Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love Rosie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Laugh away at me, I'm a sucker for cheesy romantic nonsense like this. Specially since the best of me was such a disappointment, this looks a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,752 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Lily Collins looks about 12 for the whole film despite many years having passed

Its gonna be great I know it. To be fair she is only 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 cynicaljam

My mum claims to be an extra in the hospital scenes as a woman with a broken arm in a cast, sitting in a wheel chair whilst her on-screen son holds her handbag. Anybody confirm if such an extra was even featured or did she get cut? I know she was definitely at the filming but once they've paid her for being an extra they can cut her footage whenever they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Went to see this last night!! Felt it was very loosely based on where rainbows end, didn't feel like they stuck too close to the book. I enjoyed it, it was a good movie. Bits of it were a bit eh, and I'd have liked to see more of the end than all the stuff in the middle.

• Advertisement

Well I loved it. Exactly what I expected and wanted.

Also filmed in Dublin, which I didn't know/Kinda cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

Loved the film but head was a little messed up by the location. One minute the dad was Irish working in the Shelbourne, the next they lived on a street with a red postbox and she had an English passport. It was just so messed up that I wished they had just based it completely in England as I am guessing they couldn't get the actors to do the accents right.

It wasn't actually marked as the shelbourne though, I assumed they just used it as a fancy hotel for filming :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

cloud493 wrote: »
    It wasn't actually marked as the shelbourne though, I assumed they just used it as a fancy hotel for filming :P

But then she gets on Dublin bus I believe?

She gets on a bus :p not specified its dublin bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 cynicaljam

I think you'd know Dublin Bus if you seen it, mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Lily Collins looks about 12 for the whole film despite many years having passed

Went to see this with the girlfriend (it was her choice not mine :pac: ) and even this put her off, Collins 12 year old daughter in the film almost looked as old as her :pac:. Although she is rather a likeable lead (I still think they should have got slightly older leads although Claflin looked the part) but I never understand why they couldn't have kept the characters Irish Cause it's so Dublin when you watch it plus her dad is Irish can actors these days not do a passable Irish accent.

Sam Claflin did an ok job as a Hugh Grant like (check out The Riot Club for Claflin at his best, I think he's far more comfortable playing a nasty git). I didn't know Collin's baby daddy and cheating husband was played by the lad from the underrated Ricky Gervais film Cemetery Junction. Jaime Winstone was rather good as the friend. Not the Worst romantic film of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,752 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Collins was the weak link of the cast, she was terrible

I would have preferred the setting was actually Dublin as it was filmed there but I guess the actors couldn't do an Irish accent and it is not like there is Irish actors and actresses :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Collins was the weak link of the cast, she was terrible

I would have preferred the setting was actually Dublin as it was filmed there but I guess the actors couldn't do an Irish accent and it is not like there is Irish actors and actresses :rolleyes:

Plenty of Irish actors but we do have a lack of Irish actresses making headways in acting world outside Ireland. I can see why they chose Lily Collins (although her track record hasn't been great) she's a IT girl in Hollywood right now, I don't think she was awful to be fair, although I think they should have got someone to play her part when her character got older.

But I agree they should have got them to do the characters as irish if not then why didn't they not film it in the UK as its cheaper there to film.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭micks_address

Watching this tonight on Netflix and quite enjoying it...

Why though when it's obviously set in Ireland does she have a British passport and there's a couple of lines to the British guy... Speaking like English people etc...

Watching this tonight on Netflix and quite enjoying it...

Why though when it's obviously set in Ireland does she have a British passport and there's a couple of lines to the British guy... Speaking like English people etc...

Also where is the hotel at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭sporina

i watched this today (sick day)..

don't usually watch rom coms but i enjoyed it for what it was..

BUT - what on earth is the story with the choice of actors and locations?

If they wanted mostly UK actors why not have it set in the UK?

As it was filmed mostly in Ireland, why not have Irish actors?

Twas v distracting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

sporina wrote: »
    i watched this today (sick day)..

don't usually watch rom coms but i enjoyed it for what it was..

BUT - what on earth is the story with the choice of actors and locations?

If they wanted mostly UK actors why not have it set in the UK?

As it was filmed mostly in Ireland, why not have Irish actors?

Twas v distracting.

International co-productions - sometimes called "europuddings" for their blandness and lack of authenticity - tend to be like this. You'll find most recent Irish films that aren't explicitly sold as "Irish" are the same. There are some transatlantic examples of it as well. It's partly due to the financing (if there's UK money involved they'll want British actors, etc) but it's also about marketing to a growing audience of urban middle class westerners with little sense of national identity so the less culturally specific it is the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭sporina

International co-productions - sometimes called "europuddings" for their blandness and lack of authenticity - tend to be like this. You'll find most recent Irish films that aren't explicitly sold as "Irish" are the same. There are some transatlantic examples of it as well. It's partly due to the financing (if there's UK money involved they'll want British actors, etc) but it's also about marketing to a growing audience of urban middle class westerners with little sense of national identity so the less culturally specific it is the better.

awe ok -uk involvement adds up alright.. seems a shame though - i guess little thought was given to the irish audience - as we would notice it - whereas other nationalities would not

sporina wrote: »
    awe ok -uk involvement adds up alright.. seems a shame though - i guess little thought was given to the irish audience - as we would notice it - whereas other nationalities would not

Yeah I guess paid for by a UK company..

• Advertisement
Advertisement