Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Policing Budget Chit Chat

• 30-09-2014 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭

This seems like a good place to contain all the rumours and developments on the recruitment budget; will they won't they?

It will help keep the recruitment stage threads nice and clean :)

I know this was posted elsewhere but is pretty big news today (30/09/14)
    http://www.psni.police.uk/termination_of_contracts_for_associate_workers_

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

Not the best of news:

http://m.u.tv/news/Cuts-will-leave-PSNI-unrecognisable/5aa97e48-4277-4f37-9def-2f0e3223b9af

Seems January's campaign may be on hold at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ptsb1

To be honest it is not looking good for anyone (including me) that is currently waiting on the call. It is very disheartening at this stage for this to come about but there is very little we can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

I'm worried. I hate being negative but if further job losses are inevitable I can't see all the people waiting / in the 2014 campaign getting through. I'd love to say we're safe and it's only the jan campaign being stopped but... I can't see how they can do the 2014 campaign through now. Be interesting what he says at the policing board meeting tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

ptsb1 wrote: »
    To be honest it is not looking good for anyone (including me) that is currently waiting on the call. It is very disheartening at this stage for this to come about but there is very little we can do about it.

I have a feeling that 1309 campaign should be okay. If anything it will be 2014 campaign that would be hit, i dont think they can afford to lose more officers.

Stopping recruitment will cost them more in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭marfrig2014

Policing board tomorrow should tell a tale. But I'm not optimistic. Massive cuts right away needed. Hamilton has shown he will make tough decisions.

I think next step will be freeze on intakes of my campaign and the current one. Typical. 2 marks off getting a call.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

lol don't even start. I should have been in months ago if it wasn't for the decking vetting grrrrr I seriously hope they continue with the 2013 campaign. I'll be gutted as I'm sure an awful lot of people will be :(

Mr Hamilton said 7,000 officers was the level agreed between police, the PSNI’s oversight body – the Policing Board – and the Department of Justice as the number needed to maintain service delivery.

“We have a recruitment programme in place to get us up toward that 7,000,” he said.

“We are still working through the detail but the level of recruitment will be significantly reduced.

“The third recruitment campaign that was due to start in the next financial year will be stopped and we will not be getting anywhere towards the 7,000 officers that I believe that I need.”

Source: http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/regional/hamilton-cuts-make-more-police-job-losses-inevitable-1-6332317

I guess we'll find out tomorrow what's planned for recruitment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭monty46

Cant link article as it says im a new member, but on bbc northern ireland website there is a news article saying that unionists and the orange order are planning rallies in relation to parades disputes. Surely something like that would be a disaster for the police at the moment.

I imagine the chief constable would have also mentioned the other campaigns and not just 3rd one if he planned to cull them!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭walkman2302

It is a real shame that these events are happening at the moment, I think the executive need to seriously get a grip of things before it becomes too late!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭CDizzle

The 1309 campaign has already been budgeted for surely? It should be unaffected, would make no sense to stop it now so near to completion. Not sure how the current campaign stands though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Personally I think the Jan campaign will be the only casualty. It should be politicians wages tbh. Wouldn't make financial sense to cut a campaign when they need the numbers. Fair enough the mght scale back the numbers from 1405 but I'd imagine that CDizzle is right and the 1309 will continue until the 378 are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

All we can do is wait until this afternoon when the policing board takes meeting with the chief con and his senior officers. I know for a fact it's got to the point were it is costing more not to recruit the levels they want, and that it has become cost effective to recruit, it is critical as we speak, I know that by March 2015 there is a large amount to retire also.

Again nothing we can do at all if recruitment is affected, I personally think campaign 1 will be fine and recruitment will proceed to get the max 378, campaign 2 though I am hesitant and I am in campaign 2, having done my assessment yesterday, I pray it is unaffected but time will tell. At this point I'm more anxious about this afternoon than I was doing my assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

On Nolan now!

Homer01 wrote: »
    On Nolan now!

Good man! I'll keep an ear out for ya! lol

Keep me up to scratch with the Goss, can't get listening to it.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/cuts-that-will-make-psni-unrecognisable-laid-bare-30631185.html

No mention of cessation of recruitment in this article but we'll find out for sure later this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭didierdrogba

I'd imagine that the budget cuts relate directly to the new tax year and as such 1309 will be unaffected as funding was agreed for this long ago

Unrelated to budget cuts, but Terry Spence also just announced his retirement.

https://www.policefed-ni.org.uk/News/2014/October/PFNI-chairman-announces-decision-to-retire.aspx

Livestream of policing board meeting at the link below (if you can get a sneaky bit of viewing in at work) :cool:

Meeting starts at 1500hrs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_bl0VvGDUE

Got away from my desk for a bit and heard the Chief Con state that both campaigns will still continue but that less numbers will be taken on from campaign two.

• Advertisement

Campaign 2 will be "significantly reduced" from the original 378 advertised

The report:

http://www.psni.police.uk/pr_report_of_the_chief_constable_to_the_northern_ireland_policing_board_021014
    HUMAN RESOURCES UPDATE

Police Recruitment Slowed and Stopped
    I remain of the view that 6963 officers are required to remain effective and ensure capacity to respond to the significant challenges presented by policing in a post conflict society, as was laid out in the Review of Resilience and Capability 2013.

However, the level of cuts now being imposed means that 6963 is no longer affordable. This has a direct impact on the current programme of recruitment.

Competition two, which is currently running, will continue as the majority of the budgeted spend has already been invested. The intake of new officers will however be substantially slower. The plans for a third recruitment competition have been stopped.

PSNI have a strategic responsibility to ensure the protection of policing in the future and it is essential that the issue of police recruitment is kept strictly under review.

With recruitment plans significantly reduced, it is anticipated that Police officer headcount will decline over the next three years through retirements.

Apologies if I'm wrong when I wrote about less being taken, guys. The actual report suggests intakes just being substantially slower.

Could have sworn I heard less being mentioned but I was having a sneaky watch whilst in work, so not exactly 100% listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭marfrig2014

He did say substantially less for campaign 2 did he not?

What does it mean for campaign 1 though? Has he decided it's reached capacity already?

You heard right, he deviated a bit from his speech!

He did say substantially less for campaign 2 did he not?

What does it mean for campaign 1 though? Has he decided it's reached capacity already?

Campaign 1 is going ahead, only 187 positions filled

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭VES86

http://www.psni.police.uk/pr_report_of_the_chief_constable_to_the_northern_ireland_policing_board_021014

a lot can change in a month. This months report is a far from positive read

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

It sounds as if the job itself has changed. Join the police, work in an office :(

This country is rapidly heading down the drain!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭didierdrogba

Just to confirm,campaign 2 refers to the one which is at the assessment centre stage yes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LadyVernal

Just to confirm,campaign 2 refers to the one which is at the assessment centre stage yes?

yes it does

Advertisement