Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ambulance reflective markings

Options
  • 25-09-2014 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Someone here might have the answer so here goes :

On both NAS and DFB ambulances, I've noticed that there's narrow reflective markings that go horizontally and vertically , as per images.

My question is: are these markings a H&S requirement on Ambulances or are they at the discretion of the service in question (DFB / NAS)

Comments

sgt.bilko wrote: »
    Someone here might have the answer so here goes :

On both NAS and DFB ambulances, I've noticed that there's narrow reflective markings that go horizontally and vertically , as per images.

My question is: are these markings a H&S requirement on Ambulances or are they at the discretion of the service in question (DFB / NAS)

Going to say it's discretion of the services.

Battenberg was primarily introduced as a corporate colour scheme for the UK Police and visibility was a secondary concern.
    Blue is the least visible colour in the human eye spectrum and that's why the battenberg has to have very large yellow squares to make it visible.
    There are no certified tests on either yellow and green or yellow and red battenberg to test their visibility.
    The " small" battenberg in use here on ambulances apart from a corporate identity is probably pointless. The euro yellow colour of the ambulance is probably the most effective element of visibility and nighttime visibility would be better if the vehicle had it's outline marked in narrow reflective tape.
    The same goes for fire appliances, we spend thousands applying battenberg to lockers and the first thing we do at an incident is open the lockers so you can't see the battenberg.
    Interestingly I think, UK police studies showed that battenberg was actually less visible in urban environments and is actually only better on motorways ....

https://www.esforum.org/showthread.php?tid=7079&pid=162051#pid162051

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

There was research done on the markings of emergency vehicles will send link if you want later on phone atm! Basically it found the markings like on the back of that NAS ambulance were the most visible design for motorists. It's something to do with humans eyes and the way they focus. So where the lines meet on the back in a upside down v was seen as the best design.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

3fullback wrote: »
    There was research done on the markings of emergency vehicles will send link if you want later on phone atm! Basically it found the markings like on the back of that NAS ambulance were the most visible design for motorists. It's something to do with humans eyes and the way they focus. So where the lines meet on the back in a upside down v was seen as the best design.

thanks, it's not the chevron markings on the rear but the narrow reflective yellow striping that runs horizontally above "emergency ambulance" and vertically that I'm enquiring about.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

I would imagine that it's to give an oncoming motorist an idea of the size and shape of the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Might be to do with the size of the vehicle as per Irish and now EU law certain vehicles mainly trucks have to display reflective markings on the sides and back of the vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

ECE 104 = design requirements for HGVs.

Includes showing height of the vehicle. I assume that's what the top marking is for

Advertisement