Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Know your elves #4 washiskin

Options
  • 19-09-2014 7:24am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Happy Friday one and all!

So this thread will be active for about a week giving you plenty of time to drop in and ask any questions you may have for Washiskin.

I'll kick it off with some standard questions,

1) What is your favourite thing about Christmas?
    2) What brought you to the Christmas Forum on boards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Thanks LoughC ....

It's hard to pinpoint one favourite thing about Christmas to be honest, nostalgia, food, the decorations & lights all play a massive part but I suppose it's the Family and making people happy even if it's just for a week. :)

I think I was noodling around the forums that I normally wouldn't look at when I discovered Christmas and my first post was about The Muppet Christmas Carol (naturally :D)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Do you have a favourite festive film? (is it The Muppet Christmas Carol?!) :pac:

What is your favourite Christmas song?

What is your favourite carol?

Do you listen to Christmas FM every year?

Yes, it probably is Posy, but I do love the Patrick Stewart one too. I also love Fred Claus despite Vince Vaughn & The Santa Clause. :)

Asking me to pick a favourite Christmas Song would be like asking me to pick between Roses & Quality Street. :eek: But I have a soft spot for anything Bing, and if I had to chose I suppose Shaky & Quo would be up there too.

The Wexford Carol, Silent Night & Hark! The Herald Angels Sing I like a lot of others too - Good King Wenceslas is jolly....

Are you kidding me?! I can barely sleep the night before it goes on air! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

What's the one thing you think of when you hear the word 'Christmas'?

What's the one thing you think of when you hear the word 'Christmas'?

A lit Christmas Tree. I know it sounds kind of shallow..... :o

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

In your opinion, who is the best movie Scrooge? (I've never seen the Patrick Stewart one, obviously need to remedy this asap)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

washiskin wrote: »
    A lit Christmas Tree. I know it sounds kind of shallow..... :o

Not even close to shallow! :)

Scarinae wrote: »
    In your opinion, who is the best movie Scrooge? (I've never seen the Patrick Stewart one, obviously need to remedy this asap)

Bill Murray was a complete a-hole Scrooge (& tends to get overlooked), Albert Finney was great in the musical version from 1970, Patrick Stewart is amazing as a cantankerous old miser & I have a real soft spot for Michael Caine. So. as you can see it's hard to pick one. :) But for sticking as close to the book as possible, Patrick Stewart wins out.

I'm gutted I never got to see his one man stage show of it.

Tommy Steele was great in the BGET a few years ago - but I used to think he was the business when I was little anyway :o

p.s. here's a little teaser for you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

What was the best present "santy" brought you?
    Do you make christmas pudding?
    Which do you prefer Christmas eve or Christmas day?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Hello there!

Here are some questions for you!

Are you an early riser come Christmas morning or do you lie in?

Do you tend to have small get together with your loved ones or would you prefer a massive Christmas dinner full of family and friends?

Most expensive Christmas decoration you own?

Most expensive present you've ever bought for someone?

What has to happen for it to finally be Christmas time for you? For a lot of people it's when their decorations go up or when their favourite Christmas ad is on etc.

Finally, I'm from Mars, explain to me what Christmas is, how much does it mean to you? :)

• Advertisement

delw wrote: »
    What was the best present "santy" brought you?
    Do you make christmas pudding?
    Which do you prefer Christmas eve or Christmas day?

When I was 7 Santy brought me a Kitchen Set. There were a lot of utensils (even unusual things like a pastry crimpimg wheel & an icing bag w/ nozzles) and they were made of real metal & plastic; but what blew me away were the little cooking pots;
    il_340x270.603414371_d4an.jpg
    because they were the exact replica of what my Mam had at the time. :eek:
    I mean , how did Santy KNOW we had pots like that?? ;)

Yes, I make Pudding - in fact I may start them this weekend. I usually stick up a set of Christmas Lights for the time I'm mixing them too.

Hmmm.....that's another hard one. Probably Christmas Eve. When we were kids we used to go into the local town every Christmas Eve afternoon with my late Dad and then get a nosebag on the way home. As we got older & I usually had to work he's come in at my break time & we'd go shopping. He normally would get us our gift from him and it could be anything we wanted (within reason, of course, I mean who's going to find Simon le Bon in Navan??:rolleyes:) and we'd help him pick out his present for Mam.

Christmas Day goes too quickly, I cook dinner in my Mam's.

Hello there!

Here are some questions for you!

Are you an early riser come Christmas morning or do you lie in?

Do you tend to have small get together with your loved ones or would you prefer a massive Christmas dinner full of family and friends?

Most expensive Christmas decoration you own?

Most expensive present you've ever bought for someone?

What has to happen for it to finally be Christmas time for you? For a lot of people it's when their decorations go up or when their favourite Christmas ad is on etc.

Finally, I'm from Mars, explain to me what Christmas is, how much does it mean to you? :)

I'm usually up at cock-crow, that Turkey won't cook itself! :D

Up to recently, it used to be just me, my mam, brother & uncle for Christmas, but now my o/h and mam's cousin also come to hers for dinner & there may be 2 more guests this year yet (my o/h's mum & sister). My other siblings spend Christmas day in their own houses but my youngest sister usually pops in to see us briefly. It's just enough people as the house is quite small, but it's very easy going.

Like I said else where in the forum, I don't have particularly expensive decorations, most of them have sentimental value which is priceless to me. :)

Ooooh, most expensive present I've bought someone......I got my o/h a Woodturning course last year....that was quite pricey but very much worth it.

As Christmas is never far from my mind, it takes something special to kick the season off officially; I suppose Christmas FM's first morning is the initial one but it's when I hear the Barry's Tea radio ad.....that's when I KNOW it's Christmas.

Christmas is the one time of year when every one of us gets the chance to be at our very best, our kindest, our warmest towards others & our most generous with our time. Taking a short time to stop & ask after another & wish them the compliments of the season could be the one time in the year that they feel valued - so mean it with a good heart. It's a week for family, friends & even strangers and it's the time that we will remember fondly the ones gone before us. When my turn comes, I would like people to say I did Christmas well.

Phew.... I feel like I should end this post with a "God bless us.....every one" :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Washiskin do you have a set date that decorations come out each year?
    christmas night is there a much watch on TV for you and the family?

SarahLil wrote: »
    Washiskin do you have a set date that decorations come out each year?

christmas night is there a much watch on TV for you and the family?

Officially, on or after the 8th of December, but I do have some discretely up all year. :o I tried to organise my "putting away" a bit better last January so I won't be tearing the place asunder looking for a particular ornament.

As I'm in my mother's I have to abide by her fearsome remote control hiding skills, so whatever she wants to watch goes. :) Besides, I'm usually wrecked after the day so it's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Altoid

Hi,

If you were going away for Christmas - where would you like to go?

Would you like another white Christmas?

What is your favourite Christmas drink?

- Al

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

You've been asked to cook a three course Christmas dinner. What would you cook?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Have you started your Christmas shopping yet? If not, when do you expect to start?

Are there any bits of the 'traditional' Christmas dinner that you would dump?

Do you have any Christmas jumpers? If so, describe!

Would you ever spend Christmas abroad, or are you a homebird?

What is your earliest Christmas memory?

Altoid wrote: »
    Hi,

If you were going away for Christmas - where would you like to go?

Would you like another white Christmas?

What is your favourite Christmas drink?

- Al

Highly unlikely I would ever go away, but if I did I would want a Christmas like the Wham! Last Christmas Video. The log cabin, the snow, the cosy fire.... George Michael....... :P

Yes, I would love another white Christmas IF I didn't have trouble travelling. :D When you have scenes like the one below who wouldn't??

Favourite Christmas drink is either mulled wine, mulled cider or a cocktail called winter warmer.

Loughc wrote: »
    You've been asked to cook a three course Christmas dinner. What would you cook?

Ooooh...choices, choices...

Well since I cook for plain enough eaters I'll have to go with the tried & trusted Soup, Turkey & Ham with all the trimmings (creamed AND roasted spuds :D) and, after washing up, a really nice dessert.
    This is where it can go a bit wonky.....everyone says they'll eat whatever dessert I make but a couple of years ago there was a grinning match about it not being Baked Alaska that year....some people just can't be pleased :rolleyes:

I'm mulling over potato, roast garlic & smoked salmon soup this year.... can't wait to test it shortly. And I'm considering an apple crumble cake with hot custard for dessert - since we wash up after the main & then adjourn to the sitting room for the dessert it might be a nice telly-watching sweet.

Scarinae wrote: »
    Have you started your Christmas shopping yet? If not, when do you expect to start?

Are there any bits of the 'traditional' Christmas dinner that you would dump?

Do you have any Christmas jumpers? If so, describe!

Would you ever spend Christmas abroad, or are you a homebird?

What is your earliest Christmas memory?

I have a few bits bought for me to give & I have a good few things bought for my mam to give - the Homestore & More sale came in handy there :)

Honestly, I wouldn't dump any of the traditional stuff - there will always be someone complaining if I took something off the "menu" but I do change things - like I discovered my Uncle hates parsnips so I don't mash them up with the carrots anymore, just roast them separately. For years the dreaded sprouts were neglected & often went straight out to the hens, until about 17 years ago when I started cooking them with chestnuts & bacon now they get completely snaffled. :)

I have 1 Jumper - I bought it from Christmas FM a few years ago - it has a dotey Reindeer on the front with a green white & red pattern.

Total homebird....didn't even stay in my own place in Dublin when I was younger. :rolleyes:

I'd love to say I could remember it when I was a really small child, but my earliest memory is from when I was 4 & Santy left a big red & white teddy bear for my youngest sister who was about 5 months old and my middle sister & I were concerned that the teddy was bigger than she was. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Altoid

Hi,

Where are your favorite places to shop for Christmas decorations? Have you ever waited outside for them to open?

Do you like modern one colour decorated tress or go for more traditional mix up of everything?

Have you ever made your own decorations?

Is there any musician you would like to do a Christmas song that hasn't? Is there any artist you wish hadn't made a Christmas song?

By the end of the Christmas season what songs are driving you mad because you are hearing them too much?

- Al.

Altoid wrote: »
    Hi,

Where are your favorite places to shop for Christmas decorations? Have you ever waited outside for them to open?

Do you like modern one colour decorated tress or go for more traditional mix up of everything?

Have you ever made your own decorations?

Is there any musician you would like to do a Christmas song that hasn't? Is there any artist you wish hadn't made a Christmas song?

By the end of the Christmas season what songs are driving you mad because you are hearing them too much?

- Al.

The Anvil in Bray, Stock in Dublin & I found After Noah in London via Twitter. Don't think I ever waited outside but I have begun asking when the decorations were going out in June.:o

Single colour or theme trees do look lovely, but I prefer the old fashioned collected over the years look :) My sister insisted on a tree with solely Disney decorations up until recently & is now hunting vintage stuff & lights.:rolleyes:

Yes, I've knitted some this year. I made paper chains a few years ago too.

I would love Duran Duran to do a Christmas song (Apart from their role in Do They Know It's Christmas?) and I dearly wish Britney Spears never croaked a note especially that Santa Can You Hear Me? rubbish :mad: In fact the cynicism of record companies using Christmas to ensure royalties for even the dodgiest of acts bugs the crap out of me.
    At the risk of getting banned from the Forum, if I never hear Fairytale Of New York again, I'll be happy after the utter overkill on the radio last year :( The saddest part of that is it was my Dad's favourite.

Thanks, Altoid. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭liamo22

You have to either work Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. Which one do you choose?

Aw Liam!! :D I suppose Chrstmas Eve as I used to work it when I was in retail. I didn't mind having to work it....much... it was the having to go back the day after St Stephen's Day used to bother me when the rest of the family were off.

I worked in a Hallmark shop for 3 Christmases & without fail at closing time on Christmas Eve there would be an influx of men rather the worse for wear shopping for a card for the Mrs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

give me a low down of your typical christmas eve and day- all detail required inc. food, drinks consumer etc!:D

snowgal wrote: »
    give me a low down of your typical christmas eve and day- all detail required inc. food, drinks consumer etc!:D

Christmas Eve at about 7 I get up to get our old range going to get the Turkey started. I get the Ham on too & steep the onion for the bread sauce. A feast of toasted stollen, mince pie & chai tea for breakfast. At about 10 I head into Navan for a wander about town - the atmosphere is always so lovely and maybe get anything I've forgotten. Then home again for a rib sticker of a meal as it's the only time I get to eat anything until much later. Then we head off again to pick up our own Turkey, Ham & veg for the dinner I do in my own home on St Stephen's Day.
    Home again to make stuffings & condiments, whatever dessert is requested & finish wrapping presents.
    At 10pm I head to my Mother's to prep the veg for the next day. Then I head to Midnight Mass in Drogheda & it could be 1-1.30 before I'm home as getting to see the crib can take time. :) When I get back to mine myself & my o/h have nibbles & mulled wine /beer before going to bed.

Next morning we arise & himself makes a massive fry-up while I crack on with glazing the ham & slicing the turkey & cooking the stuffings. As soon as it's done we pack-up & head off to my mother's to get the dinner started. The rest of the party chat away while we get the dinner together and then it's tuck -in time.:D

After dinner I usually collapse on the sofa while my brother & o/h wash up. We crack open a tin of sweets & watch a bit of telly & then all too soon, my brother heads off to collect his Mrs from her parents & my uncle heads off. My o/h goes back to ours & I stick around to make a bailey's coffee & nibbles for my mam & her cousin and eventually head home. After a couple of drinks for ourselves, we usually hit the sack about 1am .....to get up & start all over again:D:D

As today is my last day of "Elf Exposé" I want to say thanks & I hope "Wash Does Christmas" was ok for you. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Christmas Eve at about 7 I get up to get our old range going to get the Turkey started. I get the Ham on too & steep the onion for the bread sauce. A feast of toasted stollen, mince pie & chai tea for breakfast. At about 10 I head into Navan for a wander about town - the atmosphere is always so lovely and maybe get anything I've forgotten. Then home again for a rib sticker of a meal as it's the only time I get to eat anything until much later. Then we head off again to pick up our own Turkey, Ham & veg for the dinner I do in my own home on St Stephen's Day.
    Home again to make stuffings & condiments, whatever dessert is requested & finish wrapping presents.
    At 10pm I head to my Mother's to prep the veg for the next day. Then I head to Midnight Mass in Drogheda & it could be 1-1.30 before I'm home as getting to see the crib can take time. :) When I get back to mine myself & my o/h have nibbles & mulled wine /beer before going to bed.

Next morning we arise & himself makes a massive fry-up while I crack on with glazing the ham & slicing the turkey & cooking the stuffings. As soon as it's done we pack-up & head off to my mother's to get the dinner started. The rest of the party chat away while we get the dinner together and then it's tuck -in time.:D

After dinner I usually collapse on the sofa while my brother & o/h wash up. We crack open a tin of sweets & watch a bit of telly & then all too soon, my brother heads off to collect his Mrs from her parents & my uncle heads off. My o/h goes back to ours & I stick around to make a bailey's coffee & nibbles for my mam & her cousin and eventually head home. After a couple of drinks for ourselves, we usually hit the sack about 1am .....to get up & start all over again:D:D

As today is my last day of "Elf Exposé" I want to say thanks & I hope "Wash Does Christmas" was ok for you. :)
    That actually sounds so idyllic and tranquil, bet you always have a great day.

Definitely enjoyed this thread and again thanks for answering my question!

Here's to the next thread :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Thanks washiskin for another great thread! :D

Advertisement