Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Know Your Elves - #8 AlanS181824

• 17-10-2014 6:27am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Good morning and happy Friday one and all! Week 8 wow, two months in and we're going strong!

Right I'll kick things off,

What brought you to the christmas forum?
    Favourite christmas movie?
    Favourite christmas song?
    Favourite part of the Christmas dinner?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Hello all,

Delighted it's finally my turn! I hope you all have lots of questions to ask! :)
    Loughc wrote: »
    Good morning and happy Friday one and all! Week 8 wow, two months in and we're going strong!

Right I'll kick things off,

1.) What brought you to the christmas forum?
    2.) Favourite christmas movie?
    3.) Favourite christmas song?
    4.) Favourite part of the Christmas dinner?

1.) I remember one year I was a bit upset as our tree wasn't up yet and I remember seeing the Show Your Christmas Tree thread, that really caught my attention!

That started it all for me.

I really love this forum, it's always so happy and cheerful, it's also great to know that there are other people who love Christmas just as much as I do! :)

It's a magical forum for a great time of year!

2.) Oh wow there's so many... Bad Santa, Elf, Grinch are the few that spring to mind.

Honestly, I like most Christmas films, anyany film with snow and set at Christmas time, I find it so magical!

3.) Little Drummer Boy would definitely be in my top 2. I remember hearing it in a pub when I was younger and just remember thinking..."It's Christmas time!"

Of course Fairytale Of New York is a favourite aswell.

4.) The dinner itself is obviously great but my favourite would probably be the leftovers. There's something about a cold turkey sandwich that I just love.

Dessert is great too, a lovely trifle to help wash down all the food before...

A turkey sandwich with some stuffing... Mmm...:pac:

Yeah so definitely the leftovers!

Cheers for being the first person to ask me something Lough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭washiskin

Hi Alan

Is it Christmas without a selection box?

What is your favorite selection box?

If you were let loose in all the chocolate factories with a time machine. what would you dream selection box be?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭CarrieAnne

hi...
    What is your earliest Christmas memory or favorite memory??
    C.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

What do you most look forward to every Christmas?

washiskin wrote: »
    Hi Alan

1.) Is it Christmas without a selection box?

2.) What is your favorite selection box?

3.) If you were let loose in all the chocolate factories with a time machine. what would you dream selection box be?

1.) Christmas is of course the main even but a nice selection box only sweetens things! ;)

They're always great to have so you can get something nice to eat while you wait for the actual dinner.

2.) I don't have a favourite but most of the Cadbury ones I like, actual I think a few years ago there was a special Dairy Milk selection box, that probably my favourite!

Milk chocolate... :):):)

3.) This is a very interesting question. I was once at a tour of a chocolate and it was great, so many delicious samples to try, seemed like a very fun job.

I'm not sure about the time machine aspect as nearly all my favourites are thankfully still in circulation.

My dream selection box would probably comprise of:

1 XXL Dairy Milk Bar.
    2 Flakes.
    3 Those little Buttons with the Christmas characters on them.
    4 Twirl.
    5 Crunchy.
    6 Antoine Dairy Milk bar to put in the fridge for later!:pac:

As you can probably tell, I loves me some chocolate! :)

Cheers!

• Advertisement

CarrieAnne wrote: »
    hi...
    1.) What is your earliest Christmas memory or favorite memory??
    C.

1.) This one had me thinking for ages trying to figure out what it was! :pac:

Probably one of my fondest and earliest memories is when myself, my brother and my Mam would always go to my Nanny and Grandads house on Christmas day for our dinner.

I can remember this particular year my Mam and my uncle were talking about the weather and how cold it was and how they were wondering were many people about.

This may seem mundane but it's just a memory I have, I remember getting GTA on the PSP this particular year aswell!

Then when we got to our Nannys house there'd be the usually Happy Christmas greetings and stuff and my cousins would come in for the obligatory.... What'd ye get?

Then we'd sit down for dinner, I don't remember much about the actual dinner but I always remember we'd get my Nannys special Christmas Trifle for dessert.

I always remember me and my brother fighting over who got to lick the spoon!

What do you most look forward to every Christmas?

1.) Oooh, many many things!

The days off for one, getting to spend time with the family, seeing how everyone has been, catching up.

I love how no matter how busy people seem to be they always have time for Christmas.

Getting to spend time with family would definitely be my number 1 but a close second would be the weather.

I absolutely love the cold weather! Most people I know don't like it at all but I love it!

Fog, frost on the car or in the grass making your steps all crunchy or snow... Beautiful white pristine snow... I love it all so much!

I'm going to Germany in November on holidays so I'm hoping for freezing cold weather!:pac:

There's nothing like a night in with your loved ones, a good film, good food, fire going and it snowing outside.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Have you started your Christmas shopping yet?

Real tree or artificial tree?

Does your family have any unusual Christmas traditions?

Would you ever spend Christmas abroad?

Scarinae wrote: »
    1.) Have you started your Christmas shopping yet?

2.) Real tree or artificial tree?

3.) Does your family have any unusual Christmas traditions?

4.) Would you ever spend Christmas abroad?

1.) Nope! I usually don't have a specific time frame, if I see something during Summer I think would be a great prezzie I'd buy it!

I love roaming around town on Christmas Eve though for some last minute things.

2.) Artificial.

We've always had artificial trees since I can remember and personally I think they're the best. Real trees smell great but I find they're very bare looking.

Artificial trees always! :P

3.) Hmm, no real unusual ones that I know of.

We do get up very early (6 o'clock usually) to open our presents but a lot of people do that I think!

Our decorations, much to my dismay always go up late! So i guess you could called that a tradition. Last year I think it was the 22nd or 23rd!

Also, since 2010 when my Grandad died my Nanny and my uncle always come over for dinner. She got a new dog in 2012 around when we got our Ali so she comes along too!

So we've all of us and the 2 dogs, Ali and Lucy in their festive jumpers! :)

4.) I suppose if I really really had to I would but I'd always try to get home.

Presents, money, food all those are just bonuses, Christmas without your loved ones really isn't Christmas.

What good are loads of expensive presents if you've no-one to give them to/ :)

Christmas at home, always.

Cheers.

No one has anymore questions for me? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

What's your typical christmas eve?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Do you usually get much time off over Christmas?

Do you have any festive traditions that it just isn't Christmas without?

Do you prefer coloured lights on your tree or clear lights?

Tinsel- yay or nay?

Do you eat turkey every year for dinner or something a little different?

Loughc wrote: »
    1.) What's your typical christmas eve?

1.) Typical Christmas Eve for me would be get up, get excited (Tomorrow's Christmas Yaaaaaaay!), usually myself and my brother go down town, not usually to buy stuff although the odd last minute present might be got but to roam around town.

I love the atmosphere, people strolling along, all cosy and Christmas music playing, it's magical.

We usually go down town at 4 or sometimes around half 6, spend a few hours roaming around and then head home.

Get home, get everything wrapped and ready, maybe write a card or 2 that's yet to be written.

Then we usually go to the midnight mass, we're not exactly a religious household but I just love Christmas Eve mass, the church is always packed with people, everyone seems so excited.

Also, my church orders several massive cakes which everyone gets a slice of so that's always a plus! :pac:

Then we'd go home, maybe watch a Christmas film or 2 before it's time for bed for an early morning the next day! :D

Posy wrote: »
    1.) Do you usually get much time off over Christmas?

2.) Do you have any festive traditions that it just isn't Christmas without?

3.) Do you prefer coloured lights on your tree or clear lights?

4.) Tinsel- yay or nay?

5.) Do you eat turkey every year for dinner or something a little different?

1.) Yes, thankfully I'm still in school so I get usually from the 23 December - 7 January! :)

2.) Hmm, my Nanny's trifle comes to mind for this, it's probably my favourite dessert, she always makes it but only at Christmas.

I guess also it'd be family. My Nanny and my uncle come to our house for Christmas which I love, so fun to have everyone there. This is probably my favourite thing about Christmas bar the atmosphere.

I love the fact that everyone gets together and are so happy.

3.) Coloured lights definitely, I'll post some pics below of My Mams tree, Dads tree and my Nannys, all of which I had a hand in decorating.

Personally I love a colourful tree with loads of stuff on it, the more colour the better! :)

4.) Massive yay for Tinsel!

I find the tree just looks bare without Tinsel.

5.) Usually we get Turkey, Ham and Roast Beef.

I love a good Turkey sandwich from the leftovers so I'd have to say Turkey always. :pac:

Here are those pics I mentioned earlier.

HjVHTzf.gif
    My own tree, tinsel, knick knacks, colourful lights and all.:P

tZpsuCd.jpg
    Full view of the tree above.

Xspp2bp.gif
    My Dads tree, he prefers just the white lights.

Nvf7Ziq.gif
    My Nannys tree, plain and simple but I like them all.:D

Cheers!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

What was your favourite gift from Santa?

Do you get new pj's for Christmas?

If you could add on 4 hours to one of your Christmassy days which day would it be and what would you do with the extra hours?

eskimocat wrote: »
    1.) What was your favourite gift from Santa?

2.) Do you get new pj's for Christmas?

3.) If you could add on 4 hours to one of your Christmassy days which day would it be and what would you do with the extra hours?

I love these questions, I mention I'm young and I get asked about getting pjs off Santy! Haha anyway.

1.) One of my favouirte would have been my computer or my phone, both are used on a daily basis and I'd be lost without them!:pac:

2.) Not ashamed to admit it, yes I do.

Nothing like a good pair of Christmas pajamas! :pac:

3.) Probably any year when my Grandad was still alive.

He left this world very soon I feel so I've so much left to say.

Christmas with my grandparents, any year with both of them!

Thanks for your questions everybody!

Loving answering them. :)

Keep 'em coming. :pac:

Since you appear to be the youngest elf here, do any of us older elves' Christmas traditions surprise you?

What is your favourite era of Christmas music?

What would be your ideal stall at a fantasy Christmas Market?

1.) Since you appear to be the youngest elf here, do any of us older elves' Christmas traditions surprise you?

2.) What is your favourite era of Christmas music?

3.) What would be your ideal stall at a fantasy Christmas Market?

Apologies for getting back to your questions so late.

1.) I'm 17 so maybe I am the youngest Elf here. :pac:

This is kind of a hard question, I've loved reading about everyone's different traditions.

One that comes to mind is Sarah saying her Mam said about her decorating the tree so vividly.

Also, I remember CarrieAnne describing her very hectic Christmas Eve/Day!

They all surprised in the way that everyone does it differently, no two people seem to have the same day and that for me is just amazing.

2.) I like all Christmas music! Can't go wrong really.

Favourites would have to be the classics (Let it snow, Rudolph etc.) Fairytale Of New York and Little Drummer Boy.

3.) I'm going to Germany in November and one of the things I'll be doing is seeing the opening of the Christmas markets which I can't wait for.

I guess one with baked goods would be the best, gingerbread, scones, mini trifles ;) and maybe even some mulled wine!

The one time myself and my Mam made gingerbread the smell was unreal.

I'd love to set up a stall and have all the baked stuff on display and just draw people over with the smells.

Sounds magically even just thinking about it! :D

Thanks for the great questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Hi AlanS181824,

Which do you prefer Christmas day or eve?
    If you change one thing about christmas what would it be?
    Are your friends as enthusiastic about christmas or do they think your mad :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Do you listen to Christmas FM every year?

Do you prefer Christmas songs or Christmas carols?

Are there any Christmas songs that make you want to throw the radio out the window?

Do you have a favourite festive TV advert?

delw wrote: »
    Hi AlanS181824,

1.) Which do you prefer Christmas day or eve?
    2.) If you change one thing about christmas what would it be?
    3.) Are your friends as enthusiastic about christmas or do they think your mad :D

1.) Christmas Day definitely.

I love Christmas Eve but that for me is just the build up, the preparation for the big day ahead, wrapping presents, prepping food etc, getting everything ready.

I love the atmospheres on both days, everyone is so cheerful, the weather is usually cold and it's just amazing.

2.) Probably the fact that even though so many people love Christmas and spend it with their loved ones there are those with nobody on their own.

This just breaks my heart to think about all those poor people out there in the cold, alone at Christmas.

If there was a place they could go to celebrate Christmas, make new friends, have a nice dinner that would definitely help.

In fact near where I live there is a man who lives in a caravan at the side of a road, on his own with his dog.

He's lived there for years and it's across from 3 or so houses, every year each house takes it in turn to invite him in for his Christmas dinner so even though he lives alone, he's never alone for Christmas.:)

Nice little story about Christmas there IMO!:pac:

3.) Well they think I'm mad as it is so....:rolleyes:

They're definitely excited by Christmas which I think everyone is really.

I'm probably up there with borderline obsessed haha, I love Christmas weather, Christmas music, Christmas lights, Christmas decorations, Christmas trees etc etc.

I love when we get into the double digits and you can go... Oh! Only XX days now!

Marking em down, one by one ;)

Thanks for asking me these great questions! :)

Posy wrote: »
    1.) Do you listen to Christmas FM every year?

2.) Do you prefer Christmas songs or Christmas carols?

3.) Are there any Christmas songs that make you want to throw the radio out the window?

4.) Do you have a favourite festive TV advert?

1.) I never used to but I nearly always love listening to the first day of it.

It's such a great idea for a station and everyone seems to love it!

Will definitely tune in this year though! :)

2.) This one is a bit tough... Fairytale of New York vs Jingle Bells... At least I think they're carols haha.

I'd have to go with carols as I love a good Christmas carol but I do love Christmas songs in general too.

This question was really hard to answer.:rolleyes:

3.) Not really, they're all grand and obviously a lot if work went into them.

Some that come to mind though would be that one where Mariah Carey is dressed as Santy and she's singing about... Something, I dunno!:pac:

Or also the Destiny's Child's cover of Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer, every time I see that claymation video I just wonder... What were they on.:P

4.) Oh I've a few I especially love.

The Coca Cola Holidays Are Coming one is one of my favourites.

But the Kelloggs one with the Little Girl with Blonde hair is definitely definitely my favourite!

The way she takes the bit of Corn Flakes and just goes... Ho ho ho...

Then the narrator says something like... We wish you and yours the very best this holiday season.

Every time I see that I know it's Christmas!

Thanks for the great questions!

I've enjoyed answering them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Great answers love the photos
    Do you hang Christmas stockings ?
    Do you prepare any of the christmas dinner?
    Do you still have your Nannys triffle now that she comes to you's for dinner?
    do you send christmas cards?

SarahLil wrote: »
    Great answers love the photos
    1.) Do you hang Christmas stockings ?
    2.) Do you prepare any of the christmas dinner?
    3.) Do you still have your Nannys triffle now that she comes to you's for dinner?
    4.) do you send christmas cards?

Thanks Sarah :)

1.) We do indeed! More a decorative thing than anything else, always think the mantel piece looks too bare without them.

The odd time a secret present might get left in there for someone to find ;)

2.) Awful to say but no I don't... I know I'm so lazy...

Actually, I do lick the spoon from the trifle haha ;)

I will help this year though, help ease off the pressure from my parents.

3.) Hopefully, last year my Dad made his trifle (Same dessert technically but so so different!:P), so on St Stephens Day we want out to my Nannys and ate that there, along with some Roast Beef sandwiches :pac:

The year before she brought hers over aswell.

I might ask her can I help her this year, always used to when I was little so it'd be a nice memory.

4.) I used to always in Primary School but haven't done since, I do give them to family members.

In person though, not by post.

Cheers :)

I'm intrigued by this Trifle...... what's in it ? And why is it so good? :)

1.) I'm intrigued by this Trifle...... what's in it ? And why is it so good? :)

1.) Word of warning, I'm woeful are describing things.

It's the usual Trifle, lady fingers some syrypy stuff, jelly, custard, cream, fresh cream and chocolate sprinkles!

I think that's it anyway.

My Dads one has little fruit cocktail pieces in the jelly and it has sherry in it, it's nice but it's not my Nannys ;)

I guess I like it so much because I have so many fond memories of waiting patiently as my Nanny was making it so I'd get to lick the spoon the cream was in.

Then the torturous hours of waiting for it to set in the fridge!

Hope that makes sense :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭CarrieAnne

The ultimate question.... Are you ready to start the celebrations yet???

... its getting close :D

CarrieAnne wrote: »
    1.) The ultimate question.... Are you ready to start the celebrations yet???

... its getting close :D

1.) Oh my god yes!

It is never too early to start in my book :)

Only 63 days now ;)

• Advertisement

Getting very close to my time here ending and I have to say I've enjoyed it loads!

You've all asked great questions, really has me excited for Christmas now! :)

Anyone got any last minute questions for me? :)

Advertisement