Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do we all think of Frasier?

• 29-09-2014 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Just out of interest, what do we think of Frasier, now we're over ten years since the last episode. For my two cents.

- Daphne is never the best character, and putting her with Niles at the end of season 7 makes her near unbearable, to be honest.
    - The only two consistently funny character are Martin and Niles, with maybe Roz as a third.
    - Daphnes family should have stayed unseen.
    - I used to dislike frasier as a character a lot, but I like the way with him towards the end.
    - Wasn't a massive fan of the episodes with Freddie in them, but I like the ones with Lilith a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

cloud493 wrote: »
    Just out of interest, what do we think of Frasier, now we're over ten years since the last episode. For my two cents.

- Daphne is never the best character, and putting her with Niles at the end of season 7 makes her near unbearable, to be honest.
    - The only two consistently funny character are Martin and Niles, with maybe Roz as a third.
    - Daphnes family should have stayed unseen.
    - I used to dislike frasier as a character a lot, but I like the way with him towards the end.
    - Wasn't a massive fan of the episodes with Freddie in them, but I like the ones with Lilith a lot.

Always enjoyed the show, thought the scripts were very clever.

IMO John Mahony hammed up Martin a lot.

When Kelsey Grammar signalled that he would give up the role after 20 years (between Cheers and Frasier), Jane Leeves' team jumped into action and negotiated an upgrade of her role that made her an equal of the three male characters, rather than an employee, in order to maximise her asking price in the post-Frasier world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

amazing show the writing is on the upper echelons of humour alongside the likes of arrested development only fools and horses father ted etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Daphne always feels like a sub character though. I can't think of any 'good' story lines she has after her Niles get together. The fat one isn't much cop.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I thought it was funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

I was never terribly keen on the freddie character but it if meant that Bebe Neuwirth might appear then i was willing to put up with him.

• Advertisement

• I've enjoyed almost every episode of Frasier I've seen but I've never seen them in sequence. I really have to watch them all properly some day.

I thought all of the main characters offered a lot to the show; Daphne may not have been as funny as the others (though she certainly had her moments!) but she often played the role of "straight man" quite well, and that's a role that shouldn't be underestimated. I agree that her family were badly written though, they're meant to be from Manchester and yet her brother has a strong Cockney accent? Research department fail!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭KungPao

Remember the episode when Woody was in town and met up with Frasier for the first time in years? Frasier realised soon after that he had moved on from his Cheers days and just couldn't bear to be with Woody and wondered how to get shot of him. You feel bad for the poor simple bar man until it emerges he can't stand Frasier either...and they both agree not to catchup for another 10 years...if ever again. Then say their farewells.

It was a good show and it was intelligent, not like most of the rubbish today (TBBT doesn't count - it's not actually intelligent at all really).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

I love Frasier, Its like a comfort blanket.
    My husband and I will leave on a few episodes in the evenings while we are pottering around the house and watch bits here and there.
    I love the strangeness of Maris.
    Remember when Niles started dating her plastic surgeon and she gained tons of weight? I thought how that episode was done was very clever :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I've enjoyed almost every episode of Frasier I've seen but I've never seen them in sequence. I really have to watch them all properly some day.

I thought all of the main characters offered a lot to the show; Daphne may not have been as funny as the others (though she certainly had her moments!) but she often played the role of "straight man" quite well, and that's a role that shouldn't be underestimated. I agree that her family were badly written though, they're meant to be from Manchester and yet her brother has a strong Cockney accent? Research department fail!

There is a small handful of episodes I didn't like. Anything involving Bebe.

Also, one or two episodes where Frasier has met an absolute stunner and still manages to f^%k it up some how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭SK76

It's the one show I can watch over and over again. As regards Freddie, i never really like younger actors in shows. Also agree that not as good when daphne and niles got together

Still, my favourite comedy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Watched Frasier for many years and enjoyed the series for only one reason, NILES! Just remember the one where he was ironing his trousers - very Chaplinesque!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

syklops wrote: »
    There is a small handful of episodes I didn't like. Anything involving Bebe.

Blasphemy!

I like Bebe, the one playing her (can't remember her name) is brilliant.

This bit is from my favourite episode

Beano wrote: »
    Blasphemy!

Maybe so, but any episode I know to involve Bebe gets skipped, with the exception of the one with Kristen Chenowith. I suffer through Bebe for her.

cloud493 wrote: »
    I like Bebe, the one playing her (can't remember her name) is brilliant.

This bit is from my favourite episode

Probably my two favourite episodes are "out with Dad"(above) and "The doctor is out", co-starring Patrick Stewart.

It doesn't get any better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bacon and Cabbage

Absolutely brilliant, by far the funniest show I've ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Rachineire wrote: »
    I love Frasier, Its like a comfort blanket.
    My husband and I will leave on a few episodes in the evenings while we are pottering around the house and watch bits here and there.
    I agree 100%, it's the perfect comfort blanket.

I've great memories of regularly skyping a dear old friend (living far away) in the early hours and we'd both be chatting while watching the same episode of Frasier :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I think we were both skyping the same person MrsD...

I love Frasier... There's something comforting about watching the show alright... Like they are old friends or something... The only other show I really got that feeling watching was probably "Only Fools And Horses", particularly at the Christmas..

Frasier is very comforting. That and fawlty towers maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shayno90

Great comedy, well written and the main cast interacted superbly to deliver some classic scenes.
    Always looked forward to the one episode each season that was the funniest e.g. the skiing trip when the 3 Cranes bring dates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Currently re-watching the whole series and just started season 10. Still brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I absolutely love Fraiser, I think it's earned it's place as a classic. There was a special type of brilliance that managed to make two fusty metrosexual snobby doctors so endearing to the masses. The characters are so well rounded for comedic roles, they have their vulnerabilities, express a humanity we can all relate to in their loneliness or whatever it happens to be at the time. So few modern comedies manage to marry hilarity and genuine human emotion. I love Martin as well, I think he was the perfect foil for Niles and Frasier.

Even fifteen years on, no internet, no mobile phones, it still feels as fresh and relevant as it ever did.

One of my favourite episodes is Trophy Girlfriend where Fraiser meets a beautiful gym teacher but her treatment of a pupil reminds him of his old gym teacher and the humiliations he inflicted on him . Suddenly the beautiful woman is played by Bob Hoskins and we see her exactly how he does.
    It's absolutely genius!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Best sitcom of all time alongside the Simpsons in my opinion.

The quality for the first 7 seasons was unbelievably high and it made a comeback to those levels in the last season as well.I actually got into the show when watching seasons 8,9 and 10 which are the three weakest, which probably indicates how good it was if its 3 worst seaosns were still better than almost anything else on TV.

Brilliant scripts,brilliant acting (including Eddie) and the one liners were terrific as well. A show that would appeal to all generations (something where Seinfeld falls down).

Joe Keenan is the greatest sitcom writer of all time in my opinion.Almost every episode he wrote was a classic.

It has a brilliant main cast and a brilliant supporting cast with Bebe,Bulldog,Gil,Lilith etc being hilarious and some of the guest appearances were brilliant as well, Patrick Stewart and Michael Keaton being 2 of my favourites.

The one liners were brilliant and also it features the greatest double entendre in the history of TV. (you can guess which one I'm talking about)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Always thought Daphne was a great prop more than anything, it seems mean to talk about a character like that but she got the best out of Niles, the counterbalance to the enigmatic Maris :p When they tried to expand the character there really wasn't much behind her being the live in therapist. Though it may have been more of a novelty to American audiences. I suppose it didn't help that I was kind of infatuated with her too :)

As for Frasier in general, brilliant show. Watched it before Cheers so wasn't clouded by Frasier's character in that which maybe helped but him and Niles and their rivalry really stands out to anyone who suffers from sibling rivalry, even when their interests don't overlap with any of mine/my brothers really :D. A tight group of characters meant that it was rare anything could disrupt the flow of the show and made it all the funnier when someone blew their top or got into an outrageous situation.

Also with regard the OP, Frasier is brilliant right through imo. He could step back and allow the others to play off his ridiculousness or provide some great moments when he lost his cool. There's very few funnier sights in television than Frasier screaming 'YOU WILL RUE THE DAY...' or something to that effect. Something the Simpsons writers really played off too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

One of the best if not the best sitcoms ever IMO. quality TV. Niles is one of the best characters I've ever seen.

I actually forgot about Bulldog, can't believe he wasn't in it for so long, how long was it, a season or so? 'THIS STINKS, THIS IS TOTAL BS, THIS IS oh wait no its ok'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

It was simply brilliant. I loved the way Martin would remind the sons of their roots whenever they were being really pompous. That, and the tatty armchair, and what was the name of the dog, it's bugging me?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

madmaggie wrote: »
    It was simply brilliant. I loved the way Martin would remind the sons of their roots whenever they were being really pompous. That, and the tatty armchair, and what was the name of the dog, it's bugging me?
    Eddie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Loved Frasier, bought this boxset, but watch the episodes on c4 at the weekends

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

The one where they were skiing and everyone wanted to sleep with each other (no one wanted Frasier) was the funniest imo

Advertisement