Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quantity Surveyor Wage

• 02-11-2010 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

Not sure if I'm in the correct thread or even if boards allows this question!

I'm a quantity Surveyor, working full-time for the past 3.5 years in a PQS office. I work in a very small practice (but very very busy, loads of work), just the boss and myself. The problem is I have no idea how much I should be earning (actually I've never really known from the beginning). The firm is based in the Midlands.

If there are any QS's out there can you please give me an idea what you think I should be earning. You can pm me if you don't want it public.

The reason I'm asking is I'm becoming very agitated and feel like it's time to move on but I also what to know has the boss been taking the piss out of me regards money these last 3.5 years.

I'm on € 27,560 gross.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

€25k would be a graduate salary . If you are 3.5 years on from graduate then maybe €30 k .

However ....

In this climate if you are earning constantly you really are not doing so bad . Perhaps you need to move on for other reasons .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

As a quantity surveyor with over 12 years experience running my own company I would advise you to stay where you are and be happy with your lot. There is little or no work in Ireland for quanity surveyors at present and if you leave you will more than likly have to emigrate.

about 5 years ago someone in your position would have been looking for 35-40k and more as there was a sever shortage in QS's but today there is simply no work so 27k is better that 10k on the dole.

You could always have a chat with your employer and you might be suprised if your worth it to him you might be able to arrange some sort of solution

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Tefral

Id stay where you are!!

Theres no work about for people to get into companies, they are making do with what they have.

Im a QS with a fairly large Firm, I started off out of college 3 years ago with more than you are on now..

Im working a three day week so earning considerably less now..

To put things into perspective, only 1 of my mates who i went to college with is in full time employment in QS'ing in Ireland, The rest are on 3 day weeks or out of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

Thanks for the response so far.

I'd just like to say first that there are other factors that are making be think about moving, not just the money. I just wanted to get peoples opinions on if they thought I was 5k, 10k below what I should be getting after 3.5 years.

I plan to say something to the boss because we're busier now than 3 years ago (I know, we buckle the trend!), I see invoices going out every month with many zeros and I just feel like he's taking the biscuit with what I'm being paid.

(I don't plan on looking for another qs job in Ireland, if I do take the step, I'm looking abroad)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

hblock21 wrote: »
    (other factors that are making be think about moving, not just the money. ..... I don't plan on looking for another qs job in Ireland, if I do take the step, I'm looking abroad)

If you are young and restless just leave on good terms . Go to Oz or Canada and have a blast . But make sure you burn no bridges .

If you squeeze more €€€ now and leave in 6 months ....not good .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

TI plan to say something to the boss because we're busier now than 3 years ago (I know, we buckle the trend!), I see invoices going out every month with many zeros and I just feel like he's taking the biscuit with what I'm being paid.

Never mind the invoices, its the cheques that arrive in the door that really matter and pay the bills (and your wages).How many of the invoices are paid in full each month, how many partially paid and how many not at all paid.

There's many a QS or other construction professional who would gladly take 27,500 a year at the moment with 10/15/20 years experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

sinnerboy wrote: »
    If you are young and restless just leave on good terms . Go to Oz or Canada and have a blast . But make sure you burn no bridges .

If you squeeze more €€€ now and leave in 6 months ....not good .

Yes I'm young but I'm not the person to squander money down in Oz !

Very good advice about looking for more money and then leaving in 6 months, I'll take that on board. I definitely would not like to leave on bad terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yes I'm young but I'm not the person to squander money down in Oz !
    One man's squander...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I started off on 25K in 2005 and did 2 years in Ireland after which I was on 32/33K

I then left for OZ and I am now in NZ, I would be delighted to come home and work for 20K give how fukked the situation is there.
    Stay where you are and get the experience I would say, its not all about the money. Give it another year and see how you are feeling then.

As someone else said, invoices are all well and good but there are alot of cnuts in the construction industry who dont pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mickeyie05

hey just to butt in this conversation... i started with a qs firm over here in london...in the interview i was asked how much would i be looking for.. i said around 25-26k...i got given 20k....... im working with the firm since late august and considering asking for an increase to what i orginially asked for.... what should a graduate qs start on???.... I work for a contractor by the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 SteakandKidney

Wages in London are not the best compared to what they were like in Ireland back 4-5 years ago. The one thing I would say is I know trainees who are on between 18-21K depending on their level of college work done. 20K seems a little small considering you are qualified but I would not be expecting any more than maybe 23K. If I were you I would stick out with the firm for at least a year, it always looks better when trying to get another position. What type of construction do the firm mostly do?

we are a main contractor in top 50 in the uk

You aren't going to get a raise.
    Had you of said 30, they would of given you maybe 22/23k

Basically, the person being hired will (or should) say the top of his range if given the option.
    The employer will pay them less than their top end price. It's just the current market.

If I was in ireland now, i'd prob be paid less than my graduate salary. Which was good as graduates go, but its depressing all the same.
    when i return the current weak euro will makes my australian salary very high, which is probably a good thing in terms of future jobs..

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

It's the not the worst wage to be honest considering the current grim state of the construction industry in Ireland.

If you feel you need to move on ,then overseas is your only option. I'd highly recommend Canada, the industry here is fairly buoyant.

I was considering asking after 8mths working tere or would that be too soon?? also how often should you normally get a salary review any way??

In the good times, every 6 months or 12 months. But that's not going to happen now.

By all means ask if you think it won't offend or cause problems, you might get it, but don't expect it.

I think i will ask in april after i have been tere 8 months... my arguement would be that i asked for 26k in the interview and id expect thats as half my monthly pay is gone after rent and travel. Id also say i have been offered three jobs since commencing one them being with a global company and that i have stayed loyal to them and i expect the loyalty back plus they work the bollox off me too as my project manager has said to me ive been severely thrown in the deep end but so im not failing. Another point is that i am commencing my chartership in may and im paying for that out of my own pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I think early on, your most valuable earning will be the experience, most employers stick 5 years on to there job advertisements. 8 months in is an odd time to ask, is there a review around this point ? Most employers wouldn't consider a year a very long time for somebody working for them.

What do you mean stick 5years on the advertisement? There is no set time for your annual review so if you don't ask they won't come looking to give you one. WHAT would your advise be

Yo seem to be under the impression that you are entitled to a raise.
    Foolish if so, imo

• Advertisement

No Im not saying that at all I'm saying its not financially viable to live on that in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Mickeyie05 wrote: »
    What do you mean stick 5years on the advertisement? There is no set time for your annual review so if you don't ask they won't come looking to give you one. WHAT would your advise be

What I mean by 5 years experience is, if you go look up job positions you can almost always see "5 years experience" tacked on as a requirement. Experience will be your most valuable earning for the first few years.

Reviews wise, its possible not to get a date fixed in stone for the next review (Dependent on the employer really I guess). I would consider myself 8 months a kind of odd time, unless theres a specific reason such as contract etc.

If I was in that situation I would probably keep going to the year mark and carefully ask for the possibilities of a raise, if everything else about the work and work environment was ok.

It's more viable than the dole, I live in an expensive city too, while I'd like more money, I prob need more money, I am aware how much worse off I could be

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭gtrizy

Anyone like to update the graduate wages in the current market?

I'm in my third year and plan on doing the fourth to get a level 8 so I can eventually become chartered, so how are things looking for graduates now?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

your chances of getting a job have much improved but wages are flat and will be 20-30k at best starting. get as much experience as you can early on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

kkelliher wrote: »
    your chances of getting a job have much improved but wages are flat and will be 20-30k at best starting. get as much experience as you can early on.

And get the level 8. You will be thankful in later life ;)

gtrizy wrote: »

I'm in my third year and plan on doing the fourth to get a level 8 so I can eventually become chartered, so how are things looking for graduates now?

Get yourself s LinkedIn profile if you haven't got one. I'm not a grad but I'm getting pestered by recruiters on there for jobs in Dublin.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

cronin_j wrote: »
    Get yourself s LinkedIn profile if you haven't got one. I'm not a grad but I'm getting pestered by recruiters on there for jobs in Dublin.

As soon as I updated my LinkedIn profile to my current job, I've been getting the same. But for the UK. Building control in the UK seems to be on a massive recruitment drive.

kceire wrote: »
    As soon as I updated my LinkedIn profile to my current job, I've been getting the same. But for the UK. Building control in the UK seems to be on a massive recruitment drive.

I'm getting the same for London. I was a QS there's for a bit and they are sending me stuff the whole time. Salary seems to be good. Wouldn't go back though unless I had to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

gtrizy wrote: »

I know lads who graduated last May. Just give you a rough idea of what they started on.

1)Dublin wage is €30k a year,top 5 contractor
    2)Galway wage is €28k a year,top 5 contractor
    3)London wage is £30k a year

This is what the 3 lads I know are getting now, they all went different routes.Sisk does a graduate program in the UK and the starting wage is £30k sterling.

Advertisement