Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NBA Offseason 2014

1363738394042»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

A very obvious attempt to rile people up or else a shocking assessment of a player, I hope it's the first one to be honest.
    I think this poster has been down this road before if I am not mistaken, on more than one occasion...

Please refrain from accusing someone of trolling/being a troll. That's a warning for everyone. I don't want a repeat of last seasons crap. If I think a post is overstepping the mark then I'll deal with it. If you don't like a post, report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Another great game from Rose last night in the final pre-season game. Got that floater going, which he was deadly with a couple of years ago, but hadn't been too consistent with post-injury. Good to see.

Butler didn't play with a sprained thumb, hopefully he's back for the regular season opener on Wednesday. Madison Square Garden, and I think there might be a slight edge to the Bulls' play to show Melo what he turned down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Is it against charter rules to repost a non members thoughts on a certain post? A certain someone has spoken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

buyer95 wrote: »
    Is it against charter rules to repost a non members thoughts on a certain post? A certain someone has spoken.

If that someone is Ade and it's about DRD then leave it off. It adds nothing to this discussion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

buyer95 wrote: »

Yeah not a chance in hell we're opening that mess up again.Thought we'd moved well past it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

I just opened a 14/15 regular season thread. The off-season is over. NBA is back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,407 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

nerd69 wrote: »
    at least the celtics have there history shure the iggles will have there super bowl (first of many) in the next few years anyway under his chipness

how do you feel about the celtics this year yourself

I think they will have to be better than last year as I said they would be. I think brad Stevens is a good coach and with having rondo for nearly all the season will help and the good players we have have a year more under their belts so that has to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭nerd69

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I think they will have to be better than last year as I said they would be. I think brad Stevens is a good coach and with having rondo for nearly all the season will help and the good players we have have a year more under their belts so that has to help.
    I think rondos gone I'm afraid last season of his contract and I don't think he will want to stick around for a rebuild. So we will probably have to trade him and we probably won't be happy with the trade

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I don't think he will go down as a great player. Should never have been given MVPs, No defensive skills, Completely overrated player. No jersey in any rafters, No place in the hall of fame

Rebuttal #2: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2243240-howard-beck-on-why-steve-nash-is-a-lock-to-be-a-first-ballot-hall-of-famer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I understand it is fun to compare players and I get the arguments. When a guy like Nash retires (or is forced out in this case), I like to take time to reflect on what said player contributed to the game.

In Nash's case he changed the way the game was played and made team ball "fun" and "in vogue" again. Teams started to move away from one on one isos and went to team ball after watching Nash and Phoenix and the early 2000s Sacramento teams.

Yes, Nash had his flaws, but he was a remarkable player who played the game the right way and was a ton of fun to watch. Right now I am content paying homage to Nash. In a while I may begin to ponder his place in history and compare him to other players, but now is not the time, at least for me.

• Advertisement

1st ballot my ass. The man had no defense. He couldn't even guard his own man in those so called MVP seasons. He had to have Shawn Marrion guard the opposition point guard.

A player with no rings.who had good teammates and couldn't lead them to even one conference title

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

1st ballot my ass. The man had no defense. He couldn't even guard his own man in those so called MVP seasons. He had to have Shawn Marrion guard the opposition point guard.

A player with no rings.who had good teammates and couldn't lead them to even one conference title

That piece in bold really grinds my gears.
    It's no way to measure a players quality at all.
    Chris Mullen- No ring
    Chris Webber- No ring
    Charles Barkley- No ring
    Reggie Miller- No ring
    Vince Carter- No ring
    Grant Hill- No ring
    Chris Paul- No ring(so far)
    Dwight Howard- No ring(so far)

All pretty much guarenteed Hall of Famers.

I'm not going to entertain this nonsense.

So you don't consider the following as great players because they have no rings?

John Stockton
    Karl Malone
    Patrick Ewing
    Charles Barkley

If you're going to make an argument about something make sure it has some basis in reality.
    Rings don't always make great players. Just remember how many Mark Madsen has with the Lakers.

Felexicon wrote: »
    So you don't consider the following as great players because they have no rings?

John Stockton
    Karl Malone
    Patrick Ewing
    Charles Barkley

If you're going to make an argument about something make sure it has some basis in reality.
    Rings don't always make great players. Just remember how many Mark Madsen has with the Lakers.

Luke Walton has two rings ffs.

Bottom line. Last time I'll post on Nash. He was an overratted player. Good, not great. Awarded 2 very questionable MVPs in his career. Both undeserved in my opinion.

Bottom line. Last time I'll post on Nash. He was an overratted player. Good, not great. Awarded 2 very questionable MVPs in his career. Both undeserved in my opinion.

Why do you think they were undeserved? I think in those 2 seasons Nash was the MVP. If you took him off those Phoenix teams and replaced him with any other point guard in the league it wouldn't have worked as well. It was like Nash, D'Antoni, 7 seconds or less and Amare created some kind of perfect storm where everything clicked and a new style of NBA basketball was created where it wasn't all about set plays and isolations. It was a great time to watch basketball, so what if they didn't get a ring, I had a great time watching them try

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭nerd69

Honest quiestion did you watch the nba when Nash played and did you watch much of the Suns at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

After an amazing off-season and seeing that the NBA Season is now officially underway, there's no reason for this to be open so I'm going to lock this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement