Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's that piece...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

Ok. Would anyone recommend me a few classical music forums, where I could post this, too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

XVII wrote: »
    Ok. Would anyone recommend me a few classical music forums, where I could post this, too?
    You could try http://www.talkclassical.com/. The posters seem very knowledgeable there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I heard this on Classic FM but the presenter must have given it the full speel on the intro as he said nothing when it ended. I've heard it a few times in the sporting arena and for some reason I thought Big Daddy (Shirley Crabtree) used it as a ring entrance theme (but might have been someone else from the lunchtime wretling on Saturday lunchtime about 30 years ago :(

daaa da, da-da da da da daa, da-da daa da-da, da-da da da da, da-da da, da-da da, da-da da daa

I think it was played on trumpets.

If you can get it from that you're a legend. :D

Grand March - Verdi.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Armelodie wrote: »
    Can't wait, that last unsolved one is wrecking my head... Might begin with V eh!

Maybe before we hear the sound cloud excerpt the poster could do dahs,dees and dums in the spirit of things.

Anyway...ears at the ready.

You were right after all :pac:

I think my da-daa's were pretty close :D

1:58 in:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

Grand March - Verdi.
    Well done finding it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Grand March - Verdi.

Ohhhhh give this guy a mod job.... the Rainman of the dah,dah,daaaaaah,da da forum

• Registered Users Posts: 38 badspealler

Does anyone know the name of the piece of music that starts 11min 13sec into...

Sorry, due to boards.ie restrictions I'm not able to post attachments, urls or blah de blah...

Okay, if you search youtube for "Agent Zigzag: The Eddie Chapman Story (Part 4)" and skip along to exactly 11 minutes 13 seconds you'll hear the piece of piano music that boards won't allow me to attach, or link to.

Please folks, this one's been niggling at me for almost 3 years now. I heard it again the other night on the BBC's "So you think you can drive", hence the renewed search for the name of it.

Here's hoping one of you good folks can help...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Here's the video:

It's maddeningly familiar but I can't place it

Here's the video:

It's maddeningly familiar but I can't place it

Many thanks for putting the link up : ). Who knows, it may jog someone's memory and save me a lot of further research.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

Does anyone know the name of the piece of music that starts 11min 13sec into...

Sorry, due to boards.ie restrictions I'm not able to post attachments, urls or blah de blah...

Okay, if you search youtube for "Agent Zigzag: The Eddie Chapman Story (Part 4)" and skip along to exactly 11 minutes 13 seconds you'll hear the piece of piano music that boards won't allow me to attach, or link to.

Please folks, this one's been niggling at me for almost 3 years now. I heard it again the other night on the BBC's "So you think you can drive", hence the renewed search for the name of it.

Here's hoping one of you good folks can help...

I don't recognise the specific piece queried but to me it sounds like typical incidental music for a documentary such as this. In other words, the soundtrack may have been composed especially for the film. If the music is original, there are no credits at the end to say who the composer is.

The other possibility is that the music may have been licensed from a library who own the copyright. The fact that you heard it in another programme supports this. If so, the composer would have been paid a flat fee for the music and would not receive any further royalties.

• Advertisement

anyone try shazzamming it, although theres lots of background noise. Maybe locate the BBC program!

or if you could do out the da,de,daaaas for funkey monkey

Yeah, I have already contacted the BBC, who suggested trying the programme website, but that didn't yield any results. I've also posted to the BBC Points Of View forum asking pretty much the same question I've posed here. Who knows - the BBC mods only released the post late last night so I'll give it a bit of time to see if anyone recognises it.

I've tried all the usual websites (soundhoud, track id, shazaam etc) but the voiceover (both English and Norwegian audio) really messes with the algorithmic pattern matching those sites use. I've even gone through the various online piano sites, played the opening bars and searched high and low for the specific note progression and tempo without much luck either.

I was up until almost 4am this morning trawling through YouTube clips of piano pieces to see if I could find it. Found some amazing piano solos, so it was a productive enough venture even though I didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I'm like a dog with a huge juicy bone that I can't let go of! I tried playing the notes on guitar and soundhounding that but no joy either : (.

I guess the only way I'm really going to get to the bottom of it is to contact the production company / personnel responsible for either programme directly to see if they can point me in the right direction.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far though. Who knows!!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭PatsyR

So if anyone saw life and death row on bbc3 tonight, u might have heard that amazing piece in the middle of it. Anyone know it??? :D An exhaustive youtube and regular search turned up nothing

Another one?!!

Fuel to an already heartily-burning fire... Looks like this could be a long, protracted search.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭PatsyR

Oh no haha sounds bad :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

In need of your assistance gentlemen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-gEI4VBEDk

The piece starts at 1:30:20.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Taylor365 wrote: »
    In need of your assistance gentlemen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-gEI4VBEDk

The piece starts at 1:30:20.

Any ideas?

It's not a piece I knew, but Shazam found it for me: Brahms Klavierstücke, Op.76, No. 7 - Intermezzo in A minor.

I don't think I've ever really heard any of Brahms's solo piano music, so that gives me something new to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

darjeeling wrote: »
    It's not a piece I knew, but Shazam found it for me: Brahms Klavierstücke, Op.76, No. 7 - Intermezzo in A minor.

I don't think I've ever really heard any of Brahms's solo piano music, so that gives me something new to hear.
    Excellent!

Wow that first bar.....

I'll add this to the list of pieces to learn :D

Howdy folks,

I listen to Lyric FM a fair bit here and there when driving around. This music came on and I got a crappy recording of it on the phone. Was wondering if anyone could identify it for me (so I can go in search of it).

The recordings are not great though. Two seperate recordings, about 30 seconds each (cos I accidentally turned off the recorder on the phone and then had to start again).

(Note; the Garda jeep was just the first photo on my desktop i could throw into the video file)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Most programmes on Lyric put up their playlist on the website afterwards, so if you know roughly what time you hear something you can check out the details.

What you recorded was Air (on the G string) by Bach from his Orchestral Suite No. 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Sounds like JS Bach, "Air on a G String" (no sniggering!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2j-frfK-yg

Jesus, those were swift replies!

Cheers guys. Really appreciate that. Great little piece of music. Has been keeping me company in the car for most of the day now :D

Thank you :)

Jesus, those were swift replies!

Cheers guys. Really appreciate that. Great little piece of music. Has been keeping me company in the car for most of the day now :D

Thank you :)

wasnt that the one used in Whiter shade of pale. (fandango?) .( the guy who played/adapted it in the band tried to sue someone else for using it and it went to court, although it was pointed out that bach ripped it off from Lully ... or something!)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Please can someone identify the piece which starts at 32:45 and goes until 33:30!

Much obliged!

Please can someone identify the piece which starts at 32:45 and goes until 33:30!

Much obliged!

Debussy's Clair De Lune! (from Suite Bergamasque!)

If you like that check out his 'Reverie' or arabesques

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Thanks, beautiful stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Hi. Can anbody please advise me what is played about 30 seconds into this news report. Sorry, only a small piece played but I'm sure it's a common piece.

Sorry I can't link. It's rte 6 one news 19th June!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

BrianJD wrote: »
    Hi. Can anbody please advise me what is played about 30 seconds into this news report. Sorry, only a small piece played but I'm sure it's a common piece.

Sorry I can't link. It's rte 6 one news 19th June!
    The Swan from Carnival of the Animals by Saint Saens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNbXuFBjncw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭BrianJD

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The Swan from Carnival of the Animals by Saint Saens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNbXuFBjncw

Thank you so much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I heard a version of Moonlight Sonata during Rick Stein's German Bite last night which was primarily acoustic guitar based but there was definitely some other instruments (strings?) along with it. Anyone see it, or know any versions like this?

Advertisement