Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AC/DC New album and Tour.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Some stuff from the "Ballbreaker" album would be top class. Great great album.

+1 on the rest of the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

briany wrote: »
    Hopefully they'll just play the O2 again. If I see them again, I'd try to get up in the stands rather than on the floor. Never saw the big deal about being on the floor TBH. It's a whole lot of not being able to see the band/the music being too loud. Up in the stands you at least have a decent view and are relatively unmolested (oo'er).
    Was up on the balcony for the Bon-era gig at the Olympic Ballroom. Great view! Murder on the ears though as it was right beside the left (Malcolm's side) stack.

Was close enough to the stage on the floor at the first Brian-era gig at the RDS. No ladies molested me. Was just a wee lad wearing a jumper. :(

AC/DC would probably never say this is their last tour, but you have to think it's likely. It'll probably never happen, but by god do I wish they'd dust off some 'b' material for this one. Firstly, their 'b' material i.e. stuff that hasn't been played lately, is cracking. Stuff like Sin City, Live Wire, That's the way I wanna Rock 'n' Roll, Riff Riff (!!!), Stiff Upper Lip, Let Me Put My Love Into You, Walk All Over You, Rock 'N' Roll Damnation etc. I could go on. AC/DC's back catalog has so much killer stuff that may, sadly, never be heard played by the ones who wrote and I think it's a shame.

Brian gave an answer to this, why they don't alter the set, saying that it would throw their lighting and sound guys out of whack. I have to call nonsense on that. AC/DC's tour is a big operation, yes, but they no doubt have some of the best and most experienced guys working on their tour. And where's the intricacy in AC/DC's show? It's nowhere that I can see. They're about as set and forget a band as there ever was. There's almost no choreographed lights and there's not a multitude of instruments to be monitoring. Tons of big bands play different setlists night after night seemingly without too much problem. You kind of have to do it to keep from going spare. It's definitely an issue for me with AC/DC that their act has undergone minimal alteration in 25 years. It's a kick-arse act, but, back to point A, they have a lot of amazing 'back catalog' material that needs one more airing before they hang it up, That is, if they still have the muster to pull it off!
    Have to agree about the set lists. I guess though, they have to pick tracks that work for Brian, bearing in mind he has to get his voice through tours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I always give Metallica abuse for playing the same songs and playing them in the same positions night after night but because AC/DC only tour once every 5 years or so, they can get away with it.

It would be nice though if Let There Be Rock and Rosie weren't that last songs in the set and Highway to Hell/FTATR (WSY) the encores for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

Some stuff from the "Ballbreaker" album would be top class. Great great album.

+1 on the rest of the post.

http://youtu.be/JDHXRXhlsaI?t=3m24s :D
    McDave wrote: »
    Have to agree about the set lists. I guess though, they have to pick tracks that work for Brian, bearing in mind he has to get his voice through tours.

But if you look at their usual setlist, it reads more like a 'best of', not like a bunch of songs that were selected to be easy on Brian's voice. I suspect the real reason is just a lot of songs means a lot of remembering to be done. AC/DC are a band that kind of prides themselves on never really putting a foot wrong live. If you read about the personalities of the Young brothers, it comes up again and again that, although it's rock'n'roll, they're ultra serious about their craft and they're sticklers for perfection. Especially, I had never heard Malcolm audibly hit a wrong chord. I know the music's relatively simple but sometimes that's all the more cause for mistakes from falling asleep at the wheel. Brian will be sometimes a bit flat, and Angus might miss a note on a half improv solo, but that's decoration. Structurally, though, in terms of the groove and the general consistency, the band is almost robotic, except robots probably couldn't rock that good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Yeah and they should retire You Shook Me All Night Long and Thunderstruck completely, maybe I'm being a bit of a hipster but they've some other songs that are far better like If You Want Blood, there's a great live version of it on the Plug Me In DVD Johnson's well able to do it

Would like to see Sink the Pink and Who Made Who but Rudd has probably never played them so I don't think they'll bother with either.

Would like to see Sink the Pink and Who Made Who but Rudd has probably never played them so I don't think they'll bother with either.

I don't think the drums in any AC/Dc song is too complex so I'd say Phil would have no problem handling them. But moot point as they wouldn't be considered 'greatest hits' so would never be under consideration anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,472 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I always give Metallica abuse for playing the same songs and playing them in the same positions night after night

Metallica play a different set night after night.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »
    Metallica play a different set night after night.

I know but they always finish the main set with NEM and ES and have S&D as the last song. Yawn

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I don't think the drums in any AC/Dc song is too complex so I'd say Phil would have no problem handling them. But moot point as they wouldn't be considered 'greatest hits' so would never be under consideration anyway.

I'm not saying he wouldn't be able I mean it's more a case of they couldn't be arsed, there some songs they might have re-learn how to play cos they haven't played them in over 20 years but their attitude is 'f*ck it, let's stick to what we know'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

AC/DC would probably never say this is their last tour, but you have to think it's likely. It'll probably never happen, but by god do I wish they'd dust off some 'b' material for this one. Firstly, their 'b' material i.e. stuff that hasn't been played lately, is cracking. Stuff like Sin City, Live Wire, That's the way I wanna Rock 'n' Roll, Riff Riff (!!!), Stiff Upper Lip, Let Me Put My Love Into You, Walk All Over You, Rock 'N' Roll Damnation etc. I could go on. AC/DC's back catalog has so much killer stuff that may, sadly, never be heard played by the ones who wrote and I think it's a shame.

What an opening to If You Want Blood, really gets the blood pumping (excuse the pun).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭LETS GET NAKED

Would love to hear something off stiff upper lip. Would also be happy if they kept rock and roll train in the setlist for the next tour.

Was delighted to get dog eat dog in the setlist on the black ice tour and high voltage in the 2010 tour. There was some great ones in the stiff upper lip tour, problem child, bad boy boogie, what do you do for money honey, upto my neck in you.

Apparently stiff upper lip, hard as a rock and bad boy boogie were rehearsed for the black ice tour and but never played, hopefully they fit one or two of them in this time (and they could as they played 4/5 songs from black ice each night on that tour).

Getting more and more excited for the announcement now.

Would love to hear something off stiff upper lip. Would also be happy if they kept rock and roll train in the setlist for the next tour.

Was delighted to get dog eat dog in the setlist on the black ice tour and high voltage in the 2010 tour. There was some great ones in the stiff upper lip tour, problem child, bad boy boogie, what do you do for money honey, upto my neck in you.

Apparently stiff upper lip, hard as a rock and bad boy boogie were rehearsed for the black ice tour and but never played, hopefully they fit one or two of them in this time (and they could as they played 4/5 songs from black ice each night on that tour).

Getting more and more excited for the announcement now.

Rock n Roll Train is a classic song and warrants inclusion, but they could leave it out and be none the worse off, in my opinion. I'd like to hear it, and a number of others of course, but it's just the point I'm making of how deep their repertoire is. They could make about 3 totally different setlists out of all their best tunes.

http://youtu.be/JDHXRXhlsaI?t=3m24s :D

But if you look at their usual setlist, it reads more like a 'best of', not like a bunch of songs that were selected to be easy on Brian's voice. I suspect the real reason is just a lot of songs means a lot of remembering to be done. AC/DC are a band that kind of prides themselves on never really putting a foot wrong live. If you read about the personalities of the Young brothers, it comes up again and again that, although it's rock'n'roll, they're ultra serious about their craft and they're sticklers for perfection. Especially, I had never heard Malcolm audibly hit a wrong chord. I know the music's relatively simple but sometimes that's all the more cause for mistakes from falling asleep at the wheel. Brian will be sometimes a bit flat, and Angus might miss a note on a half improv solo, but that's decoration. Structurally, though, in terms of the groove and the general consistency, the band is almost robotic, except robots probably couldn't rock that good.
    The other thing to bear in mind is that from BIB on they produced a lot of material for larger venues. The earlier Bon stuff worked really well in more intimate venues. There was literally only the band, some lighting, the songs, and Bon and Angus's antics. And lots of hard work. With excellent versions of the songs themselves.

Post-1980 it's been a bit different, with bigger songs, stage gimmicks, and in later years Brian's voice fading a bit. He really wheezes out a lot of the songs.

The other thing to bear in mind is that from BIB on they produced a lot of material for larger venues. The earlier Bon stuff worked really well in more intimate venues. There was literally only the band, some lighting, the songs, and Bon and Angus's antics. And lots of hard work. With excellent versions of the songs themselves.

Post-1980 it's been a bit different, with bigger songs, stage gimmicks, and in later years Brian's voice fading a bit. He really wheezes out a lot of the songs.

I think the songs that were popular in Bon's time would go down well anywhere, stadium or club.

I often wonder what course AC/DC's sound would have taken had Bon lived. Certainly there's no doubting that they became bigger, harder and more anthemic sounding in the early 80s. I wonder was that by-product of Brian joining, with his harder voice, or a way they were going anyway? I would put it forward that by 1980, with the band firing on all cylinders, Bon's voice would have the weak link of the band's sound. His lyrics would have been great, though.

I think the songs that were popular in Bon's time would go down well anywhere, stadium or club.

I often wonder what course AC/DC's sound would have taken had Bon lived. Certainly there's no doubting that they became bigger, harder and more anthemic sounding in the early 80s. I wonder was that by-product of Brian joining, with his harder voice, or a way they were going anyway? I would put it forward that by 1980, with the band firing on all cylinders, Bon's voice would have the weak link of the band's sound. His lyrics would have been great, though.
    Mutt Lange was already taking them in the anthemic, big production, radio friendly direction.

On Bon's voice, it was never better than on HTH. If he had gone with the flow for the following album, he would have gone one step further. The only misgiving I would have had was that maybe his lifestyle would have still have done for him. He looked older than his years towards the end.

Even if he'd cleaned up and hit the gym (!), he would still have had rough edges. How those would have played with mass markets is anyone's guess. But as a performer, I think he could have handled it if he had committed to taking better care of himself.

All told, I think Scott was a big loss. Brian was a good replacement in the circumstances. But after February 1980, AC/DC lost much of their essence. Still a great band, but perhaps with just a bit of blandness they'd never had up till then.

Oh, to see them somewhere intimate like Vicar Street. With Angus in normal kacks. Closing with 'Stormy May Day'. :pac:

Oh, to see them somewhere intimate like Vicar Street. With Angus in normal kacks. Closing with 'Stormy May Day'. :pac:

Weird to think that AC/DC will probably never play another small venue again. They aren't the kind of band that does secret shows or anything like that, which is a shame, but then they are AC/DC and they can do what they like either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

He really wheezes out a lot of the songs.

I didnt notice this much when I saw them live but when watching the live show from Rio on blu-ray, Brian was actually running out of air especially as the pace picked up.

Era fair play to him belting out the notes. Kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Weird to think that AC/DC will probably never play another small venue again. They aren't the kind of band that does secret shows or anything like that, which is a shame, but then they are AC/DC and they can do what they like either way.

About as close to a secret DC show as your likely to get, Brian & Cliff at The Irish Rover pub in Florida...wasted on the yanks

• Advertisement

I didnt notice this much when I saw them live but when watching the live show from Rio on blu-ray, Brian was actually running out of air especially as the pace picked up.

Era fair play to him belting out the notes. Kudos.
    Similarly on the SUL DVD. Flawless performance overall, but Brian has to put in a huge effort to deliver the vocals. It's not a criticism. It's great he's still performing - at this stage of their careers, the band wouldn't be credible without him, especially now that Malcolm has gone.

scudzilla wrote: »
    About as close to a secret DC show as your likely to get, Brian & Cliff at The Irish Rover pub in Florida...wasted on the yanks

I'd settle for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Highway to Hell got the X Factor treatment last night, whilst the guy has a good voice it wasn't a patch on the guys.

I was surprised to hear it, I thought AC/DC were very strict about control of their music, didn't think they'd leave it be used for X Factor.

Roanmore wrote: »
    Highway to Hell got the X Factor treatment last night, whilst the guy has a good voice it wasn't a patch on the guys.

I was surprised to hear it, I thought AC/DC were very strict about control of their music, didn't think they'd leave it be used for X Factor.

Didn't Shania Twain or someone like that cover You Shook Me All Night Long a few years back? Whoever it was, I remember they changed the line "she told me to come" to something else.

Didn't Shania Twain or someone like that cover You Shook Me All Night Long a few years back? Whoever it was, I remember they changed the line "she told me to come" to something else.

Haven't heard that but I was traumatised after seeing this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1niTEkP-6eo::

Haven't heard that but I was traumatised after seeing this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1niTEkP-6eo::

It gets worse!

It gets worse!

You win but at least she can be excused as she was married to Mutt:D

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭colmufc

as long as you don't change the lyrics or the style of the song it can be covered by anyone without permission , it's when it's too be used for an ad or video game or movie that permission has to be seeked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

I can see Anastacia doing a good version on her own, but those versions are horrific!

Advertisement