Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner; Any of these pistols good enough?

• 18-09-2014 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭

Hey guys. I'm a beginner and looking to get a feel of airsoft. Would be shooting targets for the moment. Wanted electric as I didn't know anything about air soft guns and would like the least hassle possible, for now.

http://www.mainirishairsoft.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=55

Please tell me if any of these are okay or please redirect me to the suitable gun for me for around €100 or less. Thanks a lot guys. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭lockmaster

go for a gas blow back operated pistol more of a kick and more realistic . any gas operated pistol . or go for an electric m4 operated rifle .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

If your starting out i would suggest a rifle.
    For many reasons if you go to play a game on one of the many sites you wuld be out gunned by the guys with rifles. Secondly GBB (Gas Blow Back) pistols take a lot of to maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

andy_g wrote: »
    If your starting out i would suggest a rifle.
    For many reasons if you go to play a game on one of the many sites you wuld be out gunned by the guys with rifles. Secondly GBB (Gas Blow Back) pistols take a lot of to maintain.

This was my problem with GBBs. I wouldn't know how to maintain them. Could you suggest a rifle? Lowest reasonable price? Around 100 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

A decent Gbb wouldnt take much to maintain been honest ,
    There more fun than the aep battery powered ones ,

If your looking for a started rifle havw you any idea what you would actually like ,

Preference wise

Gatling wrote: »

If your looking for a started rifle havw you any idea what you would actually like ,

Preference wise

I've read somewhere that M4s are pretty much like 'Japanese cars in Japan'. Parts are everywhere and cheap . So I was thinking that was a good gun to start with?

• Advertisement

I've read somewhere that M4s are pretty much like 'Japanese cars in Japan'. Parts are everywhere and cheap . So I was thinking that was a good gun to start with?

Pretty much thats its , you can replace everything on an m4 for from barrels to stocks and handguards,

Your looking at €160 + for a decent brand new one through ,

If your only starting out i wouldn't bother with 2nd hand it would probably cost you more in the long run especially if it wasn't well maintained

Pretty much thats its , you can replace everything on an m4 for from barrels to stocks and handguards,

Your looking at €160 + for a decent brand new one through ,

If your only starting out i wouldn't bother with 2nd hand it would probably cost you more in the long run especially if it wasn't well maintained

I've been looking at brand new M4s as well but I just don't know what is good quality and what isn't. Which is why I ask you good people to link me to one if it's possible :P :P Thanks a lot for all the help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Adzski

Preference wise

Personal preference as always. :-)

Cyma G18c AEP is more fun in the cold when the GBB boys are having problems with the lower temperatures....

• Advertisement

Adzski wrote: »
    Personal preference as always. :-)

Cyma G18c AEP is more fun in the cold when the GBB boys are having problems with the lower temperatures....

Tokyo mauri Every time .all the fun and little cool down problems.
    More accurate
    More range
    Hard kick
    Tons of upgrade options .

I've had aeps, .non blowbacks, co2 none come close to my mauri's

Thanks for all the help guys. I will definitely be getting an M4.

Another question, I will be going home to Philippines for holidays. If guns were cheaper there and I was to bring one back, what are the rules regarding import and stuff? Anyone know? I've googled a little bit and results were always showing rules regarding shipping one in and not bringing one yourself.

Yep.....I have a Tokyo Marui G18C AEP.

240-250 fps and 9rps with a LiPo fitted.

Couple of 100rd magazines....no cool down problems ;-)

Also I would not discount 2nd hand purchases, dependent on seller.
    I have seen some very reasonable guns sold on here, well maintained by enthusiasts.

Not hard to review previous posts (of a seller if available) to get a general idea.

Also seen new unused or hardly used at great prices....recent couple from a seller called TheDoc??

Personally, I would have no hesitation buying from some of the senior/longer standing members/mods on these boards :-)

Thanks for all the help guys. I will definitely be getting an M4.

Another question, I will be going home to Philippines for holidays. If guns were cheaper there and I was to bring one back, what are the rules regarding import and stuff? Anyone know? I've googled a little bit and results were always showing rules regarding shipping one in and not bringing one yourself.

Just wanted to quote this question I had a post back in case anyone missed it.

Should I create a new thread for a new question or leave it for now?

This was taken from another post:
    Provided the gun fires less than 328fps with .2g bb's and is an airsoft replica should be fine, you won't incur and duty charges because it was bought within the EU.[end quote]

So I would assume that if you didn't want to ask the retailer to ship back to Ireland and mark the packaging, you could declare the RIF to customs on entry and pay the fees.

Would suggest the best information would be obtained by calling/emailing the Revenue direct :-)

Cheers,

Adam

Provided the gun fires less than 328fps with .2g bb's and is an airsoft replica should be fine, you won't incur and duty charges because it was bought within the EU.[end quote]

So I would assume that if you didn't want to ask the retailer to ship back to Ireland and mark the packaging, you could declare the RIF to customs on entry and pay the fees.

Would suggest the best information would be obtained by calling/emailing the Revenue direct :-)

Cheers,

Adam

Thanks for the info. I will definitely call around. Airlines and airports, too maybe.

As I see it, I have three options.
    1 is to buy in Philippines and ship it here and risk customs here investigating and everything.
    2 is to bring it with me
    3 is to buy here.

I think option 2 is the best for me provided I call everyone I need to prior to the flight. I will post back with results here after calling around for anyone who might need the info. :)

Thanks for the info. I will definitely call around. Airlines and airports, too maybe.

As I see it, I have three options.
    1 is to buy in Philippines and ship it here and risk customs here investigating and everything.
    2 is to bring it with me
    3 is to buy here.

I think option 2 is the best for me provided I call everyone I need to prior to the flight. I will post back with results here after calling around for anyone who might need the info. :)

It can get siezed in the airport too it's it's not downgraded below 1 joule your asking for trouble and consider the Philippines has a lot higher fps than here

It can get siezed in the airport too it's it's not downgraded below 1 joule your asking for trouble and consider the Philippines has a lot higher fps than here

I've read about that and I was planning on getting a gun that has less than 1 joule. Is that possible do you think? I've contacted a shop and they're not responding so I don't know what specs they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

If it is not in a gun case and the airlines dont know about it will be seized.

andy_g wrote: »
    If it is not in a gun case and the airlines dont know about it will be seized.

I'm willing to do everything they want me to. I am willing to declare and get everything. I just have to know what 'everything' is.

This is just because I would rather go through all that rather than having it shipped and then stopped by customs for whatever reason they want and me not being able to do anything other than wait.

What do you guys think? Again, I am willing to follow all the rules.

• Advertisement

To save yourself any potential hassle id buy from an irish retailer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

The airlines will treat it as if it was a firearm. So it must be packaged to meet those requirements.
    Contact your airline and ask them what they want.

Dogwatch wrote: »
    The airlines will treat it as if it was a firearm. So it must be packaged to meet those requirements.
    Contact your airline and ask them what they want.

I was thinking that I really really didn't mind any of the checks. I would've declared, made sure it was under 1 Joule, had the proper case and all other requirements but I kind of thought about everything today and resolved into buying from an irish retailer. Only thing that made me change my mind is IF they made me pay a fee or something. And I couldn't be bothered to contact anyone regarding that :P

But knowing Philippines everything, would be cheaper there. What accessories/parts should I get there that the customs/airlines wouldn't care about?

Advertisement