Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When is too early?

• 25-10-2014 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

i really want to put up my christmas tree this weekend or next weekend but my oh is totally against it... when do my fellow christmas lovers put their trees up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

No way!, December at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

Never before the 8th of December

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I put mine up the last weekend of November. Wait until after Halloween for sure then you're free to go christmas mad. You'll fit in with shops and adverts on tv in November.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Please bear in mind that this is a forum for Christmas lovers.
    Anti-Christmas posts are not welcome and will be deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭abutler101

We don't put ours up until the week before Christmas, it makes Christmas seem more special when it is just up for a short while, having it up for a month or even two months before hand just drags out the holidays too much I think.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Last year mine went up on the 23rd, now even that was late for us!

If you want to put it up OP then do, I'd just be worried about you getting sick of it by the time Christmas actually comes round.

If you want to then go right ahead.

Be sure to post lots of pics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I MIGHT be getting my tree and decorations from a storage facility next Thursday :D (I live in a bedsit)
    I already have small Christmas decorations up and my presents wrapped already :D

No, its not too early... Ill be busy from 2 weeks from now onwards with a course, and I doubt ill have a chance to think about putting décor during it... : )
    Its your house, you do what you want.... if you want Christmas all year round, you do it....! : )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 slimshady14

Christmas was a marketing campagin to get people to buy more. Why celebrate it?

What did I just say about anti-Christmas posts?!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

ene wrote: »
    i really want to put up my christmas tree this weekend or next weekend but my oh is totally against it... when do my fellow christmas lovers put their trees up?

There are 12 days of Xmas. Not 12 months.

Wod you not rather it was an 'occasion'? Your OH sounds smart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

i think i want it up so early as its our first christmas in our own place and oh is working on christmas so i have to fly home and leave her here which makes me sad, i think this year the run up to christmas is more important then the day and i think i just want to start the run up!

also i feel i will keep buying decorations until the tree s up so its a money saving tactic mostly

I start to put mine up mid-November. :)
    The Christmas lights are up in Dublin city centre already!

endacl wrote: »
    There are 12 days of Xmas. Not 12 months.
    The 12 days of Christmas don't actually start until December 25th! But most people put their decorations up before Christmas Day!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 slimshady14

Posy wrote: »
    What did I just say about anti-Christmas posts?!

You said people love christmas. I say people are idiots that put up their decorations months in advance. Can you not remember what you posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

ene wrote: »
    i think i want it up so early as its our first christmas in our own place and oh is working on christmas so i have to fly home and leave her here which makes me sad, i think this year the run up to christmas is more important then the day and i think i just want to start the run up!

also i feel i will keep buying decorations until the tree s up so its a money saving tactic mostly

It's daft. No matter what way you try to justify it. Listen to your OH.

Can you not remember what you posted?
    I asked people not to come into this forum and post anti-Christmas posts.

You just said that people are idiots who put up their decorations months in advance.
    You also said that Christmas is merely a marketing campagin to get people to buy more.
    You asked why bother to celebrate it at all?

If that was you being pro-Christmas, I'd hate to see you being anti-Christmas.

Please do not post here again, slimshady14. I'd hate to have to ban you before I've even got my Christmas tree up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I love Christmas. While I don't post here all year round, I do post in the run up to Christmas. For various reasons our trees went up late for us last year. Still early by 'normals' standards though. 12th IIRC. Being that late it almost felt like it wasn't as worth the effort. So I certainly cannot agree with the people who don't put it up earlier for fear of the decorations out staying their welcome. That's one extreme. However there is another extreme even for a Christmas lover like myself, and that's putting up the decorations anytime before the last week in November!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Mid November is when my mum puts up the first one. She normally has three up and decorated by the start if December and puts lights on the outside tree and fence out the front.
    She's Xmas all and has us all like that.

I love it

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

ok so the general consensus is to wait till at least mid november....

i will try my best!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

A friend of mine from work is American so in work we put up our Christmas tree on Thanksgiving which is the last Thursday of November, 27th this year. Then at home I've made it tradition to start putting up the decorations on the night of the toyshow which just happens to be the day after! So I'll be doing plenty of decorating that week! 🎄⛄️ðŸŽ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Any time before the 1st of December is too early....

....my wife tells me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Its a family tradition that we put it up on the day of the Toy show. When the kids get home from school the decorations are out it's already started by the Mrs and we finish it together, only one for santa this year but I can see us doing this for years to come. We also treat them with a take away, something we never normally do and crash in front of the telly for the night.,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Definitely too early OP, you'd be sick of it by end of November and I think the tree and decorations get a bit dusty and sad looking if they're up too long. I would say no earlier than last week of November. Makes it more special. Keep buying the decorations, the anticipation is the fun part! Congrats on your new home with your partner!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

1st December for us, or maybe the weekend before if we can find someone to sell us a real tree. Christmas hats, jumpers and songs are however permissible from 1st November.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 danceash

usually 8th of December for us, I love christmas but wouldn't put it up any earlier than that. I just love the anticipation and excitement of waiting!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I love christmas, but i wont put the tree up till at least a week into december. If its up too early it becomes just a thing in the corner taking up space by christmas. Whereas i feel like if it goes up a few weeks before christmas it really gets the buzz going in the house at the right time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

The rule for us is the first Saturday in December, some of the neighbours go earlier but if they go up in November, by early January you they are dusty and you get a bit bored of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

We put ours up the weekend of the toy show.

Was in a nightclub on Saturday night and they played a Christmas song!!! As much as I like Christmas it's still too early for Christmas songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

Our stuff is going up on the 14-15th November, thats the weekend here. We are doing it so early as we will be leaving for Ireland on the 18th Dec and want to get a month out of them before we go.

We will also have a Christmas dinner and party at our place before heading home. Turkey on the braai and cold beers by the pool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Jude13 wrote: »
    Our stuff is going up on the 14-15th November, thats the weekend here. We are doing it so early as we will be leaving for Ireland on the 18th Dec and want to get a month out of them before we go.

We will also have a Christmas dinner and party at our place before heading home. Turkey on the braai and cold beers by the pool

Aaaaw that's so lovely - coming home for Christmas; you must be so excited!

Advertisement