Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Div 2 Heidenfeld Trophy 2014 - 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There's been an update to the fixtures after Kilkenny dropped out of the league...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Yeah, Kilkenny gone alright. Always annoying, especially for the teams who should have been promoted in their stead, but that's the way I guess.

My predictions -

1 - Celbridge by a distance
    2 - Hard to say really. No-one stands out for me. Curragh are fairly ordinary and got promoted two years ago (and came straight back down). Rathmines A maybe?
    3 - St Benildus :)

Relegation -
    11 - Inchicore B (sorry guys! Have to go with someone!) If I reckon Phibsboro are in trouble in the Armstrong, that'll factor through here as well. Lucan were fairly weak as well last year, though they stayed up handy enough. Only takes one player having a really bad season to be looking over your shoulder.

First result - St Benildus 1-0 Celbridge; rest of the games on Wednesday. Overcame a 300+ rating gap to win! We're going to cause a lot of teams problems this year; got a very solid squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭flipsake

Celbridge to win and Inchicore A to get promoted to the Armstrong for the first time in their 43 year history.
    No idea about relegation. Maybe Benildus, although that is a good start alright against Celbridge.

I wonder how Inchicore having two teams will affect their A team? Always makes subs that bit harder. Otherwise, they could be a good shout alright.

We're considerably stronger than last year. Would be very disappointed if we're down near the bottom. I expect to a bit of fun for a change this season! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

The Curragh will be the surprise of this division ;)

• Advertisement

Second straight relegation, you reckon? :p

Would be more surprising than a relegated side challenging for an immediate return to the top flight I'd say!

Course, realistically we only really know about our own clubs. I'll believe you'll be a surprise if you believe we'll be one too? :)

haha, I'm not on this team this year so its out of my hands! Of course, sure Benildus are always a surprise!

Getting bumped down is usually a sign of an improved team in fairness (or else you've had a bad year :) )

I was board 1 for a couple of games last season. I might actually be board 8 on Wednesday! And I've only lost 40 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭checknraise

Instead of just withdrawing Kilkenny from the league why didnt the LCU promote of the stronger teams in a lower division?

Off the top of my head I would have through one of Round Tower, Blanchardstown or Gonzaga would be favorites to win the Heidenfeld.

I guess the problem is that the fixtures are upon us; first round is this week and teams are getting arranged. You might suddenly have to change from playing on Saturday week down the country to playing three or four days before that at home. It's a bit awkward.

Obviously it would have been nice had Kilkenny withdrawn earlier to allow promotions as you say. But they did this a couple of years ago too when withdrawing from the Ennis after the first round had started. That's why I proposed a motion at the LCU AGM a couple of years back that clubs confirm their participation in divisions by 31 August (or whenever it was), with penalties on remaining teams if they subsequently withdrew.

Gonzaga haven't the strength to win the Heidenfeld. The other two might well have, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Instead of just withdrawing Kilkenny from the league why didnt the LCU promote of the stronger teams in a lower division?

Off the top of my head I would have through one of Round Tower, Blanchardstown or Gonzaga would be favorites to win the Heidenfeld.

Third place in the Ennis should have been promoted. Rejigging the fixtures might have been awkward for the first couple of rounds but should have been doable. I doubt any of the teams would complain, I'd appreciate an 11th game anyway.

You've also got to re-jig that down each of the other divisions - promote third place in the O'Hanlon, BA and Bodley too.

I can see that it would be a lot more awkward given the short notice at which it occurred. Though interestingly, at the same time, Portmarnock withdrew from the Bodley and were replaced with Naomh Barróg. So Blanchardstown have changed from travelling to Portmarnock on 2nd October to now going to Naomh Barróg on (I think) 30th September.

I think the bigger issue is the idea of minimising the number of games clubs play on any one day, and I think the fixtures software identifies clubs' consecutive teams and tries to minimise clashes with them (for sub reasons). In that case, re-doing the fixtures for five divisions may have been quite awkward. Unless the computer could do it automatically, of course.

Third place in the Ennis last year was Elm Mount - they're at home to Longford on Saturday. They'd instead have to host Lucan on Saturday week. Elm Mount's fixtures could go to Dún Laoghaire, third in the O'Hanlon - who'd now have to host Longford on Saturday instead of Round Tower next Wednesday. Sure, you can postpone games a couple of weeks (though the calendar is very tight), but you can see the logistical problems of cancelling games three days in advance.

I think this (again) comes down to that Kilkenny should have been more organised.

Games against the new team could have been delayed by a week or three for the first round to give teams time to organise. One or two clashes of dates for Bavaria seems like a lesser evil than leaving a division short a team. It's annoying extra work for the LCU but it'd be better than the current situation IMO.

Bavaria??

cdeb wrote: »
    Bavaria??
    Stupid phone!

I don't know what I meant to type exactly but meant something like clubs' consecutive teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭caissa007

I suppose replacing Portmarnock with Naomh Barróg in the Bodley at least avoids the cascade affect to the lower divisions you mentioned in your previous post re Kilkenny ......

Woops. Inchicore B 4.5 Inchicore A 3.5. Ridiculous but true. Deciding game was played tonight.
    Changing my prediction if that's allowed. Inchicore B for promotion on Celbridge's coat tails.

Benildus 5.5-2.5 Celbridge. :eek:

Won on boards 1 and 3 despite rating gaps of 500 and 350 points!

And all that without the new board 1 we sourced earlier in the day, who's looking to get back to playing for us after a few seasons off.

Gonna be a good season! :)

Just looking there - our Armstrong only beat Celbridge 4½-3½ last season!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

cdeb wrote: »
    Just looking there - our Armstrong only beat Celbridge 4½-3½ last season!
    Yes, with your giant-killing board 1 drawing with their board 8! :)

And I drew on 7 in the Armstrong and won on 6 in the Heidenfeld.

All very strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Team report on Round 1 up on the St.Benildus website now.

Great win against the 2nd favorites! Blows second spot wide open now!

Great win for Benildus alright. Well done to you lads.
    I'm giving up making predictions now. This league could be quite open this year.

Curragh 6 Phibsboro 2

St Benildus 5 - 3 Drogheda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Irish Warrior

Celbridge 4 - 3 Inchicore B

One game to play on Thursday in Inchicore.

Impressive start to the season for Inchicore B so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Irish Warrior

With no illusions and because we have two teams in the league our B team is just in it for survival.

After the 1st round there are possible 5 teams that can challenge for the top 2 spots and having played 2 of them with an almost 50% return we are happy.

3 points was our "hope" going to Celbridge, and getting that with one game to go is more than we thought we'd get.

Advertisement