrained for allegedly organising 2 hits, not musical ones at that..

:D

Well, that took an unexpectedly dark turn!

What's happened to Rudd, though? He's been a loose cannon since the band's come back into the public spotlight. Anyway, he's undoubtedly gone from the band now.

I wonder was this related also to why Rudd couldn't attend the video shoots?

I'd say to have Chris Slade back, as another poster above me also suggested. Look at him on the Donington videos. He's having the time of his life. If that was Phil, he'd be there with a stony expression, fag on, plugging away dutifully.

I feel bad for the whole band, now. It's almost like this tour just isn't meant to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

AC/DC have released a statement regarding Phil's arrest.

http://metalhammer.teamrock.com/news/2014-11-06/ac-dc-rudd-arrest-won-t-impact-album-tour
    "We've only become aware of Phil's arrest as the news was breaking. We have no further comment. Phil’s absence will not affect the release of our new album Rock Or Bust and upcoming tour next year."

He looks like a meth addict - no teeth, complexion of a 90 year old. Sad really.

F*cking hell :eek:

It's bad enough Malcolm was forced to retire, if Rudd can't tour either it definitely won't be the same, Chris Slade and Simon Wright both did a decent job filling in when he was gone but neither had the same feel as him, I hope he is found innocent and is able to tour, if he isn't what a stupid d1ckhead.

They will carry on if he can't tour, they'll still sell out all over the place regardless on the name alone.

At this point I'm thinking that Rudd's feel was overrated. I can't say that his solo album exactly blew my head off with 'feel'. It sounded pretty average. I think the Youngs felt, though, that they worked well with him and had a musical understanding.

I'd say Chris Slade was the best out of the three who've been official members and if you look at the videos where he's with them, he added a verve and tightness to their sound that hasn't really been there before or since. And his enthusiasm was great to see. I think the reason he got the boot was because he wasn't a fit personality-wise, but there's no one area where you could say Phil's got an edge over Chris in terms of being the right drummer for AC/DC, musically speaking. Hopefully, if Phil is indeed out and Chris is not busy with something else, they extend that invitation to keep it 'in the family' as it were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭LETS GET NAKED

Yeah I liked Chris Slade, and the album is done so it's not as if he's going to affect the writing process. His drumkit was badass as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Technically Slade is miles ahead of Rudd, but Rudd is a better fit for AC/DC, I love how he keeps it simple, no self indulgent nonsense like some drummers can be guilty of, I hope he's cleared and able to tour but if not I'd be happy with Slade, he's hugely underrated and maybe he might get some deserved recognition, Slade has just turned 68 suppose it depends how his health is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Technically Slade is miles ahead of Rudd, but Rudd is a better fit for AC/DC, I love how he keeps it simple, no self indulgent nonsense like some drummers can be guilty of, I hope he's cleared and able to tour but if not I'd be happy with Slade, he's hugely underrated and maybe he might get some deserved recognition, Slade has just turned 68 suppose it depends how his health is.

Slade kept it simple, too, but I think any little hits he added were there to add to the song, not take away by adding needless complexity.

One of Slade's recent gigs has been 'fronting' his very own AC/DC tribute band - Chris Slade's Steel Circle. They're not great, except for Slade. I'm sure he doesn't need to do it, but does it because he enjoys playing that kind of music. Still, it can be a little hard watching a guy playing in a tribute for a band he used to actually be in.

Even if Rudd gets cleared, AC/DC don't like messing. The Youngs (or just Angus, now) have always been fairly intolerant of unprofessional behavior. If they gave Slade and Mark Evans the boot for no real good reason, I hold little hope for the double-murder plot suspect with a barely concealed drug problem.

Slade kept it simple, too, but I think any little hits he added were there to add to the song, not take away by adding needless complexity.

One of Slade's recent gigs has been 'fronting' his very own AC/DC tribute band - Chris Slade's Steel Circle. They're not great, except for Slade. I'm sure he doesn't need to do it, but does it because he enjoys playing that kind of music. Still, it can be a little hard watching a guy playing in a tribute for a band he used to actually be in.

Even if Rudd gets cleared, AC/DC don't like messing. The Youngs (or just Angus, now) have always been fairly intolerant of unprofessional behavior. If they gave Slade and Mark Evans the boot for no real good reason, I hold little hope for the double-murder plot suspect with a barely concealed drug problem.

I'm not saying Slade is one of those flash b*stard drummers, he's great on that live album, I just think Rudd's style suits AC/DC better.

It's probably unlikely Rudd will come back, if his case isn't heard soon they probably won't wait anyway regardless of how guilty/innocent he is, their time is limited enough as it is, it's a fairly depressing end for them :(

I'm not saying Slade is one of those flash b*stard drummers, he's great on that live album, I just think Rudd's style suits AC/DC better.

It's probably unlikely Rudd will come back, if his case isn't heard soon they probably won't wait anyway regardless of how guilty/innocent he is, their time is limited enough as it is, it's a fairly depressing end for them :(

I just got a bit tired of Rudd's miserable git act being on stage. He's very dead-eyed and unanimated in his playing, however much of a fit it might be. Sometimes it really feels like he's phoning it in, whereas Slade has always been super upbeat in his demeanour. He had a much better 'big rock' feel to him. Maybe Rudd's been better on the album, but Slade killed it better live than any Rudd performance I've seen.

Honestly, I don't think AC/DC should have gone ahead with this album and tour, and it pains me to say that because they've been my absolute favorite rock band since I was very small, but the wheels appear to be coming off now. I mean, they can keep plugging away with new members, but one thing I always respected about AC/DC was they weren't one of those bands with like one or two original guys and the rest were session spot fillers. They were always pretty consistent. The other thing is I thought they'd made a pact that if one of them couldn't continue, none of them would. Where's that gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

• Registered Users Posts: 13 NelsonVanAlden

The new drummer will possibly be Bob Richards.

Jesus 68 is really pushing it. They fella he replaced has a few your on him id say.

RayCon wrote: »

AC/DC aren't really stuck for a few bob. They're long past the need to continue for monetary reasons, and they're not in a position where they can be dictated to by labels or managers. The only reason to continue is because they enjoy it.

• Advertisement

I just got a bit tired of Rudd's miserable git act being on stage. He's very dead-eyed and unanimated in his playing, however much of a fit it might be. Sometimes it really feels like he's phoning it in, whereas Slade has always been super upbeat in his demeanour. He had a much better 'big rock' feel to him. Maybe Rudd's been better on the album, but Slade killed it better live than any Rudd performance I've seen.

Honestly, I don't think AC/DC should have gone ahead with this album and tour, and it pains me to say that because they've been my absolute favorite rock band since I was very small, but the wheels appear to be coming off now. I mean, they can keep plugging away with new members, but one thing I always respected about AC/DC was they weren't one of those bands with like one or two original guys and the rest were session spot fillers. They were always pretty consistent. The other thing is I thought they'd made a pact that if one of them couldn't continue, none of them would. Where's that gone?

Rudd delivers live no matter how disinterested he looks, I haven't seen Slade live so I can't compare them that way, the fact that they've worked with Slade and he knows the songs is a huge advantage to him when they go looking for a replacement

I think I read that illness hit Malcolm pretty suddenly, they may have had the album written and had a farewell tour planned and decided to go ahead with it, if this happened in 2011, they may have called it a day, as much as I hate saying this I hope they call it a day after this tour and they don't piss on their legacy completely, like Johnson said a few years ago have people looking at them on the stage and feeling sorry for them.

Advertisement