Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Browne roundabout (Galway)

• 11-10-2014 6:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭

anyone any info on when work to replace the Browne roundabout is due to begin... is it still stuck in the open spaces quagmire?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I'm of course open to correction, but my understanding is that there was no agreement on modifying the Browne Roundabout.

More's the pity. It's a hideous carbuncle on the face of the planet.

Er, what's the "open spaces quagmire"? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Er, what's the "open spaces quagmire"? :)

this must be what I read last year.. my use of 'quagmire' was ott in hindsight!
    www.connachttribune.ie/cllr-asks-minister-to-step-in-over-plans-to-replace-roundabouts/

anyways, is it shelved or have the lawyers got hold of it I wonder..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

here's a reply from the Council...

"I can confirm that currently, there are no plans and no funding for improvements at the Browne Roundabout for the years 2014 and 2015. However, we may re-visit the area after the above mentioned period."

oh well...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭what_traffic

jkforde wrote: »
    here's a reply from the Council...

"I can confirm that currently, there are no plans and no funding for improvements at the Browne Roundabout for the years 2014 and 2015. However, we may re-visit the area after the above mentioned period."

oh well...

Perhaps contact the NRA about it? It is on the N6/N59. I thought the City Council had to amend the Local Area Plan before the could proceed with it's removal? (Similar situation to the Kirwin Roundabout)
    Documents related to the N6 Roundabout removals no longer on the galwaycity.ie website?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Once roadworks actually start we can have a thread in Galway as info for motorists etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Is this the Headford road rab?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Roundabouts in Galway old list, some now lights Tribe Roads radiating from roundabout
    Martin Eastern Approach Road (N6), Dublin Road, [Galway Clinic]
    Lynch Eastern Approach Road (N6), Monivea Road [Briarhill]
    Morris Eastern Approach Roundabout, Bóthar na dTreabh, Ballybane Road, [Ballybane]
    Font Bóthar na dTreabh, Tuam Road (N17)
    Kirwan Bóthar na dTreabh, Headford Road, Sandy Road
    Bodkin Quincentennial Bridge, Headford Road, Sean Mulvoy Road, [Galway Shopping Centre]
    Browne Seamus Quirke Road, Thomas Hynes Road, Bóthar na dTreabh, University College Hospital Back Entrance
    Deane Bishop O'Donnell Road, Western Distributor Road
    Athy Western Distributor Road, Clybaun Road
    Blake Western Distributor Road, Ballymoneen Road
    D'Arcy Lower Salthill Road, Upper Salthill Road, [Salthill town centre]
    Joyce Bohermore, Sean Mulvoy Road, Tuam Road, Moneenageisha Road [Cemetry Cross]
    Ffrench Moneenageisha Road, Monivea Road, Dublin Road, College Road, [G Hotel]
    Skerritt Dublin Road, Ballybane Road, [Galway/Mayo Institute of Technology & Corrib Great Southern Hotel]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,526 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

jkforde wrote: »
    anyone any info on when work to replace the Browne roundabout is due to begin... is it still stuck in the open spaces quagmire?

It has the same problem as Font roundabout , five arms and argument as to which one goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Design Work on Kirwan Roundabout to kick off again shortly, bring five arm roundabout down to four arm signals

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭what_traffic

biko wrote: »
    Roundabouts in Galway old list, some now lights
    Tribe Roads radiating from roundabout
    Martin Eastern Approach Road (N6), Dublin Road, [Galway Clinic]

Lynch Eastern Approach Road (N6), Monivea Road [Briarhill]

Morris Eastern Approach Roundabout, Bóthar na dTreabh, Ballybane Road,
    [Ballybane]

Font Bóthar na dTreabh, Tuam Road (N17)

Kirwan Bóthar na dTreabh, Headford Road, Sandy Road

Bodkin Quincentennial Bridge, Headford Road, Sean Mulvoy Road, [Galway
    Shopping Centre]

Browne Seamus Quirke Road, Thomas Hynes Road, Bóthar na dTreabh, University College Hospital Back Entrance
    Deane Bishop O'Donnell Road, Western Distributor Road
    Athy Western Distributor Road, Clybaun Road
    Blake Western Distributor Road, Ballymoneen Road
    D'Arcy Lower Salthill Road, Upper Salthill Road, [Salthill town centre]
    Joyce Bohermore, Sean Mulvoy Road, Tuam Road, Moneenageisha Road [Cemetry Cross]

Ffrench Moneenageisha Road, Monivea Road, Dublin Road, College Road,
    [G Hotel]

Skerritt Dublin Road, Ballybane Road, [Galway/Mayo Institute of Technology & Corrib Great Southern Hotel]

Did the names not go the way of the Dodo(those in BOLD) when the roundabouts were removed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Is this the roundabout that comes after the university and the quin-centennial bridge going towards Salthill?

If so from my time driving in Galway that roundabout was definitely not the worst so wouldn't need to be removed urgently imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Is this the roundabout that comes after the university and the quin-centennial bridge going towards Salthill?

If so from my time driving in Galway that roundabout was definitely not the worst so wouldn't need to be removed urgently imo.

Have you tried crossing it on foot or traversing it by bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Have you tried crossing it on foot or traversing it by bike?

If it's the one I'm thinking of then yes I did walk across it many times when in college in Galway.

And I'm not saying that it wasn't dangerous or anything just that some of the others particularly the big one that was at the shopping centre were far more dangerous for cyclists/pedestrians and more detrimental to traffic flow were worse and therefore more urgent to get rid of. But by all means if the funding is there then remove the Browne roundabout

Advertisement