Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Div 6 Bodley Cup 2014 - 2015

• 09-09-2014 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭

The fixture dates for the 2014-15 Bodley Cup have been published up on the LCU website. An early start this year, with the first game in just under two weeks on September 22, so that the final round will happen (on Sunday, 19/4/15) with the other divisions (presumably in the Teachers Club?).

And round one should be the one with the most bragging rights on the line, since it's when the three clubs who are entering two teams into the Bodley this year (Benildus, Curragh and Rathmines) face their A teams off against their B teams. Ain't no going home to get away from the memory of a blunder in that match! :D

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

The future starts here.

http://www.leinsterchess.com/lcu1415/div6/table.htm

My Predictions

1st St.Benildus A
    2nd Curragh
    3rd Blanchardstown

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

All the fixtures were changed when Wicklow and Curragh B dropped out. First match for us (St.Benildus B again) is next wednesday against Benildus A, which is bound to be a parish match if ever I saw one :D Eleven rounds, finishing up on the same day with the other leagues in the same final playoff, this is going to be fun :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

1 - Enniscorthy at a canter
    2 - Rathmines
    3 - St Benildus; a few players have moved up the divisions; last year was our chance, though the LCU promoting Drogheda instead of us (by virtue of more points scored - in a weaker group) and saying that six weeks wasn't long enough to arrange a play off has rather pissed us off, and we'll be using that to spur the team on!

Another change to this division btw - Portmarnock are gone, and Naomh Barróg have been promoted in their place.

Also just spotted Cowboy Dreams' sneaky Curragh promotion prediction! Must be something afoot in Kildare alright; new players filtering down through the teams?

Not sure how that squares with withdrawing the Bodley B team though?

• Advertisement

Was the Curragh B team dropped entirely, or was something more along the lines of two teams with no subs being merged up to one stronger team with subs and more strength in depth?

We lost 4 players but gained some new ones but not enough for 2 division 6 teams unfortunately. new players are in division 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Chessrookie

Have to think that Enniscorthy should have a strong division 7 squad if they can combine the 4 transfers from the Curragh with their other emerging players.
    It's very promising to see a new club prospering in the south East, particularly at the time when a big club like Kilkenny have had to pull a team from the leagues this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Chessrookie

What's in the water in the Curragh this year!. I have just noticed that Cowboy dreams is predicting a clean sweep of the Heidenfeld, O Hanlon and Bodley for their three teams.
    Either he has very rose coloured glasses, or there are some exceptionally strong players playing for the Curragh this year. LoL

We've been all practicing the Sokolsky Opening, Nobody will see it coming! :P

• Advertisement

I'm rooting for Benildus in that match! Go team!

Playing seven boards tonight. We're going to win 7-0 just to make damn sure we get promoted this season. :)

you better! *shakes fist* My prediction depends on you guys don't let me down! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭2bts

Benildus B 0 : 5 Benildus A

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

2bts wrote: »
    Benildus B 0 : 5 Benildus A
    The As were technically the home team, but that's the score. Tighter than the scoreline would suggest though.

Team report on Round 1 up on the St.Benildus website now.

Curragh 4.5 Inchicore .5

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Enniscorthy Chess

Elm Mount 1 - 4 Enniscorthy.
    Any other scores?

• Advertisement

Was looking at the player panels out of interest and came up with this:

Bodley2014LeagueStrength-580x396.png

I think those initial predictions on who'll be the top three might need a tweak :D

I'm thinking:
    1. Malahide
    2. Enniscorthy (very strong individuals on that team, but one or two players not being able to make a game and they're in trouble)
    3. Benildus A (Yeah, they're not the highest rated, but they're scrappy :D )

Kinda thinking Benildus B might finish around where it's seeded, maybe a place higher.

Nice bit of stats there, make for an interesting read. I'm still gonna stick with my predictions.

No point in changing them now or Ill probably be changing them every week!

The downside, like I said, is that the ratings aren't that stable in the Bodley, but if the only data you have is noisy data...

Yeah it might be more accurate for the higher divisions. You could be playing a 700 in the Bodley with a 1600 strength.

As someone commented during one match last year when rather annoyed by that, "860? My arse!" :D

For fits and giggles by the way, here's that graph from last year (for both A and B groups):

Bodley2013LeagueStrength-580x499.png

You can see how Gonzaga had great strength in depth, while Wicklow had higher board one strength but not a lot of wiggle room for game availability problems (which is why they didn't place in the end - the thicker lines on the graph are the top three in each group). I'm betting the same thing happens this year with Malahide and Enniscorthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Sparks wrote: »
    You can see how Gonzaga had great strength in depth, while Wicklow had higher board one strength but not a lot of wiggle room for game availability problems (which is why they didn't place in the end - the thicker lines on the graph are the top three in each group). I'm betting the same thing happens this year with Malahide and Enniscorthy.

Enniscorthy have a lot of young players so they may well have pretty strong subs. They're strong favourites to win the division IMO.

With or without the 1900 on board 1

Ciaran wrote: »
    Enniscorthy have a lot of young players so they may well have pretty strong subs. They're strong favourites to win the division IMO.
    Yeah, but if you predict the favorite to win, nobody goes "wow" when you're right :D

Yeah, but if you back anyone else, people are liable to go "What the hell were you thinking?" when the favourites come cantering home.

• Advertisement

Pffft, Bodley. :D

Besides, I seem to remember last year people saying Wicklow was going to romp home with it and only Gonzaga had any hope of coming close... :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement