Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need advice on downgrade!

Options
  • 04-10-2014 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I had my gun chrono'ed and it came I with stock spring at 1.8 j. I never had it done before I have tight bore barrel and action army hop up bucking which app entry in creases fps by 50+.

It was the stock spring so I'm shocked it came in at that. The guy inside the shop said it was probably not under 1 joule when I bought it.wtf I got it in Ireland from a reputable source! So basically I need to decrease power fast! The guy reckons I should drill a hole in cylinder head to downgrade ? What you guys think to decrease power?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RossB182

It's a well l96 btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Return it to the retailer they will downgrade it for you

But after I put tight bore and bucking into it?

I have no proof! I'm gonna do it myself. Just want to know how others have done it. Cut spring or drill cylinder head. I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

RossB182 wrote: »
    But after I put tight bore and bucking into it?

I have no proof! I'm gonna do it myself. Just want to know how others have done it. Cut spring or drill cylinder head. I'm not so sure.

IF it was hot when you bought it then your entitled to have it downgraded .
    Put in the original barrel and hop and return it.

Actually just seen your original thread on this might be an idea to buy a weaker spring and chronograph for future work

Gatling wrote: »
    IF it was hot when you bought it then your entitled to have it downgraded .
    Put in the original barrel and hop and return it.

Actually just seen your original thread on this might be an idea to buy a weaker spring and chronograph for future work

Thank you will do. What spring would you recommend and where would I get one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

So let me get this right, the fella in the shop said before you bought it that it is already firing hot?. This kind of behavior am sorry for such a small niche sport with very few retailers is a bloody joke, they should be named and shamed (just my opinion).

If he offers you a downgrade via a drilled cylinder, refuse it and ask for the proper method of downgrading with a spring wih proof that it is then firing under the legal limit. Failing all that ask for a refund, he openly verbally told you that he is selling you a hot gun now to be fair and no offense you should not have bought it.

Bloody ridiculous carry on from a retailer that is.

No no. I bought the gun 2 months ago never chrono'ed it . When I brought it to another shop to chrono this is how I found out it was firing hot. I don't want it to be drilled. The guy in shop( not the shop I bought it from ) that a tightbore increases fps by about 18% . So taking that into consideration the gun must have been hot when I bought it.

It's my first gun so I had nothing to base our legal limit on. I have been in contact with the shop I bought it from and they are going to fix it but, I dont want anything drilled. What spring does will make it legal? It has already wrecked my chances of a skirmish this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

RossB182 wrote: »
    No no. I bought the gun 2 months ago never chrono'ed it . When I brought it to another shop to chrono this is how I found out it was firing hot. I don't want it to be drilled. The guy in shop( not the shop I bought it from ) that a tightbore increases fps by about 18% . So taking that into consideration the gun must have been hot when I bought it.

It's my first gun so I had nothing to base our legal limit on. I have been in contact with the shop I bought it from and they are going to fix it but, I dont want anything drilled. What spring does will make it legal? It has already wrecked my chances of a skirmish this weekend.

Ah sorry my apologies!! Leave that to them to sort what spring, they should cover the cost of the spring, drilling the cylinder is just a lazy ass way to downgrade and can cause damage in the long run. If you get your rifle to 290-30fps then a tightbore and bucking upgrade should still keep it legal after you re-install them. So im not sure are springs for bolt actions the same as aegs but an m90 to m100 should do but these vary from brand to brand!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Where you based?

Based on munster! Don't want trouble just need advice from experts such as yourselves. Came to conclusion that Tokyo marui vsr 10 sell my own once it's downgraded. What should I look for price wise?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭brenak47

Its probably missing the reducer inside the air nozzle most l96 come with them.They thread inside the nozzle.When in its below 1j and out there nearly 2j.Check if if the nozzle is threaded and if so u need to source one. They can be down graded with drilling nozzle or cutting spring.Drilling isn't as bad to do as it would on an aeg and cutting spring can leave u with very inconsistent fps.Myself i would drop it to a shop to be done and just sell it then as u planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

I have spare reducers if your nozzle is threaded....

Thermo : thanks a lot. I unfortunately have drill cylinder head which wrecked it and cut spring so now need to find cylinder head wth reducer and new spring so my fault unfortunately. I might take you up on that and I'll look for new cylinder and head with thread. Anyone know where I find?

Advertisement